• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

San Diego run corral canyon

Hard to say, its not like cleghorn where there are a lot of fire roads. Me and mike did 2 trails and it took us about 3 hours. With a group of ten rigs I would estimate that we could be out there as long as 5 hours. Depending on the trails that we decide to run, which we wont be able to do until we get to look at the capability of the rigs in attendance.

I'm soo excited!!! I wanna go play!!!

Oh, and locked front/open rear....unless I can find a lock rite in stock somewhere this friday for my 27 spline 8.25....then locked/locked =)

Think I'm taking Friday off so I have Thursday night, Friday, and Sat to fix my junk. So if anyone is bored and has nothing to do, come change freeze plugs with me...and maybe rebuild a 231....though I still have high hopes that it's just a loose yoke nut. =)

ooh, I'll try and hit a junk yard for a spare or two as well. Anyone know what ecology charges for an axle shaft off hand? Damn this is an expensive hobby....I need a better job. =)

Thanx Homebrew,
Just trying to get a round-a-bout figure on how long we'll be out there.
My last 2 trips to Cleg were each 7 hours. So much snow. we were out there all day and ended up turning back both times. :bawl:

SanDiegoXJ said:
I'm soo excited!!! I wanna go play!!!

Oh, and locked front/open rear....unless I can find a lock rite in stock somewhere this friday for my 27 spline 8.25....then locked/locked =)

Think I'm taking Friday off so I have Thursday night, Friday, and Sat to fix my junk. So if anyone is bored and has nothing to do, come change freeze plugs with me...and maybe rebuild a 231....though I still have high hopes that it's just a loose yoke nut. =)

Don't waste your money on the 27 spline. Upgrade the shafts/carrier, or swap axles. You won't have too many issues, lots of bypasses. Biggest thing is climbing up stuff, and if you have a front locker you shouldn't have an issue.

SanDiegoXJ said:
ooh, I'll try and hit a junk yard for a spare or two as well. Anyone know what ecology charges for an axle shaft off hand? Damn this is an expensive hobby....I need a better job. =)

I think they're 25 or 50, leaning towards 25 though. I need to head down there Saturday and look for stuff... Check the classifieds if I find a 44. :)

markw said:
Don't waste your money on the 27 spline. Upgrade the shafts/carrier, or swap axles. You won't have too many issues, lots of bypasses. Biggest thing is climbing up stuff, and if you have a front locker you shouldn't have an issue.

yeah, I just saw one for $300...figured I could use that until could afford either a detroit for a 29 spline, or better yet, a D44, at which point I could sell the locker, carrier, shafts for $150 and not be too bad off. =) (In the meantime I'll just carry shafts and have a light right foot).

Now, if I have to change the front output bearing in the 231, is there anything special I need for that? will a regular bearing install/removal kit work? I'm scared to hit it with a hammer...the cases sound so damn brittle. I just don't want to get half way into the job, only to find I can't finish. And what is the best way to find a part number for that bearing should I have to replace it? I guess the ability to purchase one overrides everything else. =)

It blows my mind what they carry sometimes, but pisses me off when I crack my water outlet housing and call and here sorry we dont carry those.

Dezertdog said:
Can anyone give me an estimate about how long we will be on the trail?

30 minutes???? :)

What trails we gonna run? Sidewinder and BP? Sidewinder is fairly tame.
BP is a bit tippy at the bottom by the tree. If we go up, you'd need a front locker.

SanDiegoXJ said:
yeah, I just saw one for $300...figured I could use that until could afford either a detroit for a 29 spline, or better yet, a D44, at which point I could sell the locker, carrier, shafts for $150 and not be too bad off. =) (In the meantime I'll just carry shafts and have a light right foot).

Now, if I have to change the front output bearing in the 231, is there anything special I need for that? will a regular bearing install/removal kit work? I'm scared to hit it with a hammer...the cases sound so damn brittle. I just don't want to get half way into the job, only to find I can't finish. And what is the best way to find a part number for that bearing should I have to replace it? I guess the ability to purchase one overrides everything else. =)

Again, if that bearing is shot, the other end probably isn't looking good, plus you've probably had metal running through everything. Be ready for the worst. I'd start shopping for a xfer case myself. :)

Here: http://www.jbconversions.com/pages/products/rebuild/index.html

Last edited:
well, like I say, I'm hoping it's just a loose yoke nut...the rig has only been in 4wd once since the SYE install. Immediately after that it developed a front output leak, but the yoke needed to be tightened down....didn't have a torque wrench either, so I have no idea how tight it is....just got one last weekend, but it's only goes to 80 ft/lb (and I haven't even tried that yet)....I'll get a beefier one this week and torque it to 110 and see where I stand.

If you want to bring it by sans front ds, I've got everything to do that.

Ok, here's my question. Does everyone at least have recovery points front and rear? I know I do and mikeg does. What about the rest of you?

Me hooks/hitch

front hooks
rear hitchw/d-ring
locked front and rear

markw said:
Ok, here's my question. Does everyone at least have recovery points front and rear? I know I do and mikeg does. What about the rest of you?

my chance to finally meet up with some of the fine folks fron NAXJA this weekend is contingent on having proper recovery points installed. they're ordered- now just waiting.

Back