• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

"slim jim"

iwannadie

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, I am not looking to break into cars but, I need a slim jim in my garage.

Recently on one of my vehicles the arm that goes from the door handle to the actual locking mechanism broke. The arm still functioned to release the door only the handle inside or out did not. I had to barrow a slim jim to open the door to get the door panel off to fix it.

I have been looking and there's tons of kits on amazon and such places. Are they all created equally or is there a particular one/brand to look out for?

i dont even know that the one we have at my house even has a brand. but it works on anything that is not a power lock. doesnt really seem that there is much to it.

go find a shop that receives pallets of heavy goods.... see that metal strapping they use to band the stuff to the pallet? makes a perfectly good slim jim.

BEYOND THAT, sure, im positive there are 'better' brands than others... but most of the time any slim jim will do, unless your a tow truck driver looking for a lock pick set... who cares.... put that effort your trying to put into getting a kick ass slim jim.... into not locking yourself out next time. or having an extra key made.

Why not just fix the problem!

I was reading reviews on amazon and other places, some say the handle breaks the first use and things like that I was hoping to avoid. I also didn't lock myself out, I had an internal door failure.

As for the problem, it is fixed but if something like that happens again I would like to be able to open the door. I was not going to use the slim jim as a fix....

Last time I was in AZ, they had slim jim's at the dollar store..

Don't know if im too late.. but if you talk to crazyjim on here, im sure he will steer you into the right direction.. he steals cars for a living..

Years ago I bought a slim Jim kit with instructions for a ten year spanked almost all vehicles from the guy who drives a MAC TOOLS TRUCK. he's not supposed to sell to the public but since I worked for the shop and said its for shop use I was able to buy it. I've used it many many times too help people that lock keys In there cars. I always tell them if there window breaks its not my fault I'm just being a good Samaritan.

Get a air wedge and a long bar, it gets you into about 90% of the vehicles out there

Any tool truck will at least be able to find you a "lockout kit" it comes with all kinds of nifty tools to help you get into locked vehicles. I bought mine for 150ish

Just an FYI about slim jims:

AZ – ArizonaArizona Revised Statutes – Section 13-1505. Possession of burglary tools; master key; manipulation key; classification.A. A person commits possession of burglary tools by:1. Possessing any explosive, tool, instrument or other article adapted or commonly used for committing any form of burglary as defined in sections 13-1506, 13-1507 and 13-1508 and intending to use or permit the use of such an item in the commission of a burglary.C. Possession of burglary tools is a class 6 felony.

AZ – ArizonaArizona Revised Statutes – Section 13-1505. Possession of burglary tools; master key; manipulation key; classification.A. A person commits possession of burglary tools by:1. Possessing any explosive, tool, instrument or other article adapted or commonly used for committing any form of burglary as defined in sections 13-1506, 13-1507 and 13-1508 and intending to use or permit the use of such an item in the commission of a burglary.C. Possession of burglary tools is a class 6 felony.

So does a hammer and screwdriver fit this description? hehe

There's the fine thread... I seriously doubt a cop is going to roll into a shop and throw me in the clink for possession of burglary tools. The cop would have to be able to prove they're burglary tools.

Done, let me know how bubba is doing...

The cop would have to be able to prove they're burglary tools.

He'd look at you.

The judge would look at you.

The jury would look at you.

Then your new cell mate would suggest a nice tramp stamp for you.

This isn't something I would be just carrying around with me on a daily basis. It would sit in my garage lol.

Back