• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

T&T frame stiffeners.

JEONLYEP said:
It sure was nice to have something that went on right the first time without a lot of cutting, bending and test fitting.

DAryl

Amen... I thought that I would just 'fab' some up for much less as well... But when you actually get to look at the unibody 'frame rail' you'll see why IMO the TnT setup is nice... I've been nothing but happy with mine...

cherowagon said:
you mean use the tnt kit with the detours?
I mean, no matter which direction you choose to take your rig make sure the stuff you buy will be compatable with the other stuff you plan to buy. Otherwise you may end up having to modify alot more than you plan to.
(I hope that made sense)
Aaron

so the tnt stiffeners are 3/16" for sure and everyone loves them? great mod? no questions asked? make a huge difference in the structure of the jeep? i am ready to order, but i want to know this for sure.

cherowagon said:
yeah, makes sense. that blows. anyone have an idea how to get around this? besides long arms.

Detours, like I mentioned postings ago. ;)

No, the Detours don't sleeve the frame, but they do something that just sleeving the frame doesn't do; they tie in the LCA mount to the front leaf bolt. What that does is creates a static distance from eye to eye that can't change, keeping your frame straight and stiff at all times.

If, after you've created the static distance, want to sleeve the frame, come back in with steel plate and weld it to the Detours "frame" rail to cover the unibody "frame".

Viola, done.

This may sound like a stupid question, but do the TNT stiffners have holes already drilled for the crossmember bolts and things of that nature? I would assume so, but I've never seen a picture of them upclose to know for sure.

joecool said:
This may sound like a stupid question, but do the TNT stiffners have holes already drilled for the crossmember bolts and things of that nature? I would assume so, but I've never seen a picture of them upclose to know for sure.

Yes they do, I did have to relocate the springs that help support the e brake. Each cable has two springs.

Oh, and the detours setup DOES work with RE drop brackets and the braces, just tell him that you run them at the time you order. He will modify the kit to accomodate. gcurtis is running it like that now.

-C

JEONLYEP said:
TNT's are just a matter of a slight redrilling of the holes in the RE braces up or down (depending on how you're looking at it) 3/16th of an inch to make up for the difference that the stiffener adds to the "frame"

DAryl
Yup, just used TNT stiffener, drop brackets, and braces, some drilling and pounding and welding, no problems

What would you say is a fair price to get charged from a shop if they are going to weld these in for you? I just bought a pair and im going to call around but some places say $400 and other places say $100 what gives. How many hours of labor would you say it is?

Do you know anyone who can weld? That would be the best way to go. If you have to pay someone to do this I'd expect about two hours of labor, if you do the prep. Around here that's about 50.00 an hour. I'm sure your labor rates are higher.

You can should be able to save a bunch of money if you do the prep work yourself, ie clean the frame of undercoat, dirt paint, or whatever.

Also, check around with a bunch of shops. You are going to find a lot of them simply don't want to mess with it because they have a full load already. They will do it but will quote you really high.

Back