• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Random thought: ATTN COLLEGE GRADS...Was college worth it?

I hated school so I dropped out of college when I was 20. I worked my ass off for a few years and never made much headway. I soon realized the merit of a college degree so I sucked it up and went back and got my bachelors in marketing. Now, I don't have to do manual labor anymore, make a hell of a lot more money, and actually like my job. It really sucked going back, but it was totally worth it.

Wow, this thread sucks. There are some real know it alls on here that think they know everything. :dunce:

detailbarn said:
this is funny reading this , I'm actually going back to school to get my associates degree in Business. The only reason I'm getting it is because it's required by all insurance company for damage appraisers which is my desired position. What's really irritating is they do not require a specific degree just a degree. I have all the specific certifications for this positions already but no one will hire me without the degree even though I know more then most of the current adjusters out there. Whats really funny is I currently run a power wash company and last year I made $75,000 for myself with that business, as a damage appraiser I'll never make more then $60,000 so I make more without the degree and by getting the degree I'll be over qualified for alot of positions. The only reason I'm doing the switch is because I have a bad back that can't keep up with the demands of physical labor, but I will be keeping the business running with a couple of employees and I plan to make $25,000 a year from it when I step away from the day to day, so with the planed $50,000 I'll make working for an insurance company I'll be back up to the $75,000 I'm currently at but I'll have two jobs. So I personally think a degree is relative to your needs and desires in life.

I'm an adjuster for Farmers, its a great job, I play with wrecked cars all day. Any questions about it feel free to ask.

80s degree in geology from U Wyoming did a stink in the AF, worked in finance for 4 years, have been in Fed LE for last 18, A degree opens doors. I needed it for my AF commission after that no one ever checked

As a teacher I didn't have much of a choice in the matter.

I am not happy with the pay scale of my field. I think it blows that at 6 years in my district, I have maxed out on our salary schedule. I make the same this year that I made last year (just under mid 30's). The only way I can move up is to get 15 hours. Each year my state assessment results are higher than they were with the previous years special education teacher and yet that asshat could be making more than me simply b/c he/she has more "education" (and I use that term loosely). I see a lot of sh!tty teachers that don't know how to reach/motivate students (special or not). I'm beginning to wonder if teachers shouldn't be held more accountable to a merit pay system.

Rant off.

riverfever said:
As a teacher I didn't have much of a choice in the matter.

I am not happy with the pay scale of my field. I think it blows that at 6 years in my district, I have maxed out on our salary schedule. I make the same this year that I made last year (just under mid 30's). The only way I can move up is to get 15 hours. Each year my state assessment results are higher than they were with the previous years special education teacher and yet that asshat could be making more than me simply b/c he/she has more "education" (and I use that term loosely). I see a lot of sh!tty teachers that don't know how to reach/motivate students (special or not). I'm beginning to wonder if teachers shouldn't be held more accountable to a merit pay system.

Rant off.

Just talk to a Florida teacher about merit pay and related stuff. Or the parents. Sounds good on paper, but not so much when you are on the ground.

Good teachers are worth good money. There's no doubt about it.

All well and good for all you old farts here, but take into acoXXXX the age of Olive.

Some of you farts that are espousing no education are from a completely different generation, and your reasoning/experience isnt quite as pertinent as you think.

30 and over need not apply.

My father has no degree, barely has his GED. Dropped out to fight in Vietnam, wandered the country for 17 years in a bus as a hippie, then taught himself computers, starting with a Tandy 3000 in 1982. Did quite well for himself. Now, I make more than he does after 25 years, and I've only been out of college for less than a year.

BS and BA are the new HS degrees and GEDs.

Fergie

Fergie said:
BS and BA are the new HS degrees and GEDs.

X2 billion

Many technical degrees such as Engineering are considering not allowing engineers to be eligible for professional licensure without a graduate degree. That means the BS in engineering would only get you in the door, no PE license till the Masters.

olivedrabcj7 said:
Im starting to see how doing something you like is the key to succeeding. If you dont like what you do, you probably wont do your best. Any thoughts?
It truly is the key as far as Im concerned. I have a degree in Animal Science (Biological Timing to be exact) I Love working with, and studying animals...BUT I enjoyed working on cars more...so here I am, 8 years later factory trained in VW, Audi, Mazda and soon to be Honda...I never have to worry about finding a job...I could move anywhere in the US and get a job in a day. Most importantly, I have fun at work, I work with a lot of sincerely good people (techs anyway, service writers and managers are the devil) the days go by fast and i still bring home a very liveable salary. wouldnt trade it for anything. Is getting your degree worth it? Yes. Education can never hurt even if it doesnt apply to your future career, just having a degree in anything looks good on a resume. thats my $.02

I have a BS in ME from a good school. I don't currently use it, my work is completly unrelated, I have my own small service business. I never even interviewed for an engineering job, come to think of it I have never officially interviewed for any job :) People have either offered me jobs or I made them up myself.

Still I would do it all the same again, college was a great experiance and I don't regret doing it or all the work. I sure am glad its over now though :)

Getting a degree in SOMETHING seems worth it -- but I know plenty of people who have managed without. I got my degree in Forestry simply because I figured 4 years in the woods would be a damn nice way to go through college -- and it was. In the end, I found that it doesnt really matter WHAT your degree is in (for many occupations) -- but rather just the fact that you have the fortitude to stick to the program. I am now getting my employer to pay for my MS -- which will hopefully make me more marketable for moving on to a better position.

It depends. (thats all I learned in college)

XJGrl

I got a bsba in 1995 in marketing. my current job does not require a degree. i'm glad i got it though, because most people i work with do not have a degree, and it gives me a little edge. but in my opinion a degree does not equate weather you do good in life or not. i think passion and good common sense in what you do goes alot farther in your career than a degree. (exceptions are med school, lawyer,cpa etc...)
also i have known some very educated people that could not think through real life situations. likewise i know some people with virtually no education who seem to have a real knowledge how the world works and how to get ahead and survive in the world.

guzzirider said:
80s degree in geology from U Wyoming did a stink in the AF, worked in finance for 4 years, have been in Fed LE for last 18, A degree opens doors. I needed it for my AF commission after that no one ever checked

Just finished my 4 (5) year Atmospheric Science degree from U-dub!... I'm now down at Keesler, AFB going to Weather Officer's Course. Working in the field that I have loved my whole life, worked my but off to get a degree in, and knowing that am doing quite well in (class ranking) is the best feeling in the world!

Get a degree from a good school in what you want to do. Do the research and go to the best school you can afford! While not necessary for success, with good planning and better advice (get a mentor!!!) a degree can make opportunities happen!

Griff

Back