• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Smog check moron

Well that supposed necessary evil forced me to remove my adjustable fuel regulator making my car run like shit with increased numbers at the sniffer. Big help that visual was.

Well that supposed necessary evil forced me to remove my adjustable fuel regulator making my car run like shit with increased numbers at the sniffer. Big help that visual was.

Maybe you should fix the problem that that the adjustable fuel pressure regulator was compensating for? :dunno:

I have a battery tender quick connection hooked up to my battery and leave it hanging out of the hood on 2 of my cars so I can plug them in easy(tucked away on the XJ since I drive it often). Every time that wire gets serious attention from a few people at the emission place. Its clear its just two wires going right to my battery terminals but they come flocking over with flash lights and leaning all around to see it.

Maybe you should fix the problem that that the adjustable fuel pressure regulator was compensating for? :dunno:

ummm, you mean like a modified vehicle?

if it passes the sniffer test and the evap system is functioning, what does it matter how it gets there?

CARB certification numbers are simply a money grab by the state. Forcing companies to pay exorbitant amounts of money for "certification".

Quite frankly I wish that auto manufacturers, gun manufacturers and everyone else would simply stop complying with your states bullshit, because your state causes increased costs for the rest of us.

ummm, you mean like a modified vehicle?

if it passes the sniffer test and the evap system is functioning, what does it matter how it gets there?

CARB certification numbers are simply a money grab by the state. Forcing companies to pay exorbitant amounts of money for "certification".

Quite frankly I wish that auto manufacturers, gun manufacturers and everyone else would simply stop complying with your states bullshit, because your state causes increased costs for the rest of us.

Blah blah blah......No I mean actually repair the condition that is being masked by the increased fuel pressure that the adjustable regulator is providing the engine. If it didn't come with it from the factory then it doesn't "need" to be on there.

The reason there are so many people in California is because so many people "want" to live here. Maybe travel out of the Mid-West for more then a few days and you might appreciate why we choose to live here.

The reason companies do business here is because there is money to be made here. Plain and simple economics. Don't act like the Federal Government doesn't drive prices up with their policies as well in all 50 states.

I have a battery tender quick connection hooked up to my battery and leave it hanging out of the hood on 2 of my cars so I can plug them in easy(tucked away on the XJ since I drive it often). Every time that wire gets serious attention from a few people at the emission place. Its clear its just two wires going right to my battery terminals but they come flocking over with flash lights and leaning all around to see it.

hahah yep, that's the freak out I got on my Jeep this time. those wires going to the battery are a trap to get their license!!

Blah blah blah......No I mean actually repair the condition that is being masked by the increased fuel pressure that the adjustable regulator is providing the engine. If it didn't come with it from the factory then it doesn't "need" to be on there.

The reason there are so many people in California is because so many people "want" to live here. Maybe travel out of the Mid-West for more then a few days and you might appreciate why we choose to live here.

The reason companies do business here is because there is money to be made here. Plain and simple economics. Don't act like the Federal Government doesn't drive prices up with their policies as well in all 50 states.

I think that if the point of the emissions equipment on the car and the emissions checks is to reduce emissions, the manner in which you achieve lower emissions shouldn't matter.

If I come up with a better way to make the engine more efficient, why should I be handicapped by a system installed by the manufacturer? Shouldn't the result justify the means? Especially on a vehicle that was built with 80's technology when I apply some 2015 technology to it.

It just seems odd to me that you could cut your emissions to way less than the requirement but fail because you've modified the less efficient stock system.

Although I still haven't figured out why you guys in California have so many things that cause cancer either :looney:

I think that if the point of the emissions equipment on the car and the emissions checks is to reduce emissions, the manner in which you achieve lower emissions shouldn't matter.

If I come up with a better way to make the engine more efficient, why should I be handicapped by a system installed by the manufacturer? Shouldn't the result justify the means? Especially on a vehicle that was built with 80's technology when I apply some 2015 technology to it.

It just seems odd to me that you could cut your emissions to way less than the requirement but fail because you've modified the less efficient stock system.

Although I still haven't figured out why you guys in California have so many things that cause cancer either :looney:

While I can't comment on the why these laws are still on the books, I can say that the main problem with these "upgrades to less efficient systems" is the longevity of the fix. Car manufacturers have to provide warranties and also show that the systems that the vehicle is equipped with are durable in nature.

Think of it this way, putting on a new cat will usually make a vehicle pass smog. But, if the vehicle is killing cat converters due to a poor running condition then how would you consider this vehicle fixed? Short term? Yes. Long term? Not at all.

It is the nature of the beast so to speak. You want to do business in the 5th largest economy in the world, aka California? Then you have to play by our rules. If your product is superior to a stock system, then prove it to the state and get it approved for the public at large to use without worry.

Emission testing in CA isn't going away anytime soon. There is a new test for 2000 and newer vehicle that doesn't test the tailpipe emissions, just a visual and OBDII functional test. But for the majority of XJ owners, we still need to have a tailpipe, visual, and functional test done every 2 years.

I say the same thing everytime one of these threads come up. I am in favor of the testing, I am a licensed smog tech. If you grew up in the 70's like me you will understand that there needed to be something done. Increasing population means more cars. How many cars do you walk by in a parking lot that smell like gas? Hardly any. In the 70's, every car smelled like gas, and driving on the highway or stitting in traffic would make me sick from all the exhaust fumes. While it is a pain in the ass, smog tests are here to stay and that to me is a good thing.

If you grew up in the 70's like me you will understand that there needed to be something done.

Yup.

Los Angeles had 200 plus 'smog alert' days per year in the 70's. Thirty years later, it was down to the 20's per year. Automobile emissions were only part of it, but the regulations put in place produced the results.
Yes, businesses have to work harder to comply. Travel to China if you want to see first hand what happens without regulations. It was no different here, and people tend to forget that. You want to see some shocking shit, look at the groundwater testing back in the day and all the chemicals/toxins/poisons they were finding in it. Or the lead levels found in the blood of people tested in that era. It goes on and on.
Government is a mess too, so I'm not taking sides here. It would be nice if common sense were more common, but there it is.

I'm not suggesting that the emissions reductions don't work or aren't important, I just think that if you pull up to the station and you pass the test who cares what's under the hood.

If smog is the problem and your car passes the test, why all the hoopla about what's installed?

It's an endless argument and I'm not from California so we're not going to agree. Just seems as though it could be a lot simpler if your concern was emissions and not the fines and repeated testing that comes from failing because your intake filter is different or you swapped a hose clamp for a zip tie.

If it didn't come with it from the factory then it doesn't "need" to be on there.

I guess we should all go back to stock then?
Maybe there is a problem, or maybe it's because the top half of my motor is aftermarket. Either way my numbers were far below the stock requirement so it's irrelevant.

I guess we should all go back to stock then?
Maybe there is a problem, or maybe it's because the top half of my motor is aftermarket. Either way my numbers were far below the stock requirement so it's irrelevant.

Since I am playing the devil's advocate, yes. If all your superior aftermarket parts don't work well together without the need to increase fuel pressure to make it work right then maybe it isn't as superior as you think.

Superchargers and turbochargers "need" some type of enhancements so those are off the table in this discussion.

Aftermarket isn't always better, and sometimes stock isn't much better either.

I'm not suggesting that the emissions reductions don't work or aren't important, I just think that if you pull up to the station and you pass the test who cares what's under the hood.

If smog is the problem and your car passes the test, why all the hoopla about what's installed?

It's an endless argument and I'm not from California so we're not going to agree. Just seems as though it could be a lot simpler if your concern was emissions and not the fines and repeated testing that comes from failing because your intake filter is different or you swapped a hose clamp for a zip tie.

While I support the efforts, I do believe that sometimes the laws go too far. We have california compliant plywood and cabinets, glues, cleaners etc. That to me is crazy, and so are some of the things I have to fail cars for.

It is an endless and pointless agrument. Nobody wins here, well except for our future generations. Maybe that is the point we all need to take... We are only here for a short time, but our actions will last for generations to come. The cumulative effect of the people of the past are what we are trying to correct. As people are born into the current system they see it as normal rather than an unpleasant change to how we have always done it. The new generations are taught to conserve, recycle, and protect the environment. Quite a change to the thinking of 100 years ago, hell even 40 years ago. And I feel that is something that has to continue to happen. I'm not an environmentalist, not even close, but I do understand that we need to make a change now and stick to it.

I'll get off my soapbox now....

:D

When a group of anything moves into an area which due to limited resources, can not support the population, there are always issues.

Sothern CA in particular has been able to sustain itself by drawing resources from other States, which enables the population to increase unabated. CARB rules only delay the enevitable. At some point, CA will choke on it's own excess :wave:

The problem I see is the rest of us will have to put up with those who manage to escape ;)

and the time is coming when your regulations don't make it cost effective to do business anymore.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-smith-wesson-microstamping-law-20140123-story.html

and they're not the only ones that are going to let their firearms drop off the roster.

I actually like the fact that I can make people fix their junky cars and not just drive them into the ground while polluting the air we all breathe.

Sounds exactly like that power hungry smog guy that was mentioned before.... whats the matter? got a bad knee and couldnt be a cop?

The problem I see is the rest of us will have to put up with those who manage to escape ;)

I deal with the morons who escaped your hell hole (wherever it is, i dont really care) on a daily basis, i can only imagine the morons who stayed behind....

Just seems as though it could be a lot simpler if your concern was emissions and not the fines and repeated testing that comes from failing because your intake filter is different or you swapped a hose clamp for a zip tie.

It JUST SEEMS TO ME, that you should look into shit before you share your opinion, there arent fines for failing smog.... whats next? you gonna claim deth panels and benghazi?

You guys need to stop thinking about california, get cali off your tongue. I assure you nobody here gives two ****s about your state....

XCM said:
Awake, I am ready.

Go the **** to sleep :D

Just kidding!

Relax, take a breath, drink some water that came all the way from the Colorado river in Nevada to your tap.
Think of how many fish *** in that water, and how many bears ****** in it before you drank it.

Don't you just love Lost Angels ;)

Last edited:
Back