• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

tires sticking out + tickets?

floppy

NAXJA Forum User
So i did a search and found this topic in other states but want to do an informal poll if anyone got sweated or ticketed for having the tires stick out farther than the fricking factory fender flares (4 f's pretty cool). I will be going 15x8 rims with 3.75 BS, 32" or 33" tires 10.50 wide i think.

floppy said:
So i did a search and found this topic in other states but want to do an informal poll if anyone got sweated or ticketed for having the tires stick out farther than the fricking factory fender flares (4 f's pretty cool). I will be going 15x8 rims with 3.75 BS, 32" or 33" tires 10.50 wide i think.

You could always find a cop willing to write a ticket, give them a reason.

:D

33x10.5 on 15x8 with 4.5" back space, it JUST barely sticks out past the flare up front, it's fine in the rear. Factory flares on a 91. Cut and raised the fronts. No issues, just don't drive like a moron. I'll probably get stopped for no rear license plate light before flares.

I've got no flares and cut metal and my little 30"s stick out. CHP pulled me over last week for a speeding ticket and although he didn't say anything about the tires being so far out he did give them a pretty good look. If thats worth anything.

floppy said:

I live in Garden Grove and thats what I am running. If you want to check it out in person PM me your number or something.

honestly my front tires stick out about 6 inches from the flares and the only time anyone said anything about it has been when I toss up rocks on the trail, different tires now so I hope that issue is gone too.

I run 35x12.5s, on a 10" wide with 3.75" BS wheel and no flares. It sticks out probably about 5"s and ive pulled up right next to a cop, no doors, wheels stickin out, and ive never had a problem with the police.

I think its one of those things that depends on which cop you get and how he feels that day.

I run 31x10.50 on 15X8 3.75 BS and stock flares and the tires are about flush with the flares. My rig is not extreme looking at all and I have never been pulled over (oh sh*t did I just jinx myself)

Baja500_2008%20110a.jpg

35x12.5s on 3.75 steels and I get followed a lot, but have yet to been pulled over for that.

My tires stick out a lot! I got 32x11.5 on a 15 inch rim 11 inches wide with a huge offset. I got all 4 tires off a wrangler used but lot of tread left for 175. I ordered some new steelies from summit 15x8 with 4 inch bs I just got them havent mounted yet, but I hope it tucks them in a bit! Anyone want some 15x11 inch alum american racing rims?

.....sticks out a couple of feet, live across the street from the Costa Mesa PD. I believe Santa has been pulled over once and let go....on good behavior. Cops dont wanna pull ya over at this point because it would be too much paperwork for them.

My old YJ was fullwidth & compcut, drove home from reno with no plates (in the rain and snow), drove just about everyday, and still no ticket.
--KNOCK ON WOOD--
I would say run it then fix it if you get hassled by the fuzz.
PB010183.jpg

DSCN1450.jpg

I think it depends on what county you're in... I know that OC cops don't seem to be as leinient as Riverside PD... The inland empire is full of huge lifted trucks with tires sticking out and most seem to get away with it.
Just dont give em a reason to pull you over!!

Jump This said:
You could always find a cop willing to write a ticket, give them a reason.

:D

All you have to do is fail the attitude test. :nono:

I have 5.5" of lift, 35x12.50 on 5x8 with 3.75" backspacing. No flares. No problems. Although I've heard people getting tickets for no mud flaps.

At the SoCal Fest in Big Bear, I took this pic after I noticed just how much Santa's tires stick out. The INSIDE of the tire is practically on the outside of the body.

5150xj said:
All you have to do is fail the attitude test. :nono:
Exactly. I ran a stop sign in Riverside (at night because i was focusing on the cop behind me, instead of the road...) and the cop pulled me over but let me go because of my "honesty and good demeanor".
Just be cool, don't do anything to piss them off and you should be good.

I'm running 32x11.5x15 on 15x10 with 3.75 backspace. I think they stick out a good 3 inches.

The only question I was asked was "Where's the weapon?"

In Texas it is mandatory that you carry a pistol. We use them to signal turns, and lane changes. They're pretty serious about it here. :banghead:

It was for speeding. I told him the speedo was off because of the larger tires. He let me go with a warning. :clap:

I just got pulled over "because my tires were sticking out to far" last week, the officer said I needed to have mud flaps, but that the amount (about 2") they were sticking out probably wouldn't lead to a ticket. 32"x11.5" x15" 3.75" backspacing, stock flares rear, none in front for now as I just did some cutting for clearance.

Back