• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Snorkel

Is a snorkel worth the money?

• Yes

Votes: 88 47.3%
  • No

Votes: 75 40.3%
  • ???

Votes: 23 12.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
My votes for no, It's not worth the money. Thats only because I bought one, used it a few times and realized I dont need my intake that high or catching limbs. There are other ways, some described here on how keep water out of your intake.

I need a snorkle or at least to move the air inlet to a better location. I sunk my XJ once..thankfully I got the engine off before it went down...oh BTW..a XJ will float for a short lenght of time....lol...the moral of the story is...there ain't nuff beer to get you thru where a truck with militaries and 49 michelins can't go.

spaulman said:
Have you had any problem with ice accumulating in this area in the winter? I normally clean all of the snow off of the XJ but there is the occasional time where it freezes a bit before I clean if off. Also, what keeps rain from getting sucked into the intake hose? It seems like a cheap and trail safe alternative to a snorkle.
It will suck through the drain holes for the cowl if iced over. Water does not run in as you make sure the hose is above the floor of the cowl just like the intake for your vents. They dont leak water either unless you are crossing a river with water up to the windscreen as I have done!

sinking.JPG

Works this deep with out one. you can see the rpples from the exhaust in the back.

yeop if i woulda had a snorkle, i wouldnt have stalled out at the end of the mud pit at the summit truck show this past summer.
DSC01068.jpg

then boom i hit a rutt dug from a huge chevy with like 42's and this happens
DSC01071.jpg

stalled completely and then water proceded to run into my airbox and distributer.

XJawgi said:
yeop if i woulda had a snorkle, i wouldnt have stalled out at the end of the mud pit at the summit truck show this past summer.
DSC01068.jpg

then boom i hit a rutt dug from a huge chevy with like 42's and this happens
DSC01071.jpg

stalled completely and then water proceded to run into my airbox and distributer.
You must have bad luck - I think I've driven Hondas through deeper water.

j/k

r@m

no its weird, if i come down real hard on my front end, my jeep will just stall. it happened to me and my old man when he was driving on some trails, and then it happened when i hit that rutt. We couldnt figure it out.

old_man said:
I got my snorkle for several reasons. First and foremost is that I drive on a lot of real dusty roads. Before the snorkle, on an outing I would have to clean the air filter every day, It got the intake up and away from the heavy dust.

As it turns out I was running it on a 2.5L at the time. It actually added 4mph top speed on the freeway due apparently from the ram air effect.

I have done several water crossings that would have seriously bothered me otherwise. A snorkle by itself does little by itself to keep an engine running in water, there are tons of other things that need to be done as well, but It helps. Anyway, it looks cool.

PS for water crossings, you might want to check your door seals. Generally they suck bigtime.

snorkel in colorado.

makes perfect sense.

colorado indeed......you weren't there on the 99 run when Bones had a muddy water stain halfway up his hood.....I nearly got taken out by the bow wake......

$270+ for a plastic tube? no, i dont think its worth it. I made one for $20... worth it, yes.
I sucked water in a mud hole, stalled the engine, had to get pulled out.. this was the first time I had it out, so building a snorkel was a no brainer. I dont care about performance or anything on-road, just dont want it to stall or hydrolock....

I say yes as well. I bought it as an added security. And, i'm glad I did. I went through a hole, also being in FL, that my buddy said isn't too deep. But, ended up with water higher than the pic with the white XJ. Headlights were underwater. But, the motor kept runnin. My electrical inside the Jeep was shot. Yes, i have the distributer sealed. Had to have all kindsa stuff redone. But, it is totally up to you to spend it or not. If you get a snorkle and plan to use it, there are other things you need to water proof before you test the snorkle

Tylor

maybe in the future i might re think this but for now i would rather put the money into something other than "the ultimate poser mod". ill spend the money on a bumper. thanks for the help.

YES they are worth the price. Like someone said the home made ones look like chit. This is my daily driver so i dont want to get something that looks like i stole it from redneck rig (not that i have anything against redneck rigs lol) Id much rather spend $300 then have to pay $2000 like i am now. I went through a SMALL water hole and hydrolocked and threw a rod, now my jeep has been sitting outside for over a week. Im trying to save up enough to get a new motor with a warranty and have it installed soon. I was told to try salvage yards, but im not spending $600 and have it die on me later, so im just gonna get a new one with long warranty. You dont have to be going through deep water to get it in the air intake, i bet the water i was in wasnt 6"deep. But i was flyuing through it with skinny to the floor and it sucked it up there. So now instead on money for lift, wheels, tires, and lockers. Im getting a new engine. YEYYYYYYYYY. Plus it sucks having to drive my moms nissan to school, i feel like im cheating on my jeep. lol.......

I gotta wonder about you guys that are driving through "small water" and getting hydrolocked and/or breaking engines.

You do know the correct way to do a water crossing right? And no, it does not involve a full throttle assault...

<insert_shrug>

r@m

HoodRichXJ said:
Its all in how it is used, or better yet IF it is used. So i feel that its unfair to pass judgement on it by naming the "ultimate poser mod" just because some of us dont have a need for one. okay i'm stepping down now.

I've done extensive research on the matter.

I put out a challenge to all snorkle owners to prove (PICS) that they've USED thier snorkel....

There was a flood of lame pics that showed snorkel xj's standing in water just over the top of the tires.......but only TWO that showed water OVER THE HOOD.

one of them is our boy Chewy.....

It is fair to say that MOST owners of snorkeled XJ's are total poseurs. They are also AOL subscribers, Walmart Shoppers, closet Trekkies, and never get laid.

dare to prove me wrong.

The space on an XJ is limited, but you might make something like this work...
111_1145.JPG

Personally... I prefer a huge frickin hood scoop that can suck up chihuahuas and cats at random

ed%20front%20low.JPG

:D

Gil BullyKatz said:

Having that thing there would really piss me off after a while. The visability on the xj isn't that great to begin with. I say mount the spare on the hood like Okie Terry, then the front end floats and you don't have to worry about a snorkel.

is.php

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back