• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Snorkel

Is a snorkel worth the money?

• Yes

Votes: 88 47.3%
  • No

Votes: 75 40.3%
  • ???

Votes: 23 12.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
spaulman said:
Have you had any problem with ice accumulating in this area in the winter? I normally clean all of the snow off of the XJ but there is the occasional time where it freezes a bit before I clean if off. Also, what keeps rain from getting sucked into the intake hose? It seems like a cheap and trail safe alternative to a snorkle.

Living in the mountains, this would not work. We, western Colorado, recieved over 5 feet of snow this last week. The intake would've been full of snow and ice. Not good for your engine. :(

Even trying to keep the Peej clean of snow, the ice build-up on the grills was horrendous. Took me 20 minutes to chip away all the ice so I could get my wipers to work.

Just my 2 cents.

spaulman said:
Have you had any problem with ice accumulating in this area in the winter? I normally clean all of the snow off of the XJ but there is the occasional time where it freezes a bit before I clean if off. Also, what keeps rain from getting sucked into the intake hose? It seems like a cheap and trail safe alternative to a snorkle.
I haven't had any problems yet, I like to wipe the snow off the hood, and cowl before I drive away anyway. It keeps it from blowing back on the windshild, and making it hard to see. Even though if you got enough snow on your cowl, and hood to restrict air flow you wouldn't be going anywhere anyway. As far as rain getting in there. If you construct there will be enough space to hold an inch or so of water on the bottom of the air box, and what little does get in there from rain seems to evaperate out. I did my cowl induction modd mostly to get cooler air the the motor while on the road, and to greatly reduce the tendency of the water splaching into the factory hole. I left the holes on the bottom of the box open so water could drain out, but that is your choice if you decide to do one.

HoodRichXJ said:
"I've done extensive research on the matter....dare to prove me wrong."

Thats pretty funny. "research" i'm sure that was a waste of time.

Yep! It really was a waste of time....considering the fact I ALREADY KNEW snorkels were the ultimate poseur mod.

Beezil said:
It is fair to say that MOST owners of snorkeled XJ's are total poseurs. They are also AOL subscribers, Walmart Shoppers, closet Trekkies, and never get laid.

dare to prove me wrong.
I'm a wannabe snorkel owner, and I will say yes, it is largely because I like the look of em (not enough however to blow money on one before taking care of the stuff I'll actually use). Just wanted to say I hate AOL, do shop Wal-Mart, think Star Trek is dumb, and am getting laid everyday, however I'm married now and before getting married I wasn't getting laid...partly due to lack of effort, partly due to having no game when I did try...:D

It bugs me every time I hear someone saying it is a poser mod. With 6" of lift and 33's, I doubt that I'll come across water deep enough, about 3.5 feet, to hydrolock my engine. BUT, you never know how deep it's going to be, and sh*t happens. The snorkel is a good buy, I'm going to do one this summer, and, in addition to being good insurance, it looks bad ass.

rock rash said:
To those who say they have used it, im with beezil, show a pic of it being used, other than mall crawlin.

ok, this is the reason I made a snorkel, I sucked mud and water after I sank like a rock into this mud hole... I did check the depth, and thought I would be ok, didnt plan on the soft bottom though... the front air inlet for the air box, can be in a bad spot...

dec_12_04_050.jpg

and my rig is UGLY.. so no mall crawlin here...

I had a Safari Snorkel on mine for quite a while and YES it did save my ass when I got caught in a flash flood were famous for here in AZ, I had water up to the windows, completely covering the hood. I must admit though that I only paid $25 for it. Saw a thashed XJ with one on it on a car carrier going to an auction and paid the driver to let me take it off! :laugh3:

Right now its off while I finish fender mods and I'm going to modify it so it doesnt stick out so far. I liked to sence of security it gave me out on trail and the ram air effect really did help with gas milage on the highway.

^ That picture above is exactly why we need it here in FL. When you first dip into the water, the front of the jeep is way lower in the water than what it is when you get on level ground. It's because of situations like these I've seen 3 people throw a rod this year. Call it poseur mod if you want...then come down here to FL and we can go wheeling in the Yuccapen, lehigh acres, Richloam or Ocala forest and I guarantee you wish you had one. We live in a swamp. It sucks. I'd take hills and rocks over swamp and deep water any day.

Do you notice any power? That's another reason I've been looking at them.

BlackSport96 said:
Do you notice any power? That's another reason I've been looking at them.

your adding like 5 feet of restrictive tube to the intake.... just because it faces forward does not mean it will act as a "scoop". I would not expect any power gain out of it..

kmagnuss_2000 said:
^ That picture above is exactly why we need it here in FL. When you first dip into the water, the front of the jeep is way lower in the water than what it is when you get on level ground. It's because of situations like these I've seen 3 people throw a rod this year. Call it poseur mod if you want...then come down here to FL and we can go wheeling in the Yuccapen, lehigh acres, Richloam or Ocala forest and I guarantee you wish you had one. We live in a swamp. It sucks. I'd take hills and rocks over swamp and deep water any day.

intake over the valve cover.

done.

Beezil, to you, i am a poser, and, you know what? I really don't give a sh!t. I also live in FL and use the snorkle in holes i do'nt know how deep it is, and, I also have the money to blow on a snorkle instead of just relocating the inlet. I like the look, and, it's saved my butt afew times. Call me a poser. i don't care. I'm just sick of the "hardcore" Jeepers here that look down on everyone that doesn't fab everything themselves. I don't have the experience to go fabbing all my parts up. I bought my bumper from ARB, and my rear from 4X4Fabrications. And, i've got FarmerMatt's taillights. All of which make my truck different from every rig i've seen in FL so far. i know there is a plethera of rigs that look like mine throughout the US, but, i like my setup and it works for me and i don't care what ya'll think.

Poser steps down

Tylor

92jeeper said:
Beezil, to you, i am a poser, and, you know what? I really don't give a sh!t. I also live in FL and use the snorkle in holes i do'nt know how deep it is, and, I also have the money to blow on a snorkle instead of just relocating the inlet. I like the look, and, it's saved my butt afew times. Call me a poser. i don't care. I'm just sick of the "hardcore" Jeepers here that look down on everyone that doesn't fab everything themselves. I don't have the experience to go fabbing all my parts up. I bought my bumper from ARB, and my rear from 4X4Fabrications. And, i've got FarmerMatt's taillights. All of which make my truck different from every rig i've seen in FL so far. i know there is a plethera of rigs that look like mine throughout the US, but, i like my setup and it works for me and i don't care what ya'll think.

Poser steps down

Tylor

oh, but you *do* care.....yes, it is true.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back