• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Started on My LS1/5.7 swap, into My 01 XJ

Cold outside but I did a test fit of the Holly Accessory Brackets. They look like factory stuff. Holley did ship the kit with a couple of bolts that appeared to have been manufactured with a pretty pronounced bend in them, but I got a couple of replacements at the local Ace Hardware. Now to start back on the dreaded wiring again.

Last edited:
Yes, the 2 holes You see on the bottom of the bracket, right by the water pump pulley, and crank pulley, are the idler pulley mounts. They let You adjust the location of the pulley for belt length. There is an idler, and a tensioner that goes on the AC bracket also, I just have the brackets mocked up temporarily, as they will come back off before I hook the engine up to the hoist for install.
The alternator is well below the top of the intake, and the LS1 corvette style PS pump is what is required for the install. It will have a divorced reservoir that mounts on a separate bracket..

Last edited:
Today, I took a break from the wiring, and worked inside the XJ. Removed the front seats, console, and the shifter assembly. Then I rolled back the carpet, and cut the heads off the bolts that hold the bracket for the Tcase shifter linkage. I'll be using the Novak shifter cable ( http://www.novak-adapt.com/catalog/shifters/sk2xc.htm ), & it replaces all that. I pulled the tranny shift cable out of the firewall, and placed the bulkhead grommet back in it's hole. Then I took a break for a while. Next, I unsnapped the gauge panel, and took out the headlight knob. I plan to use Autometer gauges, so I'll be making an aluminum panel to mount them in. It will be similar to the way John D did His, http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1027402 . Now, It's time to knock off for the day. I put in about 4 hours, and that's plenty.

Back to some wiring for the day. I have most of my diagrams & pinouts printed up, so I can refer to them while I'm working. Since I plan to hook up My HVAC system, I'm going to use the Jeep PCM to run that, & the cruise control. That's kind of a pain in the ass, but if the Jeep's cruise won't retrofit to the LS1, then I'll just run an aftermarket unit.

My wire labels are kind of willy nilly, but I'm dong a decent job of keeping everything straight.

My HVAC runs without the Jeep PCM. I can't remember for sure but I think it's run off the BCM.
The diagrams I have all show the request for the AC clutch, and AC low pressure switch all routed thru the PCM on My 01. I have the wires all located, I just have to organize them into orderly bundles, to run them inside. I'm moving both PCMs inside the passenger compartment.

Gray PCM connector
Pin #1 C13 18DB/OR A/C COMPRESSOR CLUTCH RELAY CONTROL
Pin #22 C22 18DB/WT A/C SWITCH SENSE
Pin #23 C90 18LG A/C SELECT INPUT

Wait...Now I see something. It's probably possible to do the AC clutch relay request, directly from the AC select switch on the dash. Then just have the low pressure switch interrupt that circuit. I need to do some thinking about that. Then, as far as the cruise control goes, I could just use a much smaller, and simpler aftermarket unit, like a Rostra, or something.

You got Me thinking, John.

I'm hoping the stock cruise will somehow work
If I find a cable throttle engine . So far all I'm finding are fly by wire engines .
Yes, I'm pretty sure the stock cruise will work on a cable throttle system, But You have to use the Jeep PCM as a mule to operate it, using the Jeep vehicle speed sensor. A lot of extra wiring, that I'm now thinking of eliminating.

Yes, I'm pretty sure the stock cruise will work on a cable throttle system, But You have to use the Jeep PCM as a mule to operate it, using the Jeep vehicle speed sensor. A lot of extra wiring, that I'm now thinking of eliminating.

Not sure on the 4l60 but with my 4l80 it has a speed sensor in the trans. I simply tied the GM PCM VSS output in to my Jeep PCM VSS input. I was lucky, my speedo is 1 mph off at 60, but you can have that re-calibrated with a tune. As for the throttle by wire you will have to use an aftermarket Cruse or change to a cable TB. I will have my cable TB up for sale or trade as soon as my L92 heads get here.

Not sure on the 4l60 but with my 4l80 it has a speed sensor in the trans. I simply tied the GM PCM VSS output in to my Jeep PCM VSS input. I was lucky, my speedo is 1 mph off at 60, but you can have that re-calibrated with a tune. As for the throttle by wire you will have to use an aftermarket Cruse or change to a cable TB. I will have my cable TB up for sale or trade as soon as my L92 heads get here.
The 4L60e has the VSS in the tail shaft housing, which is removed for the 4WD conversion. The Advance Adapters Tcase adapter has the VSS in the adapter ring though. So this will allow for using that VSS to control PCM functions, and shift gears at the right time, when in 4low. However, the speedometer would be off in 4low, if using the VSS in frt of the Tcase, so I'll be using the Jeep's oem VSS for a speedometer output. Auto Meter said it will work just fine. Long way to go, before I get to that point though.

As for the throttle by wire you will have to use an aftermarket Cruse or change to a cable TB. I will have my cable TB up for sale or trade as soon as my L92 heads get here.

my understanding from a lot of reading is that drive by wire cruise control is much easier to set up. All you need is the correct speed signal to the PCM and a couple wires that you should be able to easily find from your Jeep cruise control wiring (cruise control on/off, cruise control set, and brake lamp)

http://www.lt1swap.com/dbw.htm

I'd be surprised if the Factory Jeep PCM will drive the factory vacuum cruise module after all the engine wiring/sensors removed.

GM Gen III PCMs are straight forward to integrate cruise with drive-by-wire controls. They just need the cruise signals and clutch/brake switches. I believe that Gen IV and later will require BCM and be more difficult to integrate.

The factory Jeep cruise control switches on the steering wheel is just a single wire to the PCM which uses a resistance ladder to signal which button is being pressed. So, gotta separate seperate the signal into separate circuits to feed into the GM PCM.

I made a couple quick You Tube videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twuXNTN9xzo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrUkMRB3ems

I dont know if the harness from my 96 is different from the 01 control, but the control buttons are certainly different. On the 96 the PCM only seems to receive a cruise power input and signal input which would suggest maybe its the same. I can tell you for sure that the Jeep PCM will not let you use cruise if the NSS is disconnected, so unless you feed it a fake signal for NSS and probably other sensors the Jeep PCM wont help you. Im not completely sure I buy the pinout for the 96 though unless there is another control module in between. The steering wheel definitely has three distinct buttons for on/off, accel/resume, and set/coast unlike the 01 you show which only looks like two distinct buttons

I dont know if the harness from my 96 is different from the 01 control, but the control buttons are certainly different. On the 96 the PCM only seems to receive a cruise power input and signal input which would suggest maybe its the same. I can tell you for sure that the Jeep PCM will not let you use cruise if the NSS is disconnected, so unless you feed it a fake signal for NSS and probably other sensors the Jeep PCM wont help you

I haven't looked at the 96 schematics but that's probably a ground into the switch, not power. The switch then grounds the signal wire into the PCM and varies the resistance to signal which button is being pressed.

Hth.

I haven't looked at the 96 schematics but that's probably a ground into the switch, not power. The switch then grounds the signal wire into the PCM and varies the resistance to signal which button is being pressed.

Hth.

the pinout says "cruise control power supply". Thats all I have to go by. The signal is a different pin.

The cruise control info is great info. Just more reason to use a Rostra, or get one of the Audiovox CC100 units that's still left out there. They discontinued that model, but it's still available the last time I checked.

Still too cold for Me to work on the XJ, today. I did however, take a picture of some of the parts that have been trickling in over time.

Here is My new Sanden 508 AC pump, to go on the Holley accessory brackets. The TCI tranny rebuild kit, with a shift kit included. Some incandescent dash indicator lights, for turn signals, MIL, Oil pressure, etc. A Novak shift cable kit, for the NVG or NP 231, and a B&M Quicksilver shifter for the 4L60e tranny. Oh, and the little blue thing is a battery cable terminal crimper. I needed one of those.

Last edited:
Going over some wiring diagrams, and have determined that the AC system will operate without the PCM. You just have to use ouput power from the AC request switch to send power to the AC clutch relay, while going thru the low & high pressure switches. Power from the high pressure switch will also be sent to either a fan relay, or to an input for a fan controller, which is what I;ll be using.

Thanks to John D for his insight that got Me to thinking, otherwise I's still be messing with the Jeep PCM, and that was slowing Me down.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/member.php?u=1250

you could alternatively just rewire your A/C request signal to the LS1 PCM and run the A/C controls off the LS1 PCM couldnt you? Im opting to keep the Jeep PCM so I can keep all my stock gauges and what not but the LS1 PCM is capable of handling all of those functions for the most part anyway if it werent for the CCD bus. Since you sound like you are going to replace the gauges it maybe makes sense for you to dump the Jeep PCM. If you werent it seems like it would make sense to keep the A/C on the Jeep PCM.

Back