• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Project: Rusty Nail

Completed the other side coil bucket last night and started painting the last of my odds and ends.. not alot to show
d831c09a.jpg

9a0f9034.jpg

Not to be a nitpicker, but you're like my brother: you paint over everything in sight.

Did you paint over the seal surface on the axleshafts? That's a great way to ruin the seals in a hurry. They're machined for a reason.

haha I do admit on painting everything I come in contact with but! this time I thought it through a little more than normal I taped the machined surfaces :D

Haven't gotten to much more done, Got my axle sleeves welded in, and started fabbing up my steering, and just waiting on my reamer and OTK track bar mount to move forward...

Not much to report really... got the front finally completed (minus trac bar mount of OTK steering setup)

27003df6.jpg

(I know it's UTK there it was more of just a picture reference.)

Did your axle sleeve install just slide right in, or was there still some force involved to get them all the way in? Are they are just plug welded in a few spots as well as welded at the "C"?

Did your axle sleeve install just slide right in, or was there still some force involved to get them all the way in? Are they are just plug welded in a few spots as well as welded at the "C"?

I had to machine the sleeve to 1.980 then took some mild tapping with a deadblow hammer to get them exactly where I wanted them to be. And yes the long side had 5 plug welds and the outer C was welded then got a buddy to TIG the inners so I didn't get spatter all on the machined surface where the seal gets pressed in. On the short side it was 2 plugs and welded on both ends as well.

Started on my highsteer lately I've been focusing more on my 1-ton build lately so Kirby has been taking a back seat alot. But we had some warm days and ran out of fun things to do to my big jeep so back at it.

Well I reamed out my knuckles to the correct OTK 1-ton taper, welded up my tubing adapters got everything in and found a problem....
1897f54f.jpg

I found out at full lock the steering hits the coil buckets,
6eaf2daa.jpg

so I trimmed about 1/4 off the front of the buckets and now it's hitting the diff cover...
f9afaa2d.jpg

I'm thinking about cutting out a bit and then notching the cover so I can get lock to lock without any problems.

Last edited:
What size DOM are you using for steering? Seems like all the more reason to go just tap the rods... what a PITA, build is looking GREAT though

What size DOM are you using for steering? Seems like all the more reason to go just tap the rods... what a PITA, build is looking GREAT though

It's 1.5x.250 wall yea it was a pain but it's pretty good now so I'll just leave it like that until I see it's a real problem.

Some updates with with nice weather over the weekend :D

Got the rear floor in FINALLY it doesn't look like much but it was a complete pain to get that sucker in one big sheet.
0f9e44d3.jpg

Made a small gusset to help the side of the jeep actually be supported...
002e5403.jpg

I also cut away the back side of where that gusset and I'm going to rebuild this whole corner with 1/8 plate and incorporate it into my shackle box to really tie everything in.
182bfe18.jpg

Also started with my LONG task of welding in all my stiffeners, I decided to go complete front to back along with shackle boxes. *Note don't wear t-shirts welding you WILL get a sunburn via welder haha
834ded18.jpg

IMG_8266_0038.jpg

So nice to see this floor coated and ready for use finally
IMG_8267_0039.jpg

Also got my trac bar bracket mounted... you guys think this is mounted to far on an angle? (i'll take more detailed pics tomorrow)
54aae2fa.jpg

Last edited:
30e9e256.jpg

How that shackle angle? I had it in the hole forward but it was to much on full stuff my super sweet stock new shackle were binding on the box

[pic deleted]

How that shackle angle? I had it in the hole forward but it was to much on full stuff my super sweet stock new shackle were binding on the box
I have heard (and it makes sense) that you want 45* to the shackle so you would want to move it at least one hole forward. That angle still looks a bit steep at probably around 85* to the shackle. If you are hitting the relocation box why dont you just trim it after you decide on your final set-up?

I have had this same relo bracket setup sitting in the corner of my room (*looks over shoulder* yup it's still there.. no one has dared throw it out yet :laugh3:) I want to install it but I need to wait and see how much sag I get when I plate my unibody and do my high clearance rockers. I am sitting at maybe 4-4.5" (tops) lift in the rear now and I wanted to keep it at 3.5-4". My new rear axle gave me a bit of lift which I didn't anticipate. I don't want to add any more lift for the time being so I am saving them as a last addition once I get everything set up properly. Then these get installed when I need to get a bit more height in the rear to make up for weight/sag.

nice build, good to see some behind the scenes work of the guy that built the axles im running :D

I have heard (and it makes sense) that you want 45* to the shackle so you would want to move it at least one hole forward. That angle still looks a bit steep at probably around 85* to the shackle. If you are hitting the relocation box why dont you just trim it after you decide on your final set-up?

I have had this same relo bracket setup sitting in the corner of my room (*looks over shoulder* yup it's still there.. no one has dared throw it out yet :laugh3:) I want to install it but I need to wait and see how much sag I get when I plate my unibody and do my high clearance rockers. I am sitting at maybe 4-4.5" (tops) lift in the rear now and I wanted to keep it at 3.5-4". My new rear axle gave me a bit of lift which I didn't anticipate. I don't want to add any more lift for the time being so I am saving them as a last addition once I get everything set up properly. Then these get installed when I need to get a bit more height in the rear to make up for weight/sag.

That's what I've heard is 45* as well, and I thought about cutting away the chuck O bracket I don't need but I want to be able to change this up if my girlfriend wants to build this up more being a stretched a little adding more lift changed axles so fourth so I don't want to give myself problems in the future... also I might just do a lift shackle but I don't want it being much taller it's alright at about 4" and that's more than enough. I'm just going to wait till I throw the fuel tank in more steel and such to see where it really ends up until I move it again I think.

nice build, good to see some behind the scenes work of the guy that built the axles im running :D

Haha thanks, glad those went to a good home! They'll be good for anything you do with them but the Red jeep kind of out grew them, plus they wont turn 42's all that well :)

Some more progress.....

I wish there was always this much room
engine_0003.jpg

Goodbye belt driven fan :D
engine_0001-2.jpg

This has clearly sat for way to long to get nasty deposits like this
engine_0002.jpg

And of course the steering box from hell. Nothing I did to this would pursued it to give me my pitman arm back
engine_0005.jpg

And it's nice to see the pile of parts slowly going down....
engine_0004.jpg

I would like to first thank all the guys in my club for coming out and giving me a hand on sunday. They really helped out and took care of weeks worth of dirty work I wont have to do now :D

IMG_8328_0015.jpg

IMG_8329_0016.jpg

We finally got it under its own weight again!!!! It's been a long time since it's been like that.
IMG_8333_0009.jpg

after the crowd subsided and decided to take a stab at finishing up my steering. I chose to do OTK like I said but, I'm using a WJ pitman arm to tuck my steering an extra 1.5" up higher. So I welded an adapter on one side and measured where I toss the other on.
IMG_8330_0006.jpg

Then cut accordingly
IMG_8331_0007.jpg

The nice thing with order the Ballistic OTK kit is that I got two 51" lengths of 1.5x.250 DOM so with the extra DOM I made a tracbar
IMG_8332_0008.jpg

I did run into two problems however..... one is I'm going to have to make my own frame side trac bar mount because I need one that sits around 3.75" down from the unibody, with the new RE one I ordered it sits about 6" which will give me bump steer like mad. I'm thinking about going with the Ballistic fab weld on panhard bar mount.

Problem number 2: I think my axle side trac-bar mount is sitting way to high as well. what is some of your opinions?
IMG_8336_0012.jpg

Also took the time and finished up bracing my relocation boxes.. not the prettiest but it sure wont be going anywhere.
IMG_8334_0010.jpg

IMG_8335_0011.jpg

And what still lies ahead for me...
IMG_8337_0013.jpg

I would like to first thank all the guys in my club for coming out and giving me a hand on sunday. They really helped out and took care of weeks worth of dirty work I wont have to do now :D

IMG_8328_0015.jpg

IMG_8329_0016.jpg

I need friends like that!! Lookin good man, can't wait to see it hittin the trails. :D

Thanks and yes I did, Sorry I forgot all about that. I'll get you some today!

Thanks man :sunshine: Your profile picture looks awesome! They dont have to be like new pics, I just havent been able to find any fullsized ones or a build thread

EDIT: wow I am dumb...just found your build thread. But I cant like post or view all of it :(. So more pics would be great haha.

Last edited:
Jeep looks great.
Was looking at getting either the rusty's or ballistic spring mounts. You strong support of Ballistic's products has pushed to get them. Keep up the good work.
Subscribed.

Back