• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear Bumper Thread...

It will hold once its braced, gusseted and with the 1 5/8" pipe tied into the hitch...

Im done with the shell of the bumper: Still got to add gussets around the 2.5" square, brace the side quarter protector pieces, and add some 1.5" tube to tie into the hitch and frame around shackle box relocator im putting in...

100_0779.jpg
Side plates

100_0789.jpg

100_0794.jpg

And i still got to add a few filler pieces to angle in and up to the tail lights, which im goin to make some taillight boxes and put in 1 clear LED stop/tail/turn into.

Last edited:
Well I'm bringing this thread back to life. The bumper is done, but there are some things I want to go back and change. These include, and are not limited to:

- Adding some sort of bezel flat across the entire top (wear and tear from getting in/out the hatch)
- Removing all paint, coating, bedlining, whatever is on there now and starting with fresh paint IN A DRY ENVIRONMENT
- Hiding the sharp corners by the carrier spindle a little better
- Add gussets to the tire carrier lug pattern cutout.
- Relocate license plate to center of tire (w/ light)
- Add reverse lights to the swing carrier
- Round corners on the overall rectangular shape of the jeep (The corner where the sides meet the actual back piece)
- Add a zerk fitting the the spindle bearing. Manually greasing stuff sucks.
- And finally re-do the latch mechanism to something quicker/stronger

I started this project with the highest of ambitions, and I think towards the end started to neglect detail. This spring/summer as it dries up I'll go back and make sure that I'm going to be happy with the bumper for years to come...

Oh yea, here it sits now.

Update time: didn't get a ton done. The thunderstorms were moving in fast. But I figured out a lot of things. The left side is pretty much mock tacked together. I still have to work a few gaps and clearances out. It sucks though, I ran out of carbon steel after doing the passenger side, so now the entire drivers side is out of stainless. We'll see which side lasts longer :shhh: The trailer also got painted tonight.

P1010143.jpg

P1010141.jpg

P1010147.jpg

P1010139.jpg

About how wide is your bumper? There is a guy selling a bumper online but it didn't come off a jeep.

Cool, just trying to get an idea of what I need cause this guy has one that is already built but not for an xj, trying to save $$$$ if you know what i mean.

Bumping to add another bumper...

Using a 2" x 4" x 3/16" shoved 16" into the frame - that's all the further it would go?
100_1991.JPG

Cut to length and welded up...
100_2020.JPG

Working on the nutstrip - ultimately there are 5 bolts on the bottom, 2 on the sides and 4 in the back (all grade 8) holding it on...
100_1997.JPG

Starting the bumper...receiver tube and D-ring mounts (bought the D-ring mounts from Zach at A to Z...
100_2021.JPG

All welded up...in this pic you can see the slot I made to slightly bend the corners in to match the rear of Jeep...
100_2023.JPG

Working on the mounts. The 1.5" DOM is for a cage tie in. You can also see I welded some nuts to the plate. I did this so I can reverse the direction those mounting bolts go (along with upgrading them) so I can mount the bumper closer to the body. You can also see I have cut the 2" x 4" so there are 2 tabs sticking out. I will then slot the bumper for the tabs (insert Tab A into Slot A type of thing...)
100_2032.JPG

100_2036.JPG

100_2041.JPG

Here you can see the slots...
100_2043.JPG

Test fitting before welding it up...
100_2048.JPG

Here you can see the plug welds and you can see where I seam welded where the tabs/slots meet up...
100_2052.JPG

All welded up and ready for primer...
100_2055.JPG

You'll see I added a little tab to the back of the receiver tube - this is to prevent something from hitting the tank...
100_2058.JPG

Primered and installed - paint will come later...
100_2063.JPG

100_2065.JPG

Overall I couldn't be happier! Right now I'm in the middle of doing the cage and I'm glad I added those tubes; it makes fitting the cage a little easier!

Last edited:
looks well done! thanks for adding it to the bumper thread

Keep up the hard work! Its never easy building them...I spent a few weeks building mine, which is now in production with OR-Fab.

IMG_2146Dark.jpg

You all will notice my bumper on this thread. Over the corse of time I have noticed my swing out on my bumper has been flexing a lot. It even flexed to the point that it was hitting my gate when I went over bumps. I built the gate with 2X2 square tubing that was 1/8" thick and used 3/16" 2X1 tube for bracing. I was tryting to save on weight and that is why I did not go with 3/16" on the 2X2. So I went to town on the bumper and cut out the spindle and welded patches in it and choped up the swing out to salvadge the tire mount and outer spindle. I am going to rebuild the bumper a little different and beef it up with 3/16" in effort to eliminate flex. I may also through in some off the wall things. Pictures are comming soon. Any ideas for improvement will deffinatly be considered.

You all will notice my bumper on this thread. Over the corse of time I have noticed my swing out on my bumper has been flexing a lot. It even flexed to the point that it was hitting my gate when I went over bumps. I built the gate with 2X2 square tubing that was 1/8" thick and used 3/16" 2X1 tube for bracing. I was tryting to save on weight and that is why I did not go with 3/16" on the 2X2. So I went to town on the bumper and cut out the spindle and welded patches in it and choped up the swing out to salvadge the tire mount and outer spindle. I am going to rebuild the bumper a little different and beef it up with 3/16" in effort to eliminate flex. I may also through in some off the wall things. Pictures are comming soon. Any ideas for improvement will deffinatly be considered.

i also started experiencing the same thing, although it was never quite as extreme as yours. i think i am going to go the "swing down" route next time with some mounting points on the sides of the body. to me this is the only real solid solution. plus it makes getting the tire off easier since it is already on the ground so my wife can actually do it.

Ok, so I've read through all 12 pages of this thread between last night and this morning...
chris420 -- your photobucket account is dead, so I can't see any of your pics. :(

I like all the ideas thrown out, and the builds are great to follow.
Regarding the d-ring tabs -- do you mount them at the same point in the bumper where the rear supports joins up?
It's hard to explain what I'm asking...
The rear "frame rail tie-in" comes forward and gets welded to the body of the bumper. This seems like it would be a good place to insert the tabs through the face of the bumper and shove them into the center of the tie-in tube and it would be very strong.
It seems like the force would be applied more directly to the frame by doing it this way?

Ok, so I've read through all 12 pages of this thread between last night and this morning...
chris420 -- your photobucket account is dead, so I can't see any of your pics. :(

I like all the ideas thrown out, and the builds are great to follow.
Regarding the d-ring tabs -- do you mount them at the same point in the bumper where the rear supports joins up?
It's hard to explain what I'm asking...
The rear "frame rail tie-in" comes forward and gets welded to the body of the bumper. This seems like it would be a good place to insert the tabs through the face of the bumper and shove them into the center of the tie-in tube and it would be very strong.
It seems like the force would be applied more directly to the frame by doing it this way?

yes this is where you want them... optimally you want the D-ring tabs to go through the bumper and tie in as straight as possible to the frame tie ins. so basically the dring is mounted to the tie in and goes through the bumper.

Here is mine during the build, I dont have any of the finished product. The side guards have more support now that in the pics

The mounts
DSCN7138.jpg

DSCN7139.jpg

DSCN7136.jpg

DSCN7137.jpg

The D- ring tabs with a 1" hole
DSCN7215.jpg

The bumper
DSCN7213.jpg

DSCN7214.jpg

DSCN7216.jpg

DSCN7217.jpg

Like I said, this is about a week before it was actually finished. I will try to get some pics up of it finished soon.

Back