• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rock Krawler X Factor Steering UPDATE

I am also running the RK steering. I was just curious as to what you did with the sway bar mounts in the axle? Did you hack them off, if so...how does it handle?

BTW, I love the camo rockers, sets the whole truck of perfectly

CopperTop

Russ Pottenger said:
Boomhauer,
Sorry were getting a bit off topic with the flares, but I agree with you and going through a similar dilemma on what to do with the latest Rusty's flexy flair design that I have.
If you wouldn't mind, could you shoot me off some pic's also. Looks like you did what I was wanting to do.
Also PM me if you find the source of the manufacture of them, and the trim they use with them.

Thanks in advance,
Russ

[email protected]

Sure man, will do, just gotta find the name of the manufacturer, going through my paperwork. -B

CopperTop said:
I am also running the RK steering. I was just curious as to what you did with the sway bar mounts in the axle? Did you hack them off, if so...how does it handle?

BTW, I love the camo rockers, sets the whole truck of perfectly

CopperTop

Thanks for the props!
I had to cut off the passenger side, which was mandatory no matter which way i mounted the system. With no steering stabilizer and no swaybar it handles unreal, the stabilizer just tightens the steering wheel up a bit. A major improvement.
How do you like yours the RK specified way? Do you find the turning radius suffers dramatically? Also does your disco hit the draglink turning right? Mine did. -B

boomhauer said:
Thanks for the props!
I had to cut off the passenger side, which was mandatory no matter which way i mounted the system. With no steering stabilizer and no swaybar it handles unreal, the stabilizer just tightens the steering wheel up a bit. A major improvement.
How do you like yours the RK specified way? Do you find the turning radius suffers dramatically? Also does your disco hit the draglink turning right? Mine did. -B

Yes mine does hit, But I can honestly say I love the way it handles...Steering very tight and predictable. I may try going disco'd for a while before I cut the brackets off. My wife does occasionaly drive it with my daughter so they're safety is my priority.

CopperTop said:
Yes mine does hit, But I can honestly say I love the way it handles...Steering very tight and predictable. I may try going disco'd for a while before I cut the brackets off. My wife does occasionaly drive it with my daughter so they're safety is my priority.

I know thats way I have to get mine back on, scares the shit out of the girl when she drives it.

CopperTop said:

Yeah, i'll be looking to get my swaybar back in the mix at some point. I'll fab up some new mounts and whatnot. Anyone know if the swaybar is solid or hollow? -B

The swaybar is solid spring steel,do not weld on it!

Sorry to hijack the thread but with the RK OTK setup do you need to cut the coil buckets like some of the other OTK setups? I know the sway bar brackets will be in the way but i don't run sway bars so that won't be a problem.

reelbigdundy87 said:
Sorry to hijack the thread but with the RK OTK setup do you need to cut the coil buckets like some of the other OTK setups? I know the sway bar brackets will be in the way but i don't run sway bars so that won't be a problem.

No coil bucket cutting required. -B

Just as a side note, i removed the steering stabilizer, had an alignment and it's perfect. No bumpsteer, and believe me i tried! lol This setup works great with tierod (bullbar) under the knuckle, draglink on top and my T&T trackbar and no swaybar. -B

well since my rugged ridge was no good at six now the toss up is x factor, or jcr otk. Seems like to do it right and not modify the way to go is jcr.

dellstopjeep said:
well since my rugged ridge was no good at six now the toss up is x factor, or jcr otk. Seems like to do it right and not modify the way to go is jcr.

did you put mis alignment spacers in? I did on mine at 5.5" and its way better with less play in the steering wheel. If your interested i have two jcr spacers you can have for 10 bucks shipped...

FWIW, i looked into this a while back and i'll be going with the JCR OTK kit.
you still have to cut a bit off the axle and do some mods to make the jcr kit work and run a poly spacer on the passenger side tre but it's a true OTK setup with replaceable tre's that can be bought at local parts stores. plus, jcr is always good stuff imo...

BADaXJ said:
FWIW, i looked into this a while back and i'll be going with the JCR OTK kit.
you still have to cut a bit off the axle and do some mods to make the jcr kit work and run a poly spacer on the passenger side tre but it's a true OTK setup with replaceable tre's that can be bought at local parts stores. plus, jcr is always good stuff imo...

you still have to run the spacer otk as well huh?

i am running a spacer in there, made it streetable and freewayable but still not somethin im satisfied with for something that wont be trailered ever in its life......hopefully.

well, the angles are much better and its less pronounced OTK but it is esentially the same linkage so the "roll" is still there... sounds like you are less than satisfied with yours... are you sure the spacer is tight and the TRE isn't bottomed out in the knuckle? i've also heard cutting the spacer down helps out. how much lift are you running?

Just put the RK steering on, got it on quicker than my buddy could do the brakes, ran draglink and connecting rod OTK, angles are B A utiful. drove about 70 miles home with a rouch tape measure alignment and no stabilizer and no issues at all, so nice to be driving her again, its like our second honeymoon

You running a drop pitman? If so going back to a stock pitman should get those angles parallel again. Or if it is stock you can find some pitman arms that have less of a drop than stock.

Back