• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Right to Left Coast Tour, June 2010.

I'd continue west from Roswell/White Sands through AZ and into SoCal directly.. be less time/mileage than running up to CDC/GC and back down. See that area when you head east and through Zion.

I'd continue west from Roswell/White Sands through AZ and into SoCal directly.. be less time/mileage than running up to CDC/GC and back down. See that area when you head east and through Zion.

the reason for heading through north az is simply the grand canyon, i could personally skip it, but the others would like to go so i'm not going to object.

i hear it's grand, but much like canyonlands natl park (which i have been to) just more tourists.

perhaps the north rim when we are taking the north route back would be easier on us?

i hear the south rim is the more touristy area

81 to 40 is a nice drive. 40 is not bad, but Arkansas and Tenn are quite boring. I just did the same drive from the N.E. to Albuquerque a few weeks ago. It is great once ya hit NM and the speed limit goes up.

i figured much of it would be like that. or you get stuck behind some family in a station wagon doing 20 mph.

anyway the route has somewhat changed since this thread was first made.

way west:

81 south from pa to knoxville
40 west to amarillo texas
route 60 to 70 to get to roswell
south on 285 to carlsbad caverns
82 to white sands
then 25 north to I-40 again
cutting off to canyon de chelly
back on I-40
cutting off to the grand canyon
back on I-40 into socal where we will relax for a few days, pismo beach, some of the pch.

heading back east:
hop on 15 through vegas to zion until we hit 70.
next stop moab until we hit colorado

then some stuff happens in colorado, we still need to figure out our route through there and make sure the trails are open. but ultimately we will end up back on 70 and take that home.

good to hear. depending on the time we make, we may get on 10 in NM and take it straight into socal. might hit the north rim of the grand canyon on the way back east, and track down to canyon de chelly as well.

we met a couple friendly people in rhode island over the weekend that used to/ currently live on the route we are taking and were reccomended a few places to check out.

If anyone can reccomend some nice restaurants or bars along the route that would be excellent as well. there will be many pb&j dinners, but some nice meals cooked for us are always nice.

Any idea where you'll be staying when you're in SoCal?

we are meeting a friend in la and trucking his ass back to new england (he is currently in new zealand) so we plan on spending a couple days there just relaxing. and plans are heading north a bit to pismo and possibly hollister. seeing as we have a set time to be back home, we might have to cut some things out of the trip due to time complications granted something happens along the way. so there will probably be a lot of "playing it by ear" so to speak

we are meeting a friend in la and trucking his ass back to new england (he is currently in new zealand) so we plan on spending a couple days there just relaxing. and plans are heading north a bit to pismo and possibly hollister. seeing as we have a set time to be back home, we might have to cut some things out of the trip due to time complications granted something happens along the way. so there will probably be a lot of "playing it by ear" so to speak

we're not taking him back actually, hes gonna fly back. his g/f is all crazy about not seeing him since january so hes gonna see her sooner than later she she doesnt kill him.

his aunt lives in seal beach, so we'll probably be staying there for a night at least.

Driving to California from the east coast and you're thinking Pismo and Hollister?

:rof::rof::rof:

tis where we had people offer to show us around. personally i can pass on those.

we have concluded that the rubicon is too far out of the way
jv is a pile of rocks in the desert

hollister looks like a man-made playground
pismo actually looks like a fun time and is not at all out of our way.

If anyone can reccomend some good trails in socal where a xj on 33's and one locker isnt going to explode enlighten us.

Looking forward to utah and once we hit colorado we will see what passes are open by then.

If anyone can reccomend some good trails in socal where a xj on 33's and one locker isnt going to explode enlighten us.

Looking forward to utah and once we hit colorado we will see what passes are open by then.

explode? nah.

i dont baby my rig, but i'm not gonna flog it 3000 miles from home either.

im driving back to NY on tuesday :-(

sounds like fun! make sure your cooling system is above par!

im driving back to NY on tuesday :-(

sounds like fun! make sure your cooling system is above par!

aww man. and yea, mines pretty good. i'm gonna add some water wetter to it before the trip, that stuff is legit. all my cooling stuff is fairly new- pretty much replaced it all since i've owned the truck the past 4 years.

Swamp Lake trail or Bald Mountain, east of Fresno. Swamp might not be open yet. Bald is a good time and is real Sierra wheeling. Have you tried posting up in the local chapters?

Swamp Lake trail or Bald Mountain, east of Fresno. Swamp might not be open yet. Bald is a good time and is real Sierra wheeling. Have you tried posting up in the local chapters?

We're gonna pretty soon, we were gonna wait til the dates got closer, but its coming up real fast!

as of now, it looks like we'll run up california through death valley

Death Valley? In June?? :wow::flame::flame::flame:

I'm just asking because I don't know you, have you ever been out to the desert?

Last edited:
Back