• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear Bumper Thread...

do you think that the mounts being so close together may have had something to do with the failure? it would seem that with them so close together that the whole carrier would wiggle more and cause more stress.

maybe it was a contributing factor as well?

it is a possibility, and if i were to do this whole design type again i would probably have done a few things different.

Did you have any support under the latch area? After I heard about them breaking I added a peice of angle iron to my bumper for the swing out to rest on when closed. I figured it would help support the weight from all hanging off the spindle.

yes it was supported under the latch: i had a block of HDPE that was between the swingout and the bumper to take load off

Good lord this thread is still around?! Lol, I sold the original bumper (still not 100% finished:( ) after wrecking my jeep like 3 years ago.

dude that sucks man!
i think this is a great thread for a sort of "go to" resource on rear bumpers

I started on my rear bumper this last week. I am going to cut out along the body line on the rear quarter panels and run the bumper all the way to the inside if the fender well.

I am building the rear to look similar to the front. Except its made from 2x5 by 3/16" square tube instead of 2x3 by 1/4". I will be going through the unibody as well as using the stock eight holes. I will be adding some weld on D rings soon to.

good looking bumpers! i like how tucked up and slim they are

Someone help me I have been looking for this bumper I found last night someone built it has a tire swing out or down.
I have been looking for close to 2 hours now and I can not find it again.
Thanks Travis

Someone help me I have been looking for this bumper I found last night someone built it has a tire swing out or down.
I have been looking for close to 2 hours now and I can not find it again.
Thanks Travis

if you give us more details then someone may be able to help

I know which one he's talking about, but unfortunately like him I have no idea where to start looking lol. If it's the one I'm thinking of, it's a tube carrier that could be opened from either side, as well as folded down away from the hatch. Real professional work, and pretty slick design.

Thanks you found it..........Now to make it!

Heres mine.

P1140491.jpg

P1140493.jpg

P1140495.jpg

P1140498.jpg

P1140499.jpg

From first hand experience, I would wager a guess that he parked too close to a bonfire. Ask me how I know lol

Glad to see this thread still kicking around! Lots of good ideas and projects in here.

Keeping the thread alive, haha
Wanted to post my DIY JCR bumper with mods
Basic JCR DIY Bumper:

Used 2x4, 3/16" thick, steel as a sleeve
Rivited the factory nut strips to the inside of the sleeve
Cut the factory hitch and welded it between the sleeves
Purchased spindle/tire ring from atoz fab

Back