• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Smog check moron

You guys need to stop thinking about california, get cali off your tongue. I assure you nobody here gives two ****s about your state....

trust me, we'd love to, but your state keeps doing dumb things that affect the rest of us.

Maryland builds multi-millions dollar, laboratory grade test stations with trained techs, that hook up calibrated equipment and sensors to put the vehicle through a rolling dyno test, including wind machine to simulate air flow through the radiator, they are building the last of these test stations so the entire state can be tested!

You pass the test, by measuring the actual pollution leaving the vehicle, on a full rolling dyno for all conditions the vehicle operates, or you fail, no BS opinion of the inspector, its just the numbers. If you have aftermarket parts, it doesn't matter as long as you pass the test. (But Maryland has laws against aftermarket parts, that they subjectively enforce depending on the area and sometimes the cop himself, no laws against direct replacement aftermarket).

Of course, now that OBDII is in all 1996 and newer cars, you just have to pull into the station, they connect the OBDII connector to a laptop that runs the test through the OBDII computer. The millions of dollars of laboratory grade test equipment sits there collecting dust, except for the 1 in 50 cars that come in that are more than 20 years old.

And if that isn't bad enough, they keep building these hi-buck stations with all the equipment? Isn't the money better spent somewhere else? The 0.01% of vehicles that are located outside the test stations that are NOT OBDII that can be tested with a laptop, really have to be tested to assure air quality?

Oh BTW, southern California because of its geography has a thermal inversion 200 days out of the year. The Native Americans more than 100 years ago called it the valley of smoke, because of the smog that occurred there naturally. Yes vehicle contribute to it, during the worst periods, but the conditions that make that smog in Southern California are NOT present in the rest of the country.

Sounds exactly like that power hungry smog guy that was mentioned before.... whats the matter? got a bad knee and couldnt be a cop?

Power hungry? Ha, you are talking out your ass as usual. XCM the keyboard warrior. Piss off, the adults are talking.

Last edited:
and the time is coming when your regulations don't make it cost effective to do business anymore.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-smith-wesson-microstamping-law-20140123-story.html

and they're not the only ones that are going to let their firearms drop off the roster.

That law will be struck down by the courts. Haven't you heard of the 2nd ammendment? It does apply occasionally to california. Maybe you should do some research before quoting one article on the subject. Then you would know that just about every gun is dropping off the roster in 2016. Big deal, we got plenty of guns and 80% lowers, we will survive just fine.

Here is a news article I found about Ohio. Is that you?
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/cri...aught-camera-defecating-car-article-1.2146616

Relax, take a breath, drink some water that came all the way from the Colorado river in Nevada to your tap.
Think of how many fish *** in that water, and how many bears ****** in it before you drank it.

Actually, the majority of Souther California's drinking water come from Northern California and the San Joaquin river delta. I piss in that water regularly. :smootch:

Maryland builds multi-millions dollar, laboratory grade test stations with trained techs, that hook up calibrated equipment and sensors to put the vehicle through a rolling dyno test, including wind machine to simulate air flow through the radiator, they are building the last of these test stations so the entire state can be tested!

You pass the test, by measuring the actual pollution leaving the vehicle, on a full rolling dyno for all conditions the vehicle operates, or you fail, no BS opinion of the inspector, its just the numbers. If you have aftermarket parts, it doesn't matter as long as you pass the test. (But Maryland has laws against aftermarket parts, that they subjectively enforce depending on the area and sometimes the cop himself, no laws against direct replacement aftermarket).

Of course, now that OBDII is in all 1996 and newer cars, you just have to pull into the station, they connect the OBDII connector to a laptop that runs the test through the OBDII computer. The millions of dollars of laboratory grade test equipment sits there collecting dust, except for the 1 in 50 cars that come in that are more than 20 years old.

Sounds a lot like the setup here, in all honesty its not that bad. I have a lexus sc300 that has failed pretty much every 2 years when I test it and there is always a valid reason. One year I was failing, turned out to be a bad O2 sensor, another year it was a small exhaust leak due to a failed gasket and this year I failed and again there was a decent exhaust leak from a bolt that had came loose. Each time I didn't notice any real issue driving or signs of issues but after failing I made the repairs and passed after that.

What I don't like is that you pay the fee for the test, you get the print out results and get a follow up test at no cost. If you fail again you have to then pay up front for another 2 tests. I think if you fail and show that you are making repairs the follow up tests should not cost or at least be at a discount. They make it cost prohibitive to try and get things fixed and re-tested. I think it used to cost $29 bucks for the test(and follow up if needed). Even if they charged half the price for additional single follow up tests I would be happier.

I watched a friend of mine try to get a retro Vespa to pass for a few hours, he was making laps around the emissions building adjusting and testing ended up costing a fortune in test fees. He failed a few times by half a point. I've failed myself before by less than a full point on something, drove to another test station and passed without touching anything. If they want to be strict down to that level I think they need to provide me with documentation on how often their machines are tested and calibrated.

There is no issue that I've seen with aftermarket parts, the Lexus had the goofy factory coffee can Cat replaced with a normal magnaflow style and they didn't care. I've seen them spend 30 minutes crawling around vehicles but I have no idea what they are checking for, I assume looking for people cheating the system. Not like certain things added to the gas won't pass these tests anyways so they are kind of a waste of time if someone wants to pass they will.

I want my vehicles to run clean and have no issue making repairs to keep them that way but they seem to fight you every step all while you have a small window to pass and register before your registration lapses and can't drive it. I feel like a criminal each time I pull into one of these places. One time I had my 87 supra and some young kid comes running over and I politely asked for a supervisor to do the test(they run it pretty hard on a dyno and I didn't want the kid grinding through my gears). He proceeded to give me attitude and was refusing, I stood politely waiting for the supervisor who eventually came and was very understanding then drove it smoother than I ever could. They also make you get back in your vehicle, pay and pull forward away from the station before handing you the results to avoid any conflict.

That law will be struck down by the courts. Haven't you heard of the 2nd ammendment? It does apply occasionally to california. Maybe you should do some research before quoting one article on the subject. Then you would know that just about every gun is dropping off the roster in 2016. Big deal, we got plenty of guns and 80% lowers, we will survive just fine.

Here is a news article I found about Ohio. Is that you?
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/cri...aught-camera-defecating-car-article-1.2146616

you sure about that?

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...-microstamping-law-is-upheld-by-federal-judge

and even if it is overturned, how long before that happens?

How many gun lawsuits has CA lost recently, yet your legislators continue to pass gun laws, an your sheriffs refuse to issue carry permits.

You have a roster of approved guns, you have assault weapon registration, you have waiting periods to purchase firearms.
Your federal legislators are always attempting gun control on a national scale.
Yes, the 2nd is surely alive and well in CA.

What about your now negative immigration? What about the fact that the IRS data shows that most of the people migrating from your state are taking their money with them, and the top recipient states are right to work and low regulation? you know, Texas, Nevada and Arizona.

whatever, I don't really care about CA, except that your super liberal federal congresspeople tend to do dumb shit that affects the rest of us.
Get them under control and then the rest of us will stop talking about your state in a derogatory fashion.

you sure about that?

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...-microstamping-law-is-upheld-by-federal-judge

and even if it is overturned, how long before that happens?

How many gun lawsuits has CA lost recently, yet your legislators continue to pass gun laws, an your sheriffs refuse to issue carry permits.

You have a roster of approved guns, you have assault weapon registration, you have waiting periods to purchase firearms.
Your federal legislators are always attempting gun control on a national scale.
Yes, the 2nd is surely alive and well in CA.

What about your now negative immigration? What about the fact that the IRS data shows that most of the people migrating from your state are taking their money with them, and the top recipient states are right to work and low regulation? you know, Texas, Nevada and Arizona.

whatever, I don't really care about CA, except that your super liberal federal congresspeople tend to do dumb shit that affects the rest of us.
Get them under control and then the rest of us will stop talking about your state in a derogatory fashion.

jesus christ on toast, you sound like zuki ron.

step away from the keyboard a few minutes.

I though this was a smog thread. No one's arguing CA's regulations are bad for business in this state...except you. Its a business decision that's been made by the legislature whether it be environmental, gun control or immigration. Democracy sucks huh.

Any way, the thing that pisses me off about smog the most, I just bought a used 2007 car from a guy in January. It was last smogged in Oct '14. There were some problems getting the title from the seller's credit union and now here it is March and I have to smog it again because the one done in Oct expires after 90 days. Only six months later in order to transfer the title. Super retarded.

Last edited:
jesus christ on toast, you sound like zuki ron.

step away from the keyboard a few minutes.

he's the one that brought up how companies like to do business in your state and that the 2nd amendment was alive and well in CA.

I merely provided evidence to the contrary.

I get it, you guys love CA. It's the only place you can go wheeling, surfing and skiing in the same day, blah blah blah.
Good for you, unfortunately I don't experience all the natural beauty, but still have to deal with your stupid politics.
I'll stop disliking CA when you remove Boxer and Feinstein from office.

Don't worry, we feel the same way.

which is the point.

Everyone here likely does, but the rest of your state does not.

You guys talk about CA from your viewpoint. The one of loving wheeling and guns and generally being conservative.
The rest of the country sees it from a much larger perspective. The one where you keep electing ultra liberal senators and representatives that then want to force CA like regulations and laws across all 50 states.

which is the point.

Everyone here likely does, but the rest of your state does not.

You guys talk about CA from your viewpoint. The one of loving wheeling and guns and generally being conservative.
The rest of the country sees it from a much larger perspective. The one where you keep electing ultra liberal senators and representatives that then want to force CA like regulations and laws across all 50 states.

Dude, take your political BS to the politics forum. Nobody cares about your point of view about california. This thread is about the absurdity of the California emission laws. Not guns, not conservative vs. liberal, not 49 state politics. Now go away.

he's the one that brought up how companies like to do business in your state and that the 2nd amendment was alive and well in CA.

I merely provided evidence to the contrary.

I get it, you guys love CA. It's the only place you can go wheeling, surfing and skiing in the same day, blah blah blah.
Good for you, unfortunately I don't experience all the natural beauty, but still have to deal with your stupid politics.
I'll stop disliking CA when you remove Boxer and Feinstein from office.

Boxer is retiring, get over it.

Now go shovel some snow, date your cousin, or play in the mud, or whatever you Ohio people do.

Back