• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Slightly higher in the front? Pics

You could run the hd no lift shackle relocation and a shackle that gives .75-1.5 inch lift. The shackle relocations he sells has adjustment so you can dial in height and shackle angle.

With a longer shackle the angle will be less than desireable. You could get the relocater brackets but it might lift it more than you're looking for.

Not with a boomerang shackle. You want a 45 not straight up and down like the stubbie stock one.

And with relocation you need to run a longer one anyway or it could bottom out.

So it sounds like obtaining the jks shackle won't do much at this point but raise me around an inch.
It will most likely keep a similar shackle angle and ride quality.
I'm not all that concerned with ride quality as I am with performance. I'm just a bit worried having a camping load in the back and taking it on the trails. But I'm running out of time and money so it may be my only option.
Is there any huge downside or ill-effect to driving it/4wheeling it with the shackles as they are now?

I have always been interested in a fender trim. But that's down the road a bit

Longer shackles will worsen the angle you have now making the ride worse. Ideal shackle angle is a 45 degree lean to the rear. The shackle relocation kits either no lift or with 1 inch lift allow you to dial in the angle you want so your ride remains good and you get good flex.

If you do a search for shackle relocation brackets on here you can see some threads with pics showing how they work and install.

So it sounds like obtaining the jks shackle won't do much at this point but raise me around an inch.
It will most likely keep a similar shackle angle and ride quality.
I'm not all that concerned with ride quality as I am with performance. I'm just a bit worried having a camping load in the back and taking it on the trails. But I'm running out of time and money so it may be my only option.
Is there any huge downside or ill-effect to driving it/4wheeling it with the shackles as they are now?

I have always been interested in a fender trim. But that's down the road a bit

If I recall you purchased some HD springs, I doubt a camping load, perhaps 200lbs, is going to compress the rear much. Throw a few hundred lbs in the back and take measurements before and after. You risk nothing trying that first in your driveway and it cost zero dollars.

Re: Re: Slightly higher in the front? Pics

If I recall you purchased some HD springs, I doubt a camping load, perhaps 200lbs, is going to compress the rear much. Throw a few hundred lbs in the back and take measurements before and after. You risk nothing trying that first in your driveway and it cost zero dollars.
you are correct. And that is a smart idea that I will definitely try. Passenger in the back is about 120. A 30lb dog and a 55lb. So there's 205 right there. I just got a roof rack so that should displace some of the weight of gear. I think the HD is rating at 700 plus lbs.

Which by the way I really like. Sport Cargo basket. reasonable price at 160. Pretty sturdy seeming

So pardon my ignorance, but when concerned with bottoming out we are talking about these two points hitting, correct? And my shackles have a bit of rearward angle now it seems. Rearward meaning the shackle pointing towards the rear
9e4a9uha.jpg

So pardon my ignorance, but when concerned with bottoming out we are talking about these two points hitting, correct? And my shackles have a bit of rearward angle now it seems. Rearward meaning the shackle pointing towards the rear
9e4a9uha.jpg

It doesn't travel backwards as much as you think. I can't be positive but I bet you'd hit the bumpstop before that shackle would run into interference. All these questions you're asking you can run a few simple tests and see if it's a problem. Go find a dirt mound or a log, back your jeep up so that one rear tire is 24"-30" off the ground or high enough that you axle hits the bump stop. Then take a look and see if the shackle is hitting. Better yet do it with a 2 sacks of concrete in the back to simulate your camping load

Personally I think your good!

Last edited:

It doesn't travel backwards as much as you think. I can't be positive but I bet you'd hit the bumpstop before that shackle would run into interference. All these questions you're asking you can run a few simple tests and see if it's a problem. Go find a dirt mound or a log, back your jeep up so that one rear tire is 24"-30" off the ground or high enough that you axle hits the bump stop. Then take a look and see if the shackle is hitting. Better yet do it with a 2 sacks of concrete in the back to simulate your camping load

Personally I think your good!
thanks dude. yea I'm starting to think so too. I sure can be a worry wort. I just want everything to go smooth for the people and dogs I'm taking camping. I'll go and try to find something to put my back tire up on

Cmahaff: the issue with the shackle hitting the rear cross member is exactly the issue the boomerang shackles eliminate.

Cmahaff: the issue with the shackle hitting the rear cross member is exactly the issue the boomerang shackles eliminate.

This!

The Jks' greatly improved my ride and got rid of the harshness.

If you mean the boomerangs with minimal lift yeah doubt it will do much to make the ride worse. But better id be doubtful before I got my shackle relocations i tried jks boomerangs and it didn't do much to improve my ride with the xj length leaf packs. The relocation kit along with a slightly longer shackle for added lift gave me a factory ride quality along with more flex in the rear.

I'm a huge fan of the relocation brackets on lifted xj's they are cheap and do what they are supposed to do.

If you mean the boomerangs with minimal lift yeah doubt it will do much to make the ride worse. But better id be doubtful before I got my shackle relocations i tried jks boomerangs and it didn't do much to improve my ride with the xj length leaf packs. The relocation kit along with a slightly longer shackle for added lift gave me a factory ride quality along with more flex in the rear.

I'm a huge fan of the relocation brackets on lifted xj's they are cheap and do what they are supposed to do.

I hear good things about the relocation brackets too... but the boomerang brackets did help alleviate the pogo stick effect of the stock shackles.. the added lift was a bonus.. if I ever lift more in the rear I'll go to the relocation boxes next and get a better angle... here's my setup..

IMG_23062_zpsb07c1545.jpg

I hear good things about the relocation brackets too... but the boomerang brackets did help alleviate the pogo stick effect of the stock shackles.. the added lift was a bonus.. if I ever lift more in the rear I'll go to the relocation boxes next and get a better angle... here's my setup..

IMG_23062_zpsb07c1545.jpg
Exactly what I wanted to see. Thanks.

OK I think I have enough info to make a decision. Unfortunately I don't have time for any of it before my upcoming trip. I also did not find a dirt mound. So hopefully its all legit under there and I will post some real life pictures of how all my sweet mods work out.

Thanks everybody. Y'all rule hard.

Back