• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

The Bronzewyrm Evolution

more pics...
S7300173.jpg

S7300174.jpg

S7300180.jpg

S7300182.jpg

S7300175.jpg

I don't want to come off as an a$$ or anything. But those welds are pretty cold and stringy and I'm sure they don't have much penetration. If I were you I would grind them down and find someone with a good size 240v welder to do some aggressive hot passes over them.

Im only telling you this because I don't want to see you stranded somewhere with a major to impossible repair to get of the trail and 90 miles home.

Dave

I don't want to come off as an a$$ or anything. But those welds are pretty cold and stringy and I'm sure they don't have much penetration. If I were you I would grind them down and find someone with a good size 240v welder to do some aggressive hot passes over them.

Im only telling you this because I don't want to see you stranded somewhere with a major to impossible repair to get of the trail and 90 miles home.

Dave

after i get it back on the ground ill be hitting all the seams with dads HD180. stringy yes, cold no, i was amazed how well this welder did with this stuff. i made shure to burn them hot. hence the 70ft of wire i burnt up.

thx for the consern dave

well, i forgot i had a build thred going! After Realizing in May that i would no longer be able to keep my shop, and having the jeep in hoover mode. i had to push like a mad man to get it back on the ground and get the shop moved. i guess i just had other things in mind at the time besides the thred.

some of you may know alot of this but when i saw this thred agin i figured it was time for an update:new:

S7300332.jpg

this is what it looked like the first time i set it on the ground. ,my caster was off, steering was wack, and i wasent going to get to installing the shackel relocation brackets or 1/2 ton leaves.

i went with the Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac's 305/70/R16. there 3 ply sidewall and decent rim protection. i am running my silver star 16" wheels that came factory on the "freedom" package.

S7300265.jpg

i had recently been working on a zj and found the crosmember to be fairly beefy, and the right width for a cherokee. so i made a feiw mods and installed it as my case protection.
S7300239.jpg

Hey Bronze! I forgot about this build thread too! I had to go back and "refresh" my memory on the progression of this.... I thought you had Duratrac's on that thing before.... is that old? Or are these a different size? Good idea by the way on the ZJ cross member... I may have to go junkyard digging. (still need to get with you about my fender/header panel painting.)

Hey Bronze! I forgot about this build thread too! I had to go back and "refresh" my memory on the progression of this.... I thought you had Duratrac's on that thing before.... is that old? Or are these a different size? Good idea by the way on the ZJ cross member... I may have to go junkyard digging. (still need to get with you about my fender/header panel painting.)

they are the same. i just hadent got to update the thred since pre nwfest. im guna try to get it caught up in the next feiw days.

here is the old setup josh. 31s open open difguard, and cromos up front.
IMG_5723.jpg

so i started in on the rear, it should have been a simple bolt in afair but i had a feiw bugs. the axle came with 2x6'' pertches welded on it, plus it had raised shock mounts already done. i used the boomerang shackles off of dellstop's jeep, when i sat it down it was actualy the right heigth out of the shoot. i was straped for time and had no choice but to roll with it for the moment. i soon looked to grab ubolts, but mine wernt long enough. i thaught about it for a while and devised a plan on fabbing a elimanator kit up.

1.5"x1.5" angle iron on both sides of the pertches, drill some new holes.
a set of 8, grade 8s and away we went to bolting up.
S7300271.jpg

S7300274.jpg

i had confidence in my welds, and everything else seemed to look good on it so off the break lines i went. the e-break cables needed to be swaped off of my old one. the lengths were different, got that done. then installed the wheel spacers, 1.5". and bolted the rear up. the rear brake lines took me a couple days to figure out. but in the end it was a bolt up afair aswell. relocation brackets. shock buckets, and bastard packs would have to wait for another day.

Bronzy FYI your upper spring plate is on wrong, the bent side needs to face the spring. the square edge the way you have it has the potential to break your leaf spring. thats why they bevel them that way.

Durring mockup i noticed the front had massive flex potential, on the driver side the driveline was actualy going to make contact with the crossmember at full droop, i actualy had to raise my trans/case mount up about 1.75" higher than stock in order to keep the DS off of things. because of this i had all kinds of linkadge issues. in order to solve this issues i needed to cut a section of a linkadge arm and shotren it, aswell as replace the 10mm adjustment set screw with a rounded head allan head bolt. now i have a shorter throw on my 4x4 shifter. and i dident have to go cable. whild welding the linkadge back together i melted some plastec inserts, making my linkadge fail at times.

http://s387.photobucket.com/albums/oo317/Bronzewyrm/jeep resto/?action=view&current=0528121648.mp4

the first time it moved in 6 weeks under its own power. i had to drive it home with no rear brake lines in it and no rear bumper. i was out of time, i had to be out of the shop.
i slacked on pictures on the rest of final adjustments. i had my WP rocksliders up for sale for along time, my plan was to do rocker replacements, but i ran out of time, and all i got for offers of the sliders were Lowballs. so i bolted them back up to the pinch seam, and welded the to the new stifeners.

from this point i had 2.5 weeks to break in the front gears(500miles) and change the fluids. also dial in my caster and coil bucket location, install bumpstops, shake it down, fix post shakedown, prep for nwfest. i was still feeling the crunch.

well the weekend befor Nwfest, Mopar440 and i went on an outing to tsf. he had a new XJ and i had a new setup. plus we hadent wheeled together in nearly 2 years. so we set off to hit the trails out of rodgers stageing area.

0617120843.jpg

all was going great. i was shocked how stable/predictable the suspention system was working. i was trying to get useto all the new noises under the jeep. it felt great just a little noisy. i figured it was the griz/ausi doing there thing. Flex is no problem!
tsfbzw.jpg

i got to the famous spot on FB5. nearly folded my rear driveline, the i herd a loud PING, i thaught it was the locker unloading. "i was flexes at full stearing lock" when keith says "your coil is hung up on the bumpstop. i thaught that odd beings i hadent done the front bumpstops yet...

well i sheared the uper control arm link bracket clean off the axle tube.:eyes:
we scrached out heads for a while befor devising a plan to get it up and off of the trail. much less home.
0617121116c.jpg

0617121115.jpg

we were letting it roll back and taping the brakes to roll/adjust the caster as close as we could. we broke 3 straps and still were not getting far fast. the axle was just floping back and forth on the LCA's basicly as i hit the throdle or brakes. so we hooked up keith's xj for a little friendly tug action.
0617121131.jpg

after getting off the trail, i bolted the swaybar back up. then i removed the foot from my highlift. and used it to reset my caster back where i needed it. i then took a treesaver strap. wraped it around the crossmember and then back to the panhard bar bracket. this wedged it back. then i took the 20' strap and wraped it from the coils to the bumper to hold my coils forward off of the shocks. this got my all the way home from tsf. into the driveway, where the strap holding the majority of the caster, Broke.

glad i did a shakedown run. Thanks agin keith:wave1: the same night i got it home i welded the mount back to the tube and away i went agin. i used the big welder the second time.

NWFest Prep Begins! i really dident belive i was going to make it...

Bronzy FYI your upper spring plate is on wrong, the bent side needs to face the spring. the square edge the way you have it has the potential to break your leaf spring. thats why they bevel them that way.

ahhh. i thaught it was a strength thing. thats why i added the tube to the top of it. i recently had troubles with this and will be doing something different in the neer future. what your saying makes total since too:thumbup:

Bronze.

Durring mockup i noticed the front had massive flex potential, on the driver side the driveline was actualy going to make contact with the crossmember at full droop, i actualy had to raise my trans/case mount up about 1.75" higher than stock in order to keep the DS off of things. because of this i had all kinds of linkadge issues. in order to solve this issues i needed to cut a section of a linkadge arm and shotren it, aswell as replace the 10mm adjustment set screw with a rounded head allan head bolt. now i have a shorter throw on my 4x4 shifter. and i dident have to go cable. whild welding the linkadge back together i melted some plastec inserts, making my linkadge fail at times.

http://s387.photobucket.com/albums/oo317/Bronzewyrm/jeep resto/?action=view&current=0528121648.mp4

the first time it moved in 6 weeks under its own power. i had to drive it home with no rear brake lines in it and no rear bumper. i was out of time, i had to be out of the shop.
i slacked on pictures on the rest of final adjustments. i had my WP rocksliders up for sale for along time, my plan was to do rocker replacements, but i ran out of time, and all i got for offers of the sliders were Lowballs. so i bolted them back up to the pinch seam, and welded the to the new stifeners.

from this point i had 2.5 weeks to break in the front gears(500miles) and change the fluids. also dial in my caster and coil bucket location, install bumpstops, shake it down, fix post shakedown, prep for nwfest. i was still feeling the crunch.

well the weekend befor Nwfest, Mopar440 and i went on an outing to tsf. he had a new XJ and i had a new setup. plus we hadent wheeled together in nearly 2 years. so we set off to hit the trails out of rodgers stageing area.

0617120843.jpg

all was going great. i was shocked how stable/predictable the suspention system was working. i was trying to get useto all the new noises under the jeep. it felt great just a little noisy. i figured it was the griz/ausi doing there thing. Flex is no problem!
tsfbzw.jpg

i got to the famous spot on FB5. nearly folded my rear driveline, the i herd a loud PING, i thaught it was the locker unloading. "i was flexes at full stearing lock" when keith says "your coil is hung up on the bumpstop. i thaught that odd beings i hadent done the front bumpstops yet...

well i sheared the uper control arm link bracket clean off the axle tube.:eyes:
we scrached out heads for a while befor devising a plan to get it up and off of the trail. much less home.
0617121116c.jpg

0617121115.jpg

we were letting it roll back and taping the brakes to roll/adjust the caster as close as we could. we broke 3 straps and still were not getting far fast. the axle was just floping back and forth on the LCA's basicly as i hit the throdle or brakes. so we hooked up keith's xj for a little friendly tug action.
0617121131.jpg

after getting off the trail, i bolted the swaybar back up. then i removed the foot from my highlift. and used it to reset my caster back where i needed it. i then took a treesaver strap. wraped it around the crossmember and then back to the panhard bar bracket. this wedged it back. then i took the 20' strap and wraped it from the coils to the bumper to hold my coils forward off of the shocks. this got my all the way home from tsf. into the driveway, where the strap holding the majority of the caster, Broke.

glad i did a shakedown run. Thanks agin keith:wave1: the same night i got it home i welded the mount back to the tube and away i went agin. i used the big welder the second time.

NWFest Prep Begins! i really dident belive i was going to make it...

No problemo, my friend!

Well i dident get to everything i wanted to befor NWFest, never the less we made it to the event. got there late wed night, missed the run thursday just camped. then to the trails i went.
e
DSC_0022.jpg

DSC_0026.jpg

it did wha it was supost do. having broke it the weekend befor, and towing the trail up so far away from home i was very timid. i didend really wheel her hard.
DSC_0371.jpg

(photos stolen from brenda photo)

we made it back to town. with the gears and towing the trailer in 3rd. i was dreaming of a tow rig.
BPB dident quite get quadtrails up for nwfest but wanted to take it out the weekend following nwfest. i was hesitent at first, but after the jeep did so well, i throo my name in the hat.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1086556

we ran the usual trails. i was much more confadent in her this trip. it was great all day. i ran waterfall for the 1st time. it turns out all the axle movement weeknd my tre's. one trip up waterfall is all it took to blow one out.

IMG_0118.jpg

DSC_0019.jpg

just read the hole build its kinda funny for the longest time I didnt think this jeep went wheelin until I spoted it finally dirty lol. looking forward to seeing it in action. and in person. good build one nice looking jeep

just read the hole build its kinda funny for the longest time I didnt think this jeep went wheelin until I spoted it finally dirty lol. looking forward to seeing it in action. and in person. good build one nice looking jeep

lol that's the 3rd time ive been told that. until you look under the jeep I know why... I forgot I had a build thred. it is in need of updates. I have failed

thanks for the look. we will be wheeling soon

Bronze.

O.........K...........,lets see here.

After the last trip posted in this thread, I took the family out for a weekend of wheeling, we were not able to meet up with our party for the weekend and were flying solo. trucking around TSF looking for a group to hang out with for the day. we found fb5. it was a powdery dry weekend and the jeep had been doing good. at the rock of doom tess got out to take pictures. as I slowly began to crawl the face, we herd ping/pop. I sopped as Tessa says "don't move, bolts just went flying" well kind of... the u-bolt stuff had held, but the welded on perches I got with the axle from cali, well caused some problems. I sheared both perches clean off the axle tube, and the whol axle was "full float" on the leaf springs. the pinion climbed and I lost the rear driveline. at the same time I blew a front pass side u-joint.

after much ado, 2 Members were contacted for assistance, and I began to "try" to pach it up enough o get it off the trail. in the end, this is what I ended up getting off the trail with in 1 wheel drive.

S7300117_zps71a174a3.jpg

S7300124_zpsc808fc72.jpg

S7300127_zps5c41db0e.jpg

S7300122_zps4392b7a6.jpg

well it was time for some more jeep work. Now I needed new shocks for the back, new brake lines, and a mess of other random things to fix. combined with the parts I still needed to install, this gave me time to do the things I needed to get it on the trail for good.

I ordered a new axle side bracket form y 3rd link. it had been making noise, and I feared snapping it at the adjustment point. knowing 1st hand what it does when/if this lets go. I HAD to upgrade it. pulled the axle to reweld the perches, install new brake lines, shocks, shackle relocation brackets, and fix the front end stuff again.

S7300130_zps1e483181.jpg

At Nwfest I knew that I was getting about 11MPG's towing the trailer. there was a few things I wanted to start to do to fix that. CAT back system was on the list, for getting checked out as it was not a year old at this point.

something "fell" out when I took the pipes apart :speepin:
S7300138_zps57f07461.jpg

Got these on. Best thing ever!
S7300137_zps425025f2.jpg

here is the new front axle side 3rd link bracket. pure beef, and I don't have a worry in the world about things under there.
S7300177.jpg

Back