• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

San Diego run corral canyon

XJsurf said:
That's a nice little tight squeeze, I can almost hear the damage from hear. Oh well that's what Jeeps are for.

There was as scratch on my door handle. That's mine against the tree in the pic.

So what's the itenary for Sunday? Are we going to just meet up at 4 corners? time? shooting?

Homebrew I can probably meet you up at McD's.

XJsurf said:
So what's the itenary for Sunday? Are we going to just meet up at 4 corners? time? shooting?

Homebrew I can probably meet you up at McD's.

Looks like Homebrew is planning on meeting a McD's at 9:00.

The McD's is about 1:10-1:15 hours to the 4 Corners Area.

So, I assume we planning on trying to hit the trail by 10:30 at the latest.

As for shooting, I am planning on leaving San Diego area around 7:00am to get to the range by about 8:30, or so. We'll shoot until about 9:30 or so, and plan to be back at 4 Corners at about 10:15.

If anyone wants, we could plan to meet up and Buckman Springs exit, and caravan to 4 Corners so no one gets lost. Maybe at 10:00?

is it that far from me really? didnt seem to take that long

Maybe it's not quite that far. Google Maps sasys 45 minutes to the Buckman Springs Exit. Probably another 15 minutes to 4Corners??

Yes Sir

Ok, good news and bad news....

Good news is the T-case isn't as bad as I thought...infact it doesn't move side to side at all as I remembered, instead it slides in and out on the shaft by perhaps 1/16 inch and it is under torque....so I think I'm fine there.

Bad news is the freeze plugs won't go in the motor. =( I've got them in the freezer now hoping that will shrink them down enough to get them in...but I feel like I'm smacking them a lot harder than I should be.

Any suggestions are highly welcomed....

Anyway, at this point my rig may be tenative on showing, but if there's a free seat available should I not be able to get it back together in time, I wouldn't mind just tagging along and playing winch bitch.

Michael

Hey mike I dont have a winch but you can be my bitch lol. How are you trying to install the plugs? Are you using something flat to apply pressure across the whole thing?

SanDiegoXJ said:
Ok, good news and bad news....

Good news is the T-case isn't as bad as I thought...infact it doesn't move side to side at all as I remembered, instead it slides in and out on the shaft by perhaps 1/16 inch and it is under torque....so I think I'm fine there.

Bad news is the freeze plugs won't go in the motor. =( I've got them in the freezer now hoping that will shrink them down enough to get them in...but I feel like I'm smacking them a lot harder than I should be.

Any suggestions are highly welcomed....

Anyway, at this point my rig may be tenative on showing, but if there's a free seat available should I not be able to get it back together in time, I wouldn't mind just tagging along and playing winch bitch.

Michael

Michael,
I don't really know... but I found this:

11. I chose brass freeze plugs to replace the old steel ones. I didn’t want to perform this repair again in 5 years. The Jeep 4.0L engine uses 2” freeze plugs. I found mine at Napa, but competent engine machine shops will likely have them also. I applied a light coating of RTV to the outside of the freeze plug and drove it in place using a socket and a hammer. It can take a little effort to get the freeze plug started, but keep working at it and make sure that the plug drives into the block straight. Drive the freeze plug to the same depth as the others.

http://www.mcma-online.org/techfiles/freezeplugs40.html

Maybe the RTV will act as a lube to help it slide in???

Heh, tried rtv too...didn't help. I'm freezing the plugs now to see if that helps any, but these are noticeably larger than the old ones. I also got mine from napa, brass 2" plug. I just cant for the life of me get it to budge...keeps popping to one side or another...mebbe I'm just not driving it perfectly straight, but it looks pretty good to me.

XJsurf said:
I'm always learning something here, but what are freezeplugs? Location on engine? Purpose?

They are on the engine block. If your coolant freezes, it expands. These plugs will pop out if it freezes. Otherwise, you could crack the block when the coolant tries to expand.

Follow the link I posted above... it has pictures.

I was gonna turn out for the shooting, but an hour on the range doesn't seem quite worth the drive to Jacumba.

I'm still down for the wheeling down at CC though, see you guys at 4 corners.

Tom

ocean_jet said:
They are on the engine block. If your coolant freezes, it expands. These plugs will pop out if it freezes. Otherwise, you could crack the block when the coolant tries to expand.

Follow the link I posted above... it has pictures.

I thought coolant was called ANTi-freeze. How can coolant freeze? :D

Joking. Too bad that ain't really a problem in socal.

tripdog said:
I was gonna turn out for the shooting, but an hour on the range doesn't seem quite worth the drive to Jacumba.

I'm still down for the wheeling down at CC though, see you guys at 4 corners.

Tom

Is anyone planning on hitting the range besides myself?

If anyone is, I will definately be there.

If my buddy and I are the only ones... we may end up not going... or going after wheeling. (It is a pretty long drive for an hour shooting!)

Let me know... Range Headcount Please.

Thanks.

Hmmm get up earlier to have someone pull a Dick Cheney on me....nah, I'm sleepin' in (if that's what you want to call it!). hehe, but seriously, not much of a gun guy....but I'd be happy to empty several beer cans for you if you need targets. =)

ocean_jet said:
Is anyone planning on hitting the range besides myself?

If anyone is, I will definately be there.

If my buddy and I are the only ones... we may end up not going... or going after wheeling. (It is a pretty long drive for an hour shooting!)

Let me know... Range Headcount Please.

Thanks.

I might be up for some blasting after, depending on how much time we spend on the trail. :roll: But I have a feeling we'll be out there playing pretty much all day...we'll see.

Back