• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Slim jim blocker?

so guys, is there any defenses against this so called wedge?
also, im NOT looking for the mad max look, i allready have a full cage, i dont need any more bars.

park it in the garage with a pit bull......these days I seriously think there is no where safe, i have pretty much quit locking my jeep when it is out side, i dont want the hassle of broken glass and replacing a window.....

Perhaps, but most kids and casual thieves aren't going to have very good tools. Generally, it's a slim jim cut from a long hacksaw blade, a real 'jim, or (worst case) a folding 'jim.

You can't protect from a dedicated thief - they'll find a way in. There's no such animal as 100% security.

But, you can protect from casual intrusion. All locks and wards do is keep honest men honest, and make the usual dishonest man look for easier pickings.

A thief is an opportunist at heart. Aren't you a repo man? You're a bit more dedicated to opening and moving vehicles when the keys are not available, and you'll have more tools to effect that...

I feel ya, I was just pointing out that XJ's are one of the harder vehicles to slim. The only cars I slim are cars with vertical locks, (Fords, Dodge trucks, PT Cruisers etc.) most everything else I use a long bar on. And yea, it's mah job :D

Yeah, but that's a Mazda 6, not a jeep. Srsly, if the window is up, how do you get that thing by it?

Wedges, you stick them between the door jamb and the door.

magicwand3.jpg

They can also be used like this
lti.bmp

With manual window cranks I've also dampened my hands and pulled down hard on the glass with a quick tug. I've gotten them open so wide I can reach my hand in.

Bingo.

so guys, is there any defenses against this so called wedge?
also, im NOT looking for the mad max look, i allready have a full cage, i dont need any more bars.

In short no, probably the hardest thing to overcome is tinted windows, if you can't SEE what you're doing it makes it difficult, however you're begging for a ticket living in this wonderful state we live in. And you can still just look through the windshield (harder on a lifted vehicle). Your best bet is a good parking spot, and an alarm. As much as people don't think alarms work, 5-90 is right, thieves are opportunists, if they see a flashing light they think will be an alarm, there's a good chance they'll move on. However if there's something they want in there, they're going to get it by any means necessary, albeit a broken window or an unlock. At least an alarm will get them moving and won't give them time to browse.

I have a couple of thoughts on this. When I lived in Phoenix, I was very worried about Jeep theft because if you don't find the jeep in a few hours it's either burned up in the desert, or it has left the country. Many people in our Jeep club had their rigs stolen.

Disclaimer: Please don't chime in that theives will find this page and use info to steal more cars and/or stuff. That argument is tired...

1. The easiest quiet way to break into a cherokee without special tools is to pop off the passenger side door lock. They can be removed in seconds with a flat-blad screwdriver, and theives can access the unlock linkage with their finger.
2. As other pointed out, it is also very easy to open a cherokee with a rod, coat hanger, etc. The door gaps on cherokees are huge, with thick rubber foam to fill the gap
3. If a thief really wants something from inside your jeep, they will break the window. Often, it will be the small window on the rear door.
4. I don't recommend replacing your windows with polycarbonate or adding metal bars to your glass. It won't do much to prevent theft, but can leave you in a dangerous situation if you are in an accident on-road or off. The fire department should be able to easily shatter your windows and you should be able to do the same if your door is stuck shut.
5. A kill switch is your friend. Multiple (fuel/ignition) is even better.
6. Don't leave expensive crap in your vehicle like tools, recovery gear, work stuff, etc. Don't advertise your stereo. Don't leave you GPS mounted to your windsheild. Don't leave cell phone or ipod cords in plain sight.

I installed a kill switch and replaced my vunerable locks with carriage bolts. I now rely on my power locks to get the doors open, or the rear hatch which has the keyed entry. I keep a spare remote in the rear cargo area in case mine dies.
1610656488_6b9f1eedb7_o.jpg

1609768551_84f7416b02_o.jpg

I don't leave expensive stuff in my cars...

to keep the car from leaving too, we use a brake pedal block. they sell them at pep boys, kragen, etc for 39.99 usually.

works very well for us, and it comes with a cool steering wheel cover that serves as a visual deterrant.

what if the battery dies?

I don't know, what do you do if your battery dies? :D If my remote battery dies, I use my spare remote in the cargo area. If the Jeep battery dies, I open the hatch, unlock the back door, then unlock the drivers door, then pop the hood, and deal with a dead battery. At that point I have bigger issues. I've had this setup for 5 years and both scenarios have happened.

my XJ has been broken into 4 times. one time was 100ft from my open apt window, and I didn't hear a thing.

The first time was in hollywood, i parked on a side street to avoid the 12$ parking lot fee, and came back to seeing my passenger side lock cylinder hanging off the outside of the door. no special tools, no slim jim or wedge block and extended reach pull handle - they used a flathead screwdriver. just below the lock cylinder there is a 1/4 wide hole, which they punched with a screwdriver that I later found laying on the floor in the back. I dont know if they used a hammer or what, but I was only away from the truck for 15 minutes, so it happened fast. they punched this hole and pried out the entire lock cylinder, pulling the lock rod with it and unlocking the door.

the other three times it was just a smash and grab window job. the last time they went as far as to cut the wires to the starter, then break the window and run down the street to see if i came outside. i can only assume the cut starter wire was to keep me from moving the jeep if i did come out and see the broken window, so they could come back later. I heard it and ran outside, and saw a blue caddilac peel out around the corner as i ran up the the XJ... saw the busted window, looked in and saw nothing gone, so i figured they were coming back. tried to start the jeep to take it to a friends house so they couldn't find it, and nothing. thats when i found the cut wires. i grabbed everything i had in the jeep out of there, removed my whole radio (not just the faceplate - that's only a mild deterrant anyway you can order them on ebay now for a few dollars) and emptied the glove box and left it open. I rolled all the windows down as well and hoped they didn't get pissed off and slash my tires when they came back and saw nothing left.

What I am getting at here is you really can't stop thieves from getting in, if they want to bad enough. it used to be that they would move on to an easier target, but I really don't think they just walk up and down the street trying to get into each vehicle anymore, if they ever did. The best theft deterrent is to hide everything - but hide it *before* you get to where you're going. I keep having to tell my wife this, she waits till she parks at the mall to pull her gps out of the window and throw it in the glove box. by then its too late, if someone saw you pull it down, they know right where to look for it. That, and don't leave anything in your vehicle you can't afford to lose. chances are they won't take the whole truck (you should have a starter kill anyway - its easy enough to wire up) and if they do... well thats what insurance and receipts are for.

XCM give me a ring or bring your XJ by my place if you want help wiring up a starter kill switch.

theives suck, but you can't stop em - anything you do will at best just slow em down.

I keep having to tell my wife this, she waits till she parks at the mall to pull her gps out of the window and throw it in the glove box. by then its too late, if someone saw you pull it down, they know right where to look for it.

That little ring left by the suction cup is also a good way to attract attention to your car.

ha i can get in the vent windows on my cherokee with the wire off of the master cylinder lid. takes 2 of them if the little button lock actually works, but i can do it in under a minute. kind of scares me its that easy though ha

the problem with what most people are posting, is you guys are assuming its the stuff INSIDE the vehicle that im trying to protect, im trying to protect the jeeps themselves, garaging is not an option. im not worried about dead batteries either, worrying about stuff like that is as stupid as saying 'what if i lose my key?!?' duh, dont loose your key.

the problem with what most people are posting, is you guys are assuming its the stuff INSIDE the vehicle that im trying to protect, im trying to protect the jeeps themselves, garaging is not an option. im not worried about dead batteries either, worrying about stuff like that is as stupid as saying 'what if i lose my key?!?' duh, dont loose your key.

i may take you up on the offer grimm!

i may take you up on the offer grimm!

I think your worries are justified. I can't believe that you live in LA and haven't installed a kill switch. Get on that soon!

the problem with what most people are posting, is you guys are assuming its the stuff INSIDE the vehicle that im trying to protect, im trying to protect the jeeps themselves
In Hawaii your more likely to lose your vehicle to a theif with a tow truck then a theif that hot wires your car. I keep a spare cell phone behind a interior panel with a power souce hooked upto it, if the power is cut the battery should be good for atleast a couple days. It is one of those gps cell phones parents use to beable to see where there kid is at. I only have a data plan on it that comes out to about $10 a month extra. If my vehicle is stolen I can see where it is on my cell phone and even let the cops tap into the signal.
kill switchs, blinking lights and club type devices are good for detering most smash and grabs and some car thiefs.

Buy a cordless impact wrench and take your wheels off and put it on blocks. They won't stand a chance at that one.....Seriously, what are you looking at protecting it from? Rocks being thrown at it? Towed away? Hotwired? Slashed tires? You can't say you want to protect the Jeep then not explain, other than saying not the contents.

In Hawaii your more likely to lose your vehicle to a theif with a tow truck then a theif that hot wires your car. I keep a spare cell phone behind a interior panel with a power souce hooked upto it, if the power is cut the battery should be good for atleast a couple days. It is one of those gps cell phones parents use to beable to see where there kid is at. I only have a data plan on it that comes out to about $10 a month extra. If my vehicle is stolen I can see where it is on my cell phone and even let the cops tap into the signal.
kill switchs, blinking lights and club type devices are good for detering most smash and grabs and some car thiefs.

wow thats an awesome idea.

If you're going to go to that extent, get a lojack. If a thief steals a car, he's probably going to jack that cell phone too and cell it. The lojack costs around 800 to install, no monthly fees, and if you get the system with the pager, you get 5 phone calls if someone else starts/moves the vehicle. Plus you'll probably get a FATTY discount on your insurance if you have lojack, so it'll pay for itself...

The coupled with a pager alarm, I think you'd be golden.

Buy a cordless impact wrench and take your wheels off and put it on blocks. They won't stand a chance at that one.....Seriously, what are you looking at protecting it from? Rocks being thrown at it? Towed away? Hotwired? Slashed tires? You can't say you want to protect the Jeep then not explain, other than saying not the contents.

i will shortly have $750 in shocks on the front end, and those are used. not including anything else, i think its a nice score. friends rig is even nicer.

do you have the shittiest jeep ever or what? why is it soo hard to beleive some people have nice jeeps?

Back