• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Project "WTFWIT"

interior is officially done. I went back and forth on the switch panel I made and just did not care for how it looked after it was installed with the interior, so it came out and I flush mounted the reverse lights switch in the console and everything else is in stock switch locations. Jeremy was a tremendous help this evening and we even found out you can drink beer, make pizza rolls, drink beer, eat nachos, drink beer, have other drunk company show up, drink beer, hang out with the teenage (legal of course) neighbor girls, drink a few more beers and still put the interior and wiring back in an XJ at 1:45 in the morning.....and everything still worked after 3 months of sitting. Tomorrow will be tearing into the front axle......pics from this evening/mornings episodes will be posted at a later time...I need to pee...again.

interior is officially done. I went back and forth on the switch panel I made and just did not care for how it looked after it was installed with the interior, so it came out and I flush mounted the reverse lights switch in the console and everything else is in stock switch locations. Jeremy was a tremendous help this evening and we even found out you can drink beer, make pizza rolls, drink beer, eat nachos, drink beer, have other drunk company show up, drink beer, hang out with the teenage (legal of course) neighbor girls, drink a few more beers and still put the interior and wiring back in an XJ at 1:45 in the morning.....and everything still worked after 3 months of sitting. Tomorrow will be tearing into the front axle......pics from this evening/mornings episodes will be posted at a later time...I need to pee...again.

must have been the pizza rolls messing with his head :D

here are a few pics of last nights progress...just an interior put back in now that the cage and wiring is all done. Drank a few beers last night...did I mention that?

just a shot of the cargo area...

DSCN0033.jpg

pretty much the same shot w/ some jackass in the background
DSCN0034.jpg

DSCN0041.jpg

and one of the front cage fit and interior etc...
DSCN0042.jpg

Last edited:
Looking good, can't wait to see it in action in MO...
Father and I might have to ride with you/someone cause I'm sure you'll go places my 31s open/open won't be able to...

Looking pretty nice Tyler.

finally got the knuckles off this evening and everything ready for the new ball joints. I threw them in the freezer so they would press in easier when I get back from Brewfest on Sunday. I am going to get the knuckles cleaned up and bored out for the new 5/8" misalignment spacers. It is getting closer to being done..I can almost see light at the end of the tunnel!!

it probably is a train....this has turned into Project WTFTSL (What The F#*k Took So Long!) :D

OK, so I had a hell of a time, but got the new ball joints pressed in. The old ones were just shy of 300,000 miles...and STOCK!!! they were abit wore out to say the least.

DSCN0056.jpg

I also discovered my steering box spacer was pulverized, so rather then wait on one from JCR (due to time constraints w/ my upcoming Hannibal trip, not knocking them in any fashion) I just built my own in about 20 minutes. It is shiney black now, so it will make my steering faster!!

DSCN0055.jpg

I brought home the donor diff and am ready to rob the new knuckles off it to get a newer set of brakes on this thing. I am feeling like things are so close to being done, but yet soooooo far away! Hope to get a good chunk knocked out tomorrow as well.

Cheeseman-OUT!

got the donor knuckles off and the ends bored out to 5/8" for the new steering. I need to hit them with a wire wheel and shoot some paint on them while I have them off. I have the calipers that came with the donor axle out of a 99, but I dont have the bolts that hold the calipers on...so now I have to run 4 of those down somewhere. I should have the new knuckles on tomorrow evening and the steering linkage measured one last time and ready to be cut. I am hoping tha after Sundays M&G in Des Moines I should have the rest of the parts to tie this thing up Sunday evening. I am down to less then a week and a half before the Hannibal Rocks run.....

Cheese "wondering what was overlooked and will break" Man

knuckle are on, shafts and brakes are all in and accounted for. need to bleed the brakes and that should tie that all up. I will get the resivoir today and get the PS pump reassembled and install the AGR box and that will have everything about tied up. I need to cut off the stock swaybar link mounts for the OTK steering to clear. Might actually get this thing out of the shop under its own power this week,,,,,,,,

Last edited:
got the swaybar mounts cut off the axle tonight and have the tie rod cut and mocked into place...I sure as hell hope I calculated right. Having a minor rubbing issue at full lock on the mount where the factory steering dampner was, but have cut and grinded it to an acceptable amount. JR is coming over tomorrow after work and we are hoping to get the steering box and power steering pump installed. Other then that it is completing the drag link and charging the battery. Holy chit, I think this project might be closing in...for now. :D

AGR steering box is in, power steering pump and resi are in and plumbed. I took the time to install the padding on the cage in the critical "head bump" areas. Just need to complete the drag link tomorrow and bleed the brakes and it should be ready to pull out of the shop. Been a long shitty day.......

SO you covered your diamond plate floor back up with Carpet?

Love what you did with the Rockers that is initially what I was trying to get someone to do for mine prior to Brianho's Rocker skin.

Looking good, and I love the rear floor I may have to do that with mine, minus the carpet.

Thanks man. I still like the clean interior and the carpet helps with heat transfer/insulation. I can get you a rear cargo area plate cut out for cheap (A $75 or less). Could possibly haul to you by next winterfest if your ready for one by then.

Back