• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rusty '96 - I'm in love with it!

bacelaw said:
will do! i cant believe how informative this forum is - hopefully, in six months, my XJ will be tip-top...

with at least less serious rust/rot than it had when i got it.

these engines are just invincible, the jeeps are easy to work out, straightforward, reliable vehicles...i think it's worth at least a half-way restoration to hang on to this rig for another 4-5 years!

Hell, for all the work of replacing the floor I would just buy one from an area that doesn't salt the roads. 20, 30 or more year old vehicles have no issues with rust out here.

bacelaw said:
First all - this forum is amazing, such a wealth of information.

Here's my story and questions:

I bought a 1996 XJ, 4wd, manual, about two years ago - my first jeep. The past six months I have changed rear shocks (broke all four bolts), slave and master cylinder, new tires, brake discs and rotors in the front etc.. etc...

Needless to say, I am falling in love with this jeep, and saving $$ on self-repairs!!

Question: Rust, passenger and drivers floor panels are horrible, along with the cargo area, and above the muffler is probably the worst (I live in boston, heavy salt).....Should I purchase heavy steel plates, try to shape? Should i purchase JC Whitney panels, and learn how to weld??

OR, do you just wait until your absolutely HAVE TO start addressing the rusted out floor of your XJ...

Im scared, alone, and crying, I love my jeep and don't want it to rust out from under me!!

Thanks in advance.:explosion

Your not the black XJ with like 4.5 inches of lift in Kenmore Square are you? Because it sticks out quite a bit.

Do you guys realize this thread started over 2 years ago? Until aiiny resurrected it, the last post over 1 1/2 years ago.

Please try to be mindful of the posting dates.

Back