• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Serious Roof Rack (M2 Browning Mount)

Here's what I could find. Just google "armored jeep Cherokee" and look through the pics. U can find the original forum

53001f58ccb3f03c2a272905be3a712a.jpg

69a1ada233dbabfbf23e096ce1215792.jpg

c2f976d658f56aaa43cfbe024fc279e6.jpg

f69c7997c44646d49d6335019922129f.jpg

Ok, back to topic. I was thinking the rock hard 4x4 cage. It puts tubes where I need them to be as far as mounting the rack and doesn't restrict vision too terribly, and what I really like is its removable. No permanent welding.

a5fb1dc9fc90d6050e13cee5a6ba75fb.jpg

Nope, go ahead. And is that a VBL?
Yup. We did a course with the French marines in Croatia. Had a fun shoot-for-all during the first week. Shooting the famas was cool, especially since it converts so quick and easy for us lefties. The VBL was very cramped to shoot from though. I'm 6' and about 210 fighting weight and it took a shoehorn to get me in. Haha. Cool vehicle though. NBC over pressurization was a neat touch.
That up armored xj has had the full Monty done. Nice. Even noticed the firewall has sheilding. Gotta wonder if they plated the frame?

For your lil project I would think frame stiffeners would go a long way towards keeping things together longer. Sucks they aren't transferable to a replacement but at least they ate relatively inexpensive.
I wonder if a 12v hydraulic pump could be made to act as an assist to traverse? Something like this...
919299469ee5217a6154d395d65cc1df.jpg

True on the frame stiffeners. I might actually consider that. Once the build is done and everything is sitting the way it wants. I'll start looking around for stiffeners. About the hydraulic pump....a buddy of mine (well, acquaintance) has a Humber armored car. The one with the 37mm m6 gun. He affixed a hydraulic assist for the turret....way better than the manual crank

About the hydraulic pump....a buddy of mine (well, acquaintance) has a Humber armored car. The one with the 37mm m6 gun. He affixed a hydraulic assist for the turret....way better than the manual crank

Having spent countless hours in the motor pool using the manual crank to traverse the turret so we could clean the subturret (M1/A1/heavy/1st Gen A2), aux power is a god send. ;)

I'm very sorry to hear that. My condolences to you and yours.

Thank you all for the condolences. Don't worry the build is in stone...the designs are made and measurements taken. Just obviously have some priorities on top.

Thank you all for your condolences, they are absolutely appreciated. It's time to focus on the build again. Unfortunately, the jeep needs a new motor (bad rod knock), but I'll take this opportunity to get some of the stationary stuff out of the way. Like paint. I tested two rattle cans. A $3 rustoleum "camouflage" tan, and a Gillespie coatings 686 CARC tan rattle can at nearly $20 after shipping. The CARC takes it all (left) even after the price tag.

0753c431b0cca7541fa4af74aad584ed.jpg

Back