• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Just got rolled for my tires sticking out too far

I would just rivet on some velcro to the body and use some old velcro high tops stuck to it....they would work....try and find some black Reeboks, they were the shit back in the 80's and they would be black like a flare...

I would just rivet on some velcro to the body and use some old velcro high tops stuck to it....they would work....try and find some black Reeboks, they were the shit back in the 80's and they would be black like a flare...

By FAR the best suggestion yet!

I've got a pair in the closet upstairs I think... but they didn't have the velcro tops. My old man wouldn't let me get any shoes that looked like a 'ghetto thumper' would wear.

BTW.. I used Menard's cheapy lawn edging and some self tapping screws... looks like ass.. but it covers the tires and cost about $7

Garden edging plastic junk...Cheap way to get legal, cheap to replace... Ugly as sin. Sounds like a good fit with an XJ :dunno:

Garden edging plastic junk...Cheap way to get legal, cheap to replace... Ugly as sin. Sounds like a good fit with an XJ :dunno:

That's not a bad idea, it will probably look a lot like the bwacker flats too. Might have to run by my local home improvement warehouse tomorrow and check it out.

I love Indiana! :D

Not to get to far off topic, but.... I once did an insane amount of research on Indiana vehicle mod laws. Indiana doesn't allow mods of more than 3" up or down from stock. Cars, trucks, jeeps, etc... This was over 10 years ago when I found this on a .gov website. I may dig again.

Glad they let it slide.. Kind of like 7,000 pound license plates on 8,000 pound trucks.

Big 'tipsy' Hank

Not to get to far off topic, but.... I once did an insane amount of research on Indiana vehicle mod laws. Indiana doesn't allow mods of more than 3" up or down from stock. Cars, trucks, jeeps, etc... This was over 10 years ago when I found this on a .gov website. I may dig again.

Glad they let it slide.. Kind of like 7,000 pound license plates on 8,000 pound trucks.

Big 'tipsy' Hank

Yeah but you've seen some of the big unsafe Chebby's on 40's around here drive right past the police! :D

Yeah but you've seen some of the big unsafe Chebby's on 40's around here drive right past the police! :D

Police have priorities and luckily it rarely involves busting middle aged men in lifted station wagons... As for the Chevy guys, they're even luckier we have some very friendly officers.

Hank

Big 'tipsy' Hank

30 inch bumper height...

mac 'yup the buggy passes one of two' gyvr

30 inch bumper height...

mac 'yup the buggy passes one of two' gyvr

Mac, I full agree on the bumper height now. I was able to find one article from 2000 that said bumper within 3 inches of factory...

I know a magazine article doesn't trump a law or code...

Big 'no worries' Hank

Glad I never drove the CJ to WI. I don't think more than an inch of my my 37" mtr's sat under my fender flares.

at least you had fenders.

I drove to Attica a few years ago with no fenders and no tire coverage at all in the rear. Even drove past some highway patrol.

Mac, I full agree on the bumper height now. I was able to find one article from 2000 that said bumper within 3 inches of factory...

I know a magazine article doesn't trump a law or code...

Big 'no worries' Hank

Way off topic, but worth Pursing for a tiny bit.

Each State has their own Vehicle Standards, and they are usually decided by the legislature of that State. They publish this information and Indiana is no different. http://www.in.gov/legislative/ic/code/title9/ar21/

Wisconsin has 2 Separate, but overlapping bits of Legislation covering equipment.
Chapter (Trans) 305 http://docs.legis.wisconsin.gov/code/admin_code/trans/305.pdf
Statute 348
http://docs.legis.wisconsin.gov/statutes/statutes/347.pdf
Both can be found here:
http://www.dot.wisconsin.gov/drivers/lawbook.htm

I've been bagged a few times in Mass, mostly warnings, verbal or otherwise.

Our lift laws are really screwy. You get up to (wheelbase * wheel track) / 2200 inches above or below the tallest or shortest stock suspension height, separately applied to tire radius and suspension height change. So an XJ can get away with about 3.5" and MJs get a little more.

They have bugged me about fenders but I don't stick out that much, rear fenders cover pretty nicely and fronts are gone, but if I want to get my inspection sticker soon I'm going to have to do something about it. Will probably toss some rear TJ flares on the front, then swap on my winter 31s and call it good.

I mostly drive it out of state, where no one seems to care what my vehicle looks like... which is a good thing.

Back