• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Smog check moron

1989 XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys - Ok, I just have to let this all out to people who will understand. I just went to get the jeep smoked and got denied by this guy based on a bunch of horsesh!t.

So first of all jeep was made by American Motors - he had never heard of that. So right off the bat he thought I was trying to pull something over on him. I explained but he was looking at me like I was lying and trying to trick him into something. I was like 'you know like how general motors is made up of chevy & pontiac...?' Nothing.

So he spends at least 10-15min shining his flashlight all over the engine bay, door jambs (rear ones too! why? I don't know!) After that excruciating bit of time he looks all disheveled holding my paperwork and I walk over and ask if he needs something. He's like 'I don't know anything about this car! it's not right." So he starts telling me what the problems are:

1) my PCV breather has a crack in it, and needs to be ‘completely sealed! ... these other hoses could have cracks too, I can't tell’

2) he couldn’t read the one worn out underhood VIN-related firewall sticker so he could see if it was a CA model - he said I had to go to the dealer to get a new one made! what?? yeah I'm sure the dealer would totally understand and handle that properly.

3) he didn’t know where the check engine light was supposed to be, so he couldn’t tell if it had one lit up (?). He was perplexed by this stupid thermometer that is velcroed to the dash, saying that it could be hiding something like a warning light.

4) It has an aftermarket temperature gauge and he said I could have disconnected the stock one to 'fool the computer' (even though the stocker is connected and actually works)

5) I have an aftermarket intake with a CARB sticker, and he was saying that it might be fake, since people make fake ones. When I said you just put those in the smog computer system to verify, he said he could get in trouble for that if it's fake. WHAT??

Anytime I would try to talk to him about any of these concerns he wouldn't really listen or try to understand. He was convinced that there was no way to smog it, and that it never could have been smogged.

I think he was suffering from paranoia or something. He kept obsessively trying to see behind the thermometer to find out what was behind it. I was like ‘well with all that other stuff, no need to worry about that now, right?' and he'd say 'oh yeah, uh huh, ok' and then he'd keep talking and eventually turn around and try to pull it to the side etc. I finally was like 'ok I get it, no need to mess with anything anymore...'

He tried to charge me $30 to diagnose and I laughed and said ‘nah, I don’t think so, I'm going to leave’ and got in and left. I went to a place a few blocks away and passed no questions asked.

just had to share

Be nice!!!

In the Great State of Colorado, smog test stations always have "Help Wanted" signs out front. The pay must not be that great...

You had a guy that was "drunk with power", as if that's possible with smog testing.

And,the check engine light did not exist on the 87-90 XJ.

As they say in the financial industry, "your results may vary".

Good story.

My 86 doesn't have one either.

You were wrong telling him it was a AMC if it is an 89. AMC died in 87, after that Jeep was owned by Chrysler.

Bring it to another smog station, say nothing, hand over paperwork, done.

You would think smog technicians her in Cali would be better trained since the rules here are so strict. I shouldn't have to be the one to explain to them that my 1988 XJ doesn't have a check engine light. They always look at me like I'm crazy. I have 2 Renix era jeeps so its always an experience when smog time comes around.

I had one spend an hour trying to determine if the electric fan on my mustang was legal because it had no Carb number. Ended up having to call the referee, who I imagine responded with "wtf".

^^^^^this!
why even mention that. you talk too much lol.

just hand the guy your paperwork and let him do his thing.

Right, but hey I didn't bring it up. He wanted an answer.

My DMV paperwork that I handed to him does not say Jeep, it says 'AMER' under 'Make'. Point is the guy lost his mind over simple things that shouldn't concern him.

Hahaha, smog check guys are usually smarter than that. Try another shop.

The cracked PCV hose was a legit concern. Get that fixed with either a factory part, or with a piece of hose that spefically states it is an emission grade hose with printing on the side of it. Nothing else will do.

The absence of, or faded, emisson label is no reason to not test the vehicle. All smog check stations are are required by law to have an emission application manual which states what type of emission controls are supposed to be installed on a vehicle.

California or not, there is a way to input the certification status as "unkown" in the smog machine and the test will continue.

The emission label states that the Renix 87-90 4.0L XJs are "OBD exempt" therefore do not have or require a check engine light. The emission application manual will state this as well so the label isn't actually needed to determine this.

You will need an EOD number for a Renix era XJ cold air intake because of the heat stove/thermostatically controlled air cleaner portion. Smog check stations are required by law the check the EOD number against the known database and verify that the part installed, the EOD number, and the application is correct. It seems complicated but it really only takes a few minutes to check via the internet.

Get your CCV hose fixed and try it again.

I totally believe you but still wondering why this bothered you. This is normal behavior in Ca. There's a dozen smog shops on every street so just go to the one next door. Find one you like a stick with them. Only question I ever get on my 89 is "The book says no engine check light. That's sounds correct to you, sir?" I answer "correct" every time and end of discussion.

Yeah, I fixed the PCV leak because that was a legit concern, then went to a place down the street and passed without any questions. Good info Bryan C.

I was also just dumping the info for entertainment value because CA smog is such a touchy situation ... but now you asked It bothered me because the guy is a auto shop & smog technician and he had no idea how to overcome the slightest obstacle.

Turns out I like the guys at the shop that passed me, so it's a good result.

California smog shops aren't drunk with power, the state has them in fear for their business.

California smog shops aren't drunk with power, the state has them in fear for their business.

^Not that I feel sorry for them since they perform the states dirty work.

True.

Problem is that your inspections and tests are recorded in the DMV data base. If you get a smog nazi his opinions are forever on record.

Mine failed last year. Good test numbers. The guy couldn't ID the CAT (numbers were stamped on it) and he wanted the warm air return duct installed.

You were wrong telling him it was a AMC if it is an 89. AMC died in 87, after that Jeep was owned by Chrysler.

That may be the case but DMV's see pre-91 XJ's as an AMC still. Mine is even considered a station wagon by CA. AND the registrations reflect that

I lived in California for over 12 years. While I was there I owned many of XJs and MJs only my 87 and older ones. Including my current 86 MJ that I drug to Georgia from California said AMC on the title. My MJ still has a California title. XJs are considered station wagons in a lot of states. So are most other SUVs.

Back