• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rough Country Flex-Joints worn

But dont you think rough country will eventually figure out a good way to fix these and replace them for us?

Looks like they are. if you look at mud's posts, he's received some prototype units. I'm sure when/if they become production you can try them out. I'm going for what i KNOW will work with the Curries. If RC upgrades, then I'll try to get some as well.

Re: Installed Currie Joints - Update

What i don't get is if there is a company out there that makes good quality joints, why don't you just work a deal with them and purchase them instead of experimenting and making your own.

Rokmen and Tomken both use Currie joints for this reason. For a flex joint, there's nothing better than the Currie piece, and there's no need to reinvent the wheel. Well, except for price, and look what happens here. :laugh:

Re: Installed Currie Joints - Update

Okay Update on my end. I purchased the Currie Joints and installed them yesterday in my Jeep. Note I've had my rough country kit for only about...40-50 miles. Upon taking out my arms I noticed my driver side lower and passenger side lower both had gotten loose already. The uppers seemed okay so far. I think if i tightened the joints more it would help, but not too certain. it appears the bushings deflected too much. I could hold the joints with my hands and move then back and forth in the direction of the control arms.

Installation of the currie joints was pretty straight forward except getting the bolts to align and go through. The Lower Currie Joint had enough shank to thread at least 2.5" into the long arm.

The Upper currie joint was a bit shorter. The one supplied from RC has 4.25" of thread. The one from Currie has 3.25. After getting things down I had 1.75 of thread exposed. So in the end I have enough engagement, but a bit more would have been nice.

I went for a test drive and things do feel tighter on-road. it's possible the loose joints were responsible for my wander i had initially which i thought was due to bad caster. What i don't get is if there is a company out there that makes good quality joints, why don't you just work a deal with them and purchase them instead of experimenting and making your own.
Maybe I missed it but do you have long or short arms? I am asking because I have short arms and was concerned the upper joints weren't long enough.

WestValleyXJ - I have the rough country Long Arm Kit. You should be fine. It's not really advisable to have that much thread exposed on the thread anyway. Not sure if any of the RC applications requires that it uses all of its 4.25" of thread.

Well I have put about 600 miles on the new Johnny Joints and romped on it real good at the Broken Arrow trail in Sedona and they are waaaaaaay better than the RC's joints. Man am I glad I put these in. Everything is so much tighter. Anyone with a RC Flex Joint kit must get johnny joints to replace the ones that come with the kit.

Zo6elmo, where you able to use the existing bolts from the la kit to secure the new joints or did you have to get different bolts and nuts?

I got new grade 8 bolts for the new joints. The ones supposed from RC were like 4" long and the nut wouldn't thread on completely. They use locking nuts with the nylon or something at the top of the nut but that area would not get threaded because the bolts were too short. I ended up getting 4.5" grade 8 bolts and used a nut with locktite. I figured new bolts were in order since I removed those original bolts like 17 times trying to fix the joint issues lol.

Mine seem to have the same issue you guys are describing. The 2 upper control arm flex joints are shot. :(

Did you guys just call and tell them they issue? They send out the replacements after?

thanks!

Mine seem to have the same issue you guys are describing. The 2 upper control arm flex joints are shot. :(

Did you guys just call and tell them they issue? They send out the replacements after?

thanks!

Yes, call and tell em the issue and they will ship you out new ones or rebuild kits. They will probably ask for information like where you ordered it or order number.

Yes, call and tell em the issue and they will ship you out new ones or rebuild kits. They will probably ask for information like where you ordered it or order number.

Well, i ordered them from a member here who use to work for them ( Grimmus ) and i hope i still have my paperwork somehwere. Ill give them a call later today.

Just curious as i have a RC lift on its way to me now... would it be possible to simply rebuild the RC joints with the Currie rebuild kit? seems like it would be much cheaper and easier especially if it is the bushing that is wearing out in the RC?

some one who has actually put their hands on both please let me know if this is possible... thanks

nick

I have rebuilt the RC short arms with curries Johnny joints for both upper and lower. I can tell you they at much better than the original 3 sets of bushings I recieved from RC. However, I have been told they are aware of this defect and are either in the process of fixing the issue, or already have.

Well, I thought my RC x-flex joints were failing, so i talked to RC and they sent me out 2 new lower arm joints with what they said was stiffer bushing material. Got the joints and they appeared to be the exact same thing I had just installed. I figured what the hell and got under the truck and removed my old joint. I pulled the old joint off and opened it up - no deformation in the bushing. So I decided to reassemble and regrease the joint and reinstall. Then me and my brother went through the suspension bolt by bolt and found loose stuff all over the place. Tightened everything down and suspension is super tight and smooth now.

Turns out I'm the a-hole. But, RC was super nice, sent me new joints pretty much no questions asked and now I have 2 spare joints.

i just ordered the x flex 4.5 kit and i have had tons of noise. but what i am wondering is that when i built the upper joints i was able to get that threaded lid for the joint like really tight but for the lower arms i wasnt able to get them that tight compared to the tops but i tried and they were supposedly so tight that when i tried to tighten the lowers i broke the spanner wrench bolts haha and i am getting a clunk from the front end. so i ordered johnny joints last night 183.00 dollars hopefully that fixexs that clunking noise.

ok so i just got my johnny joints in the mail but the shank on them seem a lot shorter than the ones that came from RC is that ok?

Back