• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rear disc brake conversion

One thing to note, most people paint their junkyard stuff, DO NOT PAINT ANY OF THE AREAS that bolt together, the paint will a a few thousanths of an inch and eventually will work the entire assembly loose. which you do not want. so both mating surfaces on backing plate the back side of the caliper brackets and at least under the bolt holes on the front. if you paint these surfaces you will end up with loose brake assemblies down the road

twisted_ed said:
One thing to note, most people paint their junkyard stuff, DO NOT PAINT ANY OF THE AREAS that bolt together, the paint will a a few thousanths of an inch and eventually will work the entire assembly loose. which you do not want. so both mating surfaces on backing plate the back side of the caliper brackets and at least under the bolt holes on the front. if you paint these surfaces you will end up with loose brake assemblies down the road

crap. I did not know this. Even with locktite on the bolts?

Ben H said:
The calipers also serve as an axle retainer (safety from dropping a c-clip).

thats a really good point that I never thought about.

I picked up some ZJ disks backing plates and calipers. Does anyone have the part number for the e brake cable adapters (Lokar?)

djblade311 said:

I picked up some ZJ disks backing plates and calipers. Does anyone have the part number for the e brake cable adapters (Lokar?)

Before you pay big bucks, consider these possibilities.
ZJ cables, they are short, but can be extended. I made a couple of short 6" cables with slugs on both ends (3/16" cable I think) and used GM style cable connectors to attach to the original cables. The housings are still a bit short but OK if you route them over the leaf springs and use the existing cable springs to keep them from touching.
The original cable. The end does not fit the lever but, I never tried this, I think that a GM style connector that has one end straightegned and welded will fit and work with both ends.
I was looking at some Fords, their parking cable has the same square end as the ZJ. I wonder if it is possible to use Explorer cables on a ZJ conversion.
I agree with a previous post that the drums are dangerous, just the other day I borrowed my son's XJ, only to find that the pedal had gone to hell due to the rears not adjusting automatically. I lubed and cleaned the adjusters and I think I'm waisting my time with the POS.
I don't mind doing the conversion, I just hate chasing parts.
The above assumes that one might want to buy complete cable assemblies.
You mentioned a Lokar adapter, what is it?

Last edited:
djblade311 said:

Josh, on that link http://lokar.com/interior_pages/ecables_concables.htm

It's the ones in the very bottom left corner. I got these on someone's recommendation. They fit perfectly over the lever that protrudes from the backing plate.

You have to cut a slot on one side so that you can slip the cable in. Then you can use a long-side YJ cable (BTW, we're talking about 97+ models).

I haven't installed mine yet. But I was just told today that a KJ cable will work as it already has the loop built into the end of the cable. And it is plenty long enough.

xjohnnyc said:
Josh, on that link http://lokar.com/interior_pages/ecables_concables.htm

It's the ones in the very bottom left corner. I got these on someone's recommendation. They fit perfectly over the lever that protrudes from the backing plate.

You have to cut a slot on one side so that you can slip the cable in. Then you can use a long-side YJ cable (BTW, we're talking about 97+ models).

I haven't installed mine yet. But I was just told today that a KJ cable will work as it already has the loop built into the end of the cable. And it is plenty long enough.

Kinda disapointed that you have to cut a slot to hook up the cable, what were they thinking?
Here is something I was planning to use but never got around to it.
I think that with the original cables it would have worked.
One picture shows what they look like in the beginning and the next, after you straighten one side and weld up the slot. I was planning to trim and clean it up a bit.
I think it would work with the original cables routed over the leaf springs.
http://www.members.cox.net/sailman2/con1.jpg
http://www.members.cox.net/sailman2/conn.jpg
What do you think?

falcon556 said:
Kinda disapointed that you have to cut a slot to hook up the cable, what were they thinking?

probably that a custom wire would be fed through then capped with those...

Thanks johnny for the good info!

In this particular writeup, the owner used a clamp that looks a little like a swage, but is compressed with nuts instead of a tool ... and then just looped the cable over the lever.

Probably not ideal from a wear/safety standpoint, but if you've got an auto tranny, you probably use the brake a couple times a year - could also put a thimble like such on it to protect the wire if you felt like it.

Anyone recognize that type of fitting? It looks like the sort of thing Ace or even Home Depot would carry, but just in browsing I haven't been able to locate one yet.

i wanted to add, if you were like me and having trouble finding ZJ calipers locally........1995-2001 exploder rear calipers are identical, 1996-1997 crown vic rears are as well, i see these on ebay quite often for very cheap

the pads are different, just an fyi if you get loaded calipers off ebay (or, at least they were on the CV caliper i bought)..........of course the simple fix: buy new ZJ pads

i'm actually using one '94 zj caliper and one '97 crown vic caliper on my swap

I used thos cable clamps as well. The local Tru Value has a whole big selection of them and they are just cable clamps. Except, I did not use the bottom part of the clamps, I used the u bolt part and made a small bottom plate with two holes out of sheet aluminum to hold the cable to the hook (just before the ball at the end of the cable) This way, I did not have to bend the cable at all. I know, I know, this explanation is worthless without pics.

BTW, yes the calipers and pads are the same size as the Ford 8.8 brakes but the backing plates (brackets) are different as are the rotors (slightly).

Fred85 said:
i wanted to add, if you were like me and having trouble finding ZJ calipers locally........1995-2001 exploder rear calipers are identical, 1996-1997 crown vic rears are as well, i see these on ebay quite often for very cheap

the pads are different, just an fyi if you get loaded calipers off ebay (or, at least they were on the CV caliper i bought)..........of course the simple fix: buy new ZJ pads

i'm actually using one '94 zj caliper and one '97 crown vic caliper on my swap

I just got two reman ZJ calipers from a parts store for about $30 each. I had two used ones, but they were in sad shape.

^i got both calipers off ebay from the same company for $30 shipped

one was brand new, and the other was a reman.............both came loaded

djblade311 said:
probably that a custom wire would be fed through then capped with those...

Thanks johnny for the good info!
Yep, their cables are cut to fit with a bead welded on one end. You feed the other end through. Anyways, someone PM me if you need these Lokar adapters, slot cut already...

ebrake1.jpg

bought a set of rear disc brakes from jwjeep.com $260 delivered. great customer service, The only thing was one rubber hose had a leak, but that is luck of draw.

Back