• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Slim jim blocker?

If you're going to go to that extent, get a lojack. If a thief steals a car, he's probably going to jack that cell phone too and cell it. The lojack costs around 800 to install, no monthly fees, and if you get the system with the pager, you get 5 phone calls if someone else starts/moves the vehicle. Plus you'll probably get a FATTY discount on your insurance if you have lojack, so it'll pay for itself...

The coupled with a pager alarm, I think you'd be golden.

to be honest, i allways ASSumed lojack had a monthly fee.... i dont really want to carry a pager, but i will be looking into this more!

I always figured lojack had a monthly service too, but the way it works, it uses a 2-meter vhf channel allocated to the police of each state instead of some sort of plan with the company. So they pretty much just design, build, and sell the hardware, the police get to deal with the rest.

Another idea - twin stick a d300, leave it in high gear on one axle and low on the other when parked :dunno:

I always figured lojack had a monthly service too, but the way it works, it uses a 2-meter vhf channel allocated to the police of each state instead of some sort of plan with the company. So they pretty much just design, build, and sell the hardware, the police get to deal with the rest.

Another idea - twin stick a d300, leave it in high gear on one axle and low on the other when parked :dunno:
Most police departments have cars and aircraft equipped with a directional antenna system which pinpoints the location of the car and also receives an ID number that identifies the vehicle so the police can recognize it.

the cell phone idea is way cheap compared to 800.00, and like the guy said, it's hidden, so no one would even know the phone was there sending out a GPS signal. I was thinking of doing that with an older phone.

currently I use what I like to think is a fail safe security system. I call it Zoe, and it's a 165 lbs Great Dane, who hates strangers and very protective of what she thinks is "hers", for example, the inside of my XJ.

that dog weighs more than i do!

Also, on older XJs the fiber glass hatch is easy to bust the lock cylinder out of. Mine was busted into in 2008 using that method. they stole my woofer, tools and a couple rifles, i had used during the day. I was only parked where i was for a couple hours. they got caught though, months later. I had the serials for the guns.

I ended up putting a security latch kinda thing over the space where the lock cylinder got busted out. made it look like that. http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/ind...dID=77515227&albumID=2734815&imageID=45031192

I love the hidden cell phone idea, Next time I live in the city I'm going this way ! Many thanks. But maybe the best way to keep your jeep at home. Is to live out in the middle of nowhere like me. A killswitch is a good start. Also some car alarms accessories like glass breaking sensor & there are some sensors that listen for scraping noises around the keyhole. Can be added to any alarms system you may already have

Glass Break Sensor for Car Alarm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyhwCNZg0KQ

Most police departments have cars and aircraft equipped with a directional antenna system which pinpoints the location of the car and also receives an ID number that identifies the vehicle so the police can recognize it.
Yep, done some reading about it - I'm looking at building my own custom system because I know I can do it for under 800 bucks and with exact GPS location reporting+engine disable instead of just knowing about where the car is. I've seen the lojack equipped cruisers around town, they're the ones with the four ~18" whip antennas in a square on the roof. Gotta love phased arrays/RDX gear!

Honestly, I have had my Jeep broken into twice. Both times the thief broke into the small rear stationary window on one of the rear doors (4 door). It is easy to brake and makes less noise I guess. Alternatively it is easy to fix and clean up. lol So maybe weld in pieces of steel over these windows?

Honestly, I have had my Jeep broken into twice. Both times the thief broke into the small rear stationary window on one of the rear doors (4 door). It is easy to brake and makes less noise I guess. Alternatively it is easy to fix and clean up. lol So maybe weld in pieces of steel over these windows?

I think you reach a point of diminishing returns. If a thief is willing to break a window, what would stop them from moving onto a larger window if the small window was made of steel. I think that if you reach the point of using steel bars, steel windows, polycarbonate windows, etc, you have to start looking at better solutions.

The cell phone idea is great. I considered doing something similar with a SPOT device, but they are expensiv and don't have a power coard hookup. A cell phone is nice if you live in a city. I didn't consider that option when I lived in Phoenix because cell phone reception in the desert or out of the country is questionable. Cell phone coverage disappears quite fast once you leave the interstate.

I'm gonna be honest here... a slim jim isn't the way to get into an XJ. A long bar and a wedge are the way to go. Ask me how I know ;)

TM61AW.jpg

TM61AW-01L.jpg

Its sure is. i have a whole case full of those. with instructions on how to get into any car up to a 2001.

Back