• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Serious Roof Rack (M2 Browning Mount)

The entire idea is cool. Just for the fun of it.

Most things that are fun are lacking in rational justification. Call it part of the spice of life.

I am hoping this turns out well.

Ok, final visualization before actual build. Dudes for size comparison. The gunner and driver are scale to a 5' 10'' person. I placed the gunner at the exact height in which he will be standing on the platform. I think it's close to perfect. The gun will need a riser pintle with forward tray of about a foot to be comfortable. Riser of about 5" to clear the light cage. Also, any fabricators that can help me with a roof rack only build estimate? Ball park. I can give dimensions and files (the files somehow got corrupted and went off scale. But are still good for an in the air quote.

1793601c0599a49a801f350467527ed8.jpg

Last edited:
That's scaled? Weird. I don't deny it (and god knows I have zero computer skills!) But I'm having a hard time seeing enough room to stand and get that level. Maybe if you reconfigure the floor like I did with mine...?
7c24a750f3f759bed3fbfa37fcb3f8bd.jpg
1c7095df412c974ec54d59036e4a39f1.jpg
b30d7e88d8645e647c2c350c66b0bd1e.jpg

It eliminates the transmission tunnel and would give a much more flat area to stand while engaging targets. Lot of work though...

Yep. To scale....the transmission hump sits quite a bit lower than the seat. The platform will be mounted to that. I've run numbers several times in several different ways. Open ur rear door and stand on the bottom foot panel. That'll give u a decent idea

Remember. The top of the roof rack is a good 9-10" above the roof. Thinking without the roof rack would put the weapon damn near ur waist. The roof rack is what puts it where it needs to be. I actually considered doing that with my floorboard until the roof rack idea hit. Less permanent alterations to the core vehicle in case I wreck it....i can just buy another xj and swap it over in a weekend.

Last edited:
Ahh... I get ya now. Forgot the rise created for the ring via the roof rack. Good call on making it transitional in case the original jeep goes tango uniform.
As for my mod... not for a turret but as additional space, flat space, which will allow me to store the long guns in a case. Out of sight and with the rear hatch closed and drawers stored there won't be a way to remove them.

Being what this will become. A weapons box wouldn't be a bad idea. Does the transmission get in the way? I haven't looked to see how much room between the trans and floor board at the hump

Being what this will become. A weapons box wouldn't be a bad idea. Does the transmission get in the way? I haven't looked to see how much room between the trans and floor board at the hump
When MA deuce starts yelling she needs lots of food. With my set up you could probably fit in a 20mm can and just cross load the belts into it? I'm sitting on about 4-5" lift and have a tcase drop. That allowed me the room because everything from about the end of the transmission was wasted space.

Yeah I just got out from under mine....I'm 6.5" with a drop. Sufficient room. I'm all about modularity so I'd think how to design to be removable. Maybe over size the panel slightly and rivet it in instead of weld. Wouldn't be water proof but hell, I have drain holes any way

As for the ammunition, everything will be stored in cans within reach (perhaps on the roof rack if it doesn't interfere with weapon travel) having to dip below the weapon to grab a belt seems scary. Especially if on the move. I was thinking more for small arms storage. Or tools.

having shot a M2 off the roof of my friends JKU, the position you have it at is going to make shooting it not very fun. even with the top off and standing in the cargo area of my buddies it was still awkward to aim and shoot.

Im sure you guys have all seen the jeep in question it was all over the internet a couple months ago when some videos surfaced. Below is me shooting it. didnt go nuts since i was paying for ammo and its 4 bux a round haha.

id suggest a pivoting and swiveling mount and a receiver hitch step you could stand on to get a good shooting position out of it. also getting the gun UP there without an open roof will be a challenge as well. damn M2 is heavy!

There will be a full sized platform in leu of the back seat....so plenty of room for moving. It's on a 360 degree 48" diameter ring mount with a 12" forward mount. The m2 with that setup (my buddies m35a2). An identical setup with the same ring was pretty comfortable. Crane technologies sells a pivot mount that I was looking at that allows for up to 20" of forward extension but I doubt it'll support MA

Lol ma is a big girl for sure. You can put her up through the roof hatch if you attach the barrel while its mounted and visa Versa to remove

Back