• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Started on My LS1/5.7 swap, into My 01 XJ

jamiemac

NAXJA Forum User
So, today I got over the first big hurdle on My LS1 swap into My XJ. Old 4.0 is out, and by tomorrow, will be on it's way to a new home. My project started out as a Jeep purchased in 07, as a way to travel back & forth to the desert in Utah, from Indiana. So far, the biggest issue I've had isn't the rocks, or trails of Utah, but pulling the 1200 lb popup camper over the Rockies. That, is where 4.0 shows it's weakness. Man, was that thing gutless.

Now that it's out, I can start the cleanup, and prep of the LS1 to go in. I'm pretty severely respiratory impaired, so I take a lot of breaks, & time off to rest, so this will be a months long project for Me,

Here are some pics of My super disorganized process, so far.

My XJ has looked like this for years. Staying with 31" tires. She does a great job, other than the mountains.

Here is the rear storage area.

At camp in Cathedral Valley, Utah, after I popped a tire on the trail. My spare wheel is off My ZJ. LOL

Out with the old & busted.

These Brown Dogs, no longer needed.

That's all for today. My work area is under a carport, and a good spot, but I don't get out in bad weather. So the going will be slow. I'll update as much as I can. I'm pretty disorganized, so I hope that doesn't bother anyone too much. LOL

Last edited:
Congratulations! Glad to see your getting started. The best advice I can give you is take your time, tons of research, then more research, keep an open mind (just because everyone else did it one way doesn't mean it's best in your swap), have FUN (this is a commitment, this will quickly get to the overwhelming state and you can start to loose it if you don't make it fun), focus on one step at a time, have a white board or something to have a to do/finish list (that way you can cross things out and have a since of accomplishment), and one last thing... more research.

When you get to the wiring lt1swap.com is priceless! He also did my tune for $75 and I have had 0 issues with it.

Good luck! We are here if you need us!

Thanks Jer! I'm too F-ed up to do anything fast, so taking it slow is the only way to go for Me. I do have a logbook, with a to do list on it. I'm so damn bad at that though, I should probably tear the first pages out, and start over with the competed/incomplete list. Tomorrow will be spent cleaning up the XJ as much as I can. She's pretty grungy under the hood. I'm hoping that won't take all weekend, but it probably will. That's pretty hard work. My research never ends, and in fact, some of the good recent info I discovered was about the 2002 Corvette fuel filter/regulator from Your build thread. That will really simplify the fuel system. The return line can now be much shorter/cheaper, since it doesn't have to go all the way to the engine, & just return from the filter. Yes!

I'll be using a Sanden AC compressor with either, Holley, or Kwik performance accessory brackets. Depends on which I can get cheaper, when I'm ready to order them. My Novak radiator is due to arrive on 11 March. My All My tranny rebuild stuff, & TC adapter parts are here. My PCM has already been reprogrammed by the fine fella over at LT1.com. Things are looking good so far.

I did a little today. Most important, is I sold the old 4.0 to a local guy, and got it out of My work area. Yes! Pushed the XJ out into the sunlight & cleaned on the engine bay. Gave it a pretty good scrubbing. I'm pretty happy about how easy it cleaned up. I'll report more on My next task, which is to start stripping the unneeded wires from the Jeep wire harness.

Look at vintage air for the A/C bracket . They make 2 bracket kits the cheaper kit ( under 100 bucks ) works well .
2000 camaro bracket kit . I can't post a pic of the one I'm working on right now .
Try when I get home .

Haven't got much accomplished the past few days. Just farting around with the XJ wiring harness some. The weather has turned to crap, & it's pretty cold, so probably won't do much till I have a nice day. I am planning to hit the local Pull-A-Part to get a 2002 Camaro/Trans Am Relay box, or possibly one from a truck, and some misc Jeep parts, including some stuff for My recently acquired ZJ.

I'm just looking at alternatives for the 2 speed fan setup that the computer runs. The camaro box, already has all the relays and everything in place. Should be pretty easy to wire up. I like the way the 3rd relay either connects the fans in series or parallel for 6 or 12 volts, depending on what the computer wants.

I'm always open to a better way though. Any advice on an alternative method?

Nothing accomplished today but parts research. Too cold to work outside. I think I've decided to run a B&M Quicksilver shifter for the 4L60e tranny, though. I like the looks of it and the measurements look as if it will fill up the hole in the console. My Novak radiator arrived a day or so ago. That thing is well made. Weighs 30 pounds.

I'm just looking at alternatives for the 2 speed fan setup that the computer runs. The camaro box, already has all the relays and everything in place. Should be pretty easy to wire up. I like the way the 3rd relay either connects the fans in series or parallel for 6 or 12 volts, depending on what the computer wants.

I'm always open to a better way though. Any advice on an alternative method?

Why don't you just rewire the Jeep relay box? There will be spots available after you strip out the unneeded wiring from the Jeep harness.

Why don't you just rewire the Jeep relay box? There will be spots available after you strip out the unneeded wiring from the Jeep harness.
I wasn't really sure it had enough spots for the extra relays. That seems much more efficient that running 2 different relay boxes. When I get the Jeep box out where I can look it over, that's probably what I'll do. Just haven't got to that point yet.

Thats what I did and had leftover slots.

As for the fan, you can program the GM ECU to have 2 fan outputs. Look at lt1swap.com for the wiring info.

Tried to work on the wiring harness today, but the crazy wind promptly blew away the printout I had of My wring harness. I guess, I'll try tomorrow. Wind is gusting at 30 MPH out there. LOL

Nothing picture worthy to report today. Worked on getting the underhood wiring unwrapped, and loose form the tie downs. It's a slow process, because I have to take a lot of breaks. Even though it's hard work, and time consuming, I'm having fun.

On a side note, the local Office Depot is great for printing really big versions of the wiring diagrams in My PDF service manual, and the ones on LT1swap.com. Really helps with these old eyes. I called them, and they gave Me an email address to send documents to, and they get 11X14 prints made right up. Cost Me like 4 bucks.

Since the weather turned to crap, & there isn't much I can do to the Jeep, I'm doing parts research. One of the things I'm looking at is the aftermarket gauges. I like These offerings by Classic Instruments budget line called VeeThree. Great prices, and they are sized to fit in the dash.
http://www.egauges.com/3-3-8-Speedo-2-1-16-Gauges-p/pbge00src.htm
http://www.egauges.com/7K-RPM-Tach-3-3-8-p/pbge70src.htm

I also found the complete engine accessory brackets from Holly, at an ebay seller. Very awesome. about 300 bucks for everything.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/370701976240?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

http://www.ebay.com/itm/370702505144?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Back