• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rough Country Flex-Joints worn

Mud - can you be more descriptive? What did it include? Can you take a picture?

Mud - can you be more descriptive? What did it include? Can you take a picture?

All I can say is it's a prototype. Prototypes are usually kept secret until released or announced by the company so I'd rather keep my mouth shut about it lol. I'll ask Jeffrey if there's any issue with sharing it.

edit: i asked and was told to keep quiet about it. Sorry dude, gotta wait and see.

Last edited:
lol - total tease!

I'll take the answer as they haven't found a solution yet. It being prototyped means it's not tried and true and tested. It's good that they are being proactive. The joints I'm sure are used on other kits for other trucks, so it's important they solve this sooner than later.

All I can say is it's a prototype. Prototypes are usually kept secret until released or announced by the company so I'd rather keep my mouth shut about it lol. I'll ask Jeffrey if there's any issue with sharing it.

edit: i asked and was told to keep quiet about it. Sorry dude, gotta wait and see.

If this is a prototype. It would have been clear that you can not share. And I doubt anyone would have these.

I think what he's talking about are these.
DSC04909.jpg

If not then I would like to know what RC has in the works.

That's what I have, eight of them to be exact lol (anyone need any? LOL). The black bushings are what keeps failing, and no that's not what I got today.

That's what I have, eight of them to be exact lol (anyone need any? LOL). The black bushings are what keeps failing, and no that's not what I got today.

When you say 'failing' what exactly are you looking for in the joint/bushings that indicates that it's bad? I'm need to inspect one of mine and I'm just curious what im looking for

When you say 'failing' what exactly are you looking for in the joint/bushings that indicates that it's bad? I'm need to inspect one of mine and I'm just curious what im looking for

It's the material of the bushing I assume that allows it to stretch/expand and lose it's tightness. Pop the crossmember end of the arm off and stick a screwdriver in the ball hole and see if it's very loose. I could wiggle mine with my fingers. You can also put a pry bar behind the joint and pry it forward. If it's bad, it will clunk like this:

(click for vids)

I see. I can take my driver side LCA with the jeep on the ground and move the arm side to side. I assume that means the joint has failed?

Installed Currie Joints - Update

Okay Update on my end. I purchased the Currie Joints and installed them yesterday in my Jeep. Note I've had my rough country kit for only about...40-50 miles. Upon taking out my arms I noticed my driver side lower and passenger side lower both had gotten loose already. The uppers seemed okay so far. I think if i tightened the joints more it would help, but not too certain. it appears the bushings deflected too much. I could hold the joints with my hands and move then back and forth in the direction of the control arms.

Installation of the currie joints was pretty straight forward except getting the bolts to align and go through. The Lower Currie Joint had enough shank to thread at least 2.5" into the long arm.

The Upper currie joint was a bit shorter. The one supplied from RC has 4.25" of thread. The one from Currie has 3.25. After getting things down I had 1.75 of thread exposed. So in the end I have enough engagement, but a bit more would have been nice.

I went for a test drive and things do feel tighter on-road. it's possible the loose joints were responsible for my wander i had initially which i thought was due to bad caster. What i don't get is if there is a company out there that makes good quality joints, why don't you just work a deal with them and purchase them instead of experimenting and making your own.

Last edited:
Re: Installed Currie Joints - Update

Thanks for the update. I ordered lower currie joints today. :) Mind if I ask how long it took to ship and receive your joints?

Currie told me they kept the upper arm shank shorter because the diameter of the shank is not thick enough to use 4" worth of shank. RC uses LONG shanks but you will rarely ever need that much anyways.

Okay Update on my end. I purchased the Currie Joints and installed them yesterday in my Jeep. Note I've had my rough country kit for only about...40-50 miles. Upon taking out my arms I noticed my driver side lower and passenger side lower both had gotten loose already. The uppers seemed okay so far. I think if i tightened the joints more it would help, but not too certain. it appears the bushings deflected too much. I could hold the joints with my hands and move then back and forth in the direction of the control arms.

Installation of the currie joints was pretty straight forward except getting the bolts to align and go through. The Lower Currie Joint had enough shank to thread at least 2.5" into the long arm.

The Upper currie joint was a bit shorter. The one supplied from RC has 4.25" of thread. The one from Currie has 3.25. After getting things down I had 1.75 of thread exposed. So in the end I have enough engagement, but a bit more would have been nice.

I went for a test drive and things do feel tighter on-road. it's possible the loose joints were responsible for my wander i had initially which i thought was due to bad caster.

I went for a test drive and things do feel tighter on-road. it's possible the loose joints were responsible for my wander i had initially which i thought was due to bad caster. What i don't get is if there is a company out there that makes good quality joints, why don't you just work a deal with them and purchase them instead of experimenting and making your own.

Can you send me the link on where I can find the currie joints for future reference? Im assuming the lowers are the ones being a problem.

WOW! I just called them Friday the 20th and they said they weren't shipping the uppers yet. I called them Monday the 23rd and they just began shipping, I must of got some misinformation. Anyways i ordered them too and hope to see better results.

http://www.currieenterprises.com/ces...t.aspx?id=1262
http://www.currieenterprises.com/ces...9.aspx?id=2629

that's what you want - it was posted on the 1st page. I'd buy both upper and lowers. The lowers fail but from reading so do the upperrs, just a bit later since they don't take as much load.

Mud - I'm in california so it got to me relatively quickly. I ordered them on Monday last week and received them on Thursday. Makes sense on the upper. I know rule is 1.5x of the diameter of the shank and i have more than that, and still some adjustability.

Back