• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Snorkel

Is a snorkel worth the money?

• Yes

Votes: 88 47.3%
  • No

Votes: 75 40.3%
  • ???

Votes: 23 12.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought a 2nd hand Safari Snorkel ($105AUD about $60USD), not so much for water but dust. When I went 'bush' and was doing 600miles a day on dirt roads I was cleaning the filter twice a day and pulling a few spoon fulls of dust out of the airbox. I plan to turn the head of the snorkel around and hopefully get less dust in there, or possibly add a prefilter up top this is all for peace of mind and convenience.

I've also had water lapping at the bottom of the windscreen on some river crossings with a tarpuline over the grill and tucked under the bonnet to help keep water out of the engine bay and will feel more comfortable doing this with a snorkel.

So really it depends on the terrain you drive as to if it's poser or not. Must admit though if it wasn't so cheap I wouldn't have bought one.

Cheers
Steve

Holy Toledo!!!

I can't believe this thread has gone on for 10 bloody pages!

I've had a Safari Snorkel on my Cherokee for some years now. It's saved my engine once or twice and so has the K&N before the snorkle went on. Living in Northern Arizona, it was 50 yards to the forest from the front door of my house & I put nearly as many dirt miles on my XJ as I did on the pavement. With the snorkle I didn't have to clean the filter as often as I did without it. Were ther problems? Of COURSE there was! The kit came with a flexible hose that went over the tire and down and back up to the bottom of the air box. With 5 inches of lift and 32 inch tires, it rubbed through that hose off road. With 35s it simply ripped that hose out. I had to replacec that hose with a better system. That's cool cuz I fabricated it.

I've got big 35 inch tires, Currie built HP Ford 9 rear axle, armor plated 35 gallon gas tank, roof rack, removable doors, removable side & rear glass, replaced the rocker panels with steel tubing and a Flowmaster 2 chamber muffler. More folks ask me about the snorkle than anything else. Kids have there parents pull up along side so they can wave, point to the snorkle and give me a grin and a thumbs up. Poser? Hey, ya gotta take Beezil with a grain or better yet a POUND of salt. But who cares? The kids love it. Worth it? Only you can decide that. Will it go on my next Jeep? Hmmm..... kids love it

Wil Badger said:
P1010002.sized.jpg
That's how the instructions show it. But my tires made short work of that hose. I made mine better. Oh, did I mention kids love the Snorkle?

ok, just to be a pain and keep this running,
Here are a couple pics of my snorkel setup. cost about $20 and is 2" pvc.
having issues with posting pics... check out my homepage...

Last edited:
Wil Badger said:
thats just it,it was a sloppy install .just not done right and the hose came off . i know that is how you are supposed to run it .he just did a poor install of it not as clean as i would have tried to make it.just seems close to the wheel. i know the hole that did him in.like i said i ran it atleast once a week if not more.he is only on 31's maybe 32's .the time he went was right after that area of New Jersey had a flood .the pic from above is on a normal day during the time he went and did this it was a little deeper.the amount of water ripped it right out of the airbox.if he took his time and did it slowly i'm sure he would have been fine.

:wave:

its my rig. i wasnt going very fast at all when the hose poped off. the best idea we have is a stick/clump of mud/jimmie hoffa came up with the tire and caught the lip of the flex hose. not the best install in the world, but it had never done me wrong untill that point. the rig is rebuild now. theres 1,2,3 hose clamps there and i plan on redoing the way it runs with a canister filter when time allows.
as for the other drivil being posted. drunk drive into a lake and drown.

A snorkel also helps with dust. Soppousedly (from what I've read) the majority of dust hovers no more than 3 ft. off of the ground. The snorkel intake on the roof line sucks air from a much cleaner source. I believe the HAVAC intake snorkel would also take care of this problem. I'm in the process of doing the HAVAC intake snorkel mod.

Beezil said:
I've done extensive research on the matter.

I put out a challenge to all snorkle owners to prove (PICS) that they've USED thier snorkel....

There was a flood of lame pics that showed snorkel xj's standing in water just over the top of the tires.......but only TWO that showed water OVER THE HOOD.

one of them is our boy Chewy.....

It is fair to say that MOST owners of snorkeled XJ's are total poseurs. They are also AOL subscribers, Walmart Shoppers, closet Trekkies, and never get laid.

dare to prove me wrong.

Maybe it because this post has gone on and on hasta and on and on hasta hasta and on and on and on hasta hasta hasta, but I still haven't seen a picture of a rig with a snorkel.

I don't go wheelin' with out my friends, so I would guess if I had a snorkel and went into deep water there would be a picture of it. I guess poseurs can't get friends to go wheeling or their friends spent all their money on poseur mods too. Let me break out my J.C. Whitney catalog.
:hang:
Beezil is my HERO for taking a stand and not backing down.

I put a rocket tube on my xj and the air filter is up against the hood.I only been through mud/water up to the door handles.

Really can't go much deeper.

Don't pay big bucks,make your own. But if your in water/mud over your hood,you're in trouble..imho...

So what you're saying is that If someone has a snorkel and doesn't post pictures of it in the water, they're a poser? When I installed my snorkel, I had no intentions of entering water above my rockers. I didn't consider myself a poser, I had other intentions for the use of the snorkel. It is not only designed for water crossings, yes it's a main attribute, but it's not it's only function. It also acts VERY well as an amazing cold air intake. Since the Jeeps engine bays run so damn hot and the intake manifold all but touches the exhaust manifold, feeding the intake manifold with nice cool air from outside the engine compartment make a difference in performance, fuel mileage... So hell, I'd put a snorkel on a ricer if I wanted to... Hell, they already do! The Toyota MR2's had an intake that ran outside the car from the rear mounted engine, up the rear window and had an inlet mounted on the roof. The point is... It's functionality outweigh anything you retards have to say negatively about people who have installed, or want to install a snorkel... or for that matter ANY mod. on THEIR jeep. Suck it upp, pull your face out of your friends @$$ and give pointers to help them correctly do whatever they're trying to do instead of putting them down.

Oh Yeah... by the way, here's a video of MY water crossing... flametard...
http://ia108034.us.archive.org/2/items/ChadBleakney200JeepCherokeeXJWaterCrossingSnorkel2Lift/Water_Crossing.MOV

Martinida said:
Maybe it because this post has gone on and on hasta and on and on hasta hasta and on and on and on hasta hasta hasta, but I still haven't seen a picture of a rig with a snorkel.

I don't go wheelin' with out my friends, so I would guess if I had a snorkel and went into deep water there would be a picture of it. I guess poseurs can't get friends to go wheeling or their friends spent all their money on poseur mods too. Let me break out my J.C. Whitney catalog.
:hang:
Beezil is my HERO for taking a stand and not backing down.

<deleted>

Last edited:
Scott, Craig and I are in the process of building the same setup for our jeeps

I did the Madxj snorkel and was wondering if anyone knows a way to be able to unblock and block the stock intake when offroad or whenever needed.
Someone had pvc screw on or something but I cant find it again.

This thread is like herpes.

ChuckD said:
I like snorkles! :wave:

You sure your not talking about parascopes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back