• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Project: Rusty Nail

Well last night I attacked my rear floor, finish the fuel filler tunnel, outside sheetmetal bits, and took on my tracbar. I'm using a 2.63 Ballistic joint up top at the frame mount so I had to really modify the RE one I think I did an efficient job at it but when I post the pics I'll let you guys decide... My to do list left at the moment.

Finish trac-bar
Plumb fuel lines
Plumb brake lines
Finish passenger rocker and floor
Put front clip back on
Finish up cooling system
Install front locker
Install interior and E-brake
Clean up and bevel leaf packs
Paint

I think that's it for now. I hope....

It's been awhile since I've updated this so here you go! Since I'll be driving this at nacfest it NEEDS to be done in 3 weeks. which I think will happen now....

Finally no more bending up floor pieces :D
Floorcomplete_0115.jpg

Also took care of the rot right here as well and cut the rear support. I'll cut the bumper to match the same 45*
floorcomplete_0117.jpg

Next I tackled my trac bar bracket, since I'm running a Ballistic 2.63 joint there was no way that would fit in my stock RE bracket so I modified it. I feel pretty confident about it not going anywhere, wrapped some .250 plate around and then braced the side of it as well.
floorcomplete_0124.jpg

floorcomplete_0116.jpg

It's still a tight fit but nothing should hit.
floorcomplete_0120.jpg

floorcomplete_0119.jpg

Now I know I should of moved the mounting hole up, but how do my angles look?
frontclip_0002.jpg

I started putting my front clip back together for the final time as well. the 3/8 bolt might not look the best but it's the easiest solution to tie the bottom of the fender to the boat-side.
frontclip_0008.jpg

And with the tire on for the general idea of where it's going to sit.
frontclip_0001.jpg

It's so nice to see this side finally come together somewhat as well!
frontclip_0003.jpg

May not look like much but this was a complete pain to re make. about an inch above the bends was gone, it all rotted out. It didn't come out bad really considering it was all done by cardboard templates. (Don't mind the door gap, no shims were in the hinges)
frontclip_0004.jpg

Never knew how flimsy the header panel is without this silly bracket. so my only option was to weld it on my new front member.
frontclip_0010.jpg

Off topic but got a new tent for nacfest :cool:
frontclip_0011.jpg

And does anyone has this harness for the alternator kicking around they want to donate :D mine looks like it got melted at some point.
frontclip_0006.jpg

NACfest

:drool:

she's coming along good

I read that you put some chevy springs in your bastard pack. Are they the 63'' or 52" springs? Curious because im looking to do something similar. Thanks.

I did the 63" springs, obviously no seat time with them just yet but they don't seem to be stiff

Sick thats what I was hopin to here, I want to do the 63"s too. Did you just have to use the rear shackle relocation brackets, or did you move the front spring mount forward too?

How did you configure the bastard pack, if you don't mind me asking, im not to familiar with the process.

I used the XJ main leaf, I heard you can use the chevy main but honestly I didn't want to mess with it so I just cut up the whole pack and downsized it. just be sure to use teflon in between the leafs, and chamfer the edges with a grinder or something of that sort so they flex well.

I really hate rust. I bet you do too...

On that note I'm off to finish replacing my shock absorber crossmember and floor...

:passgas:

I used the XJ main leaf, I heard you can use the chevy main but honestly I didn't want to mess with it so I just cut up the whole pack and downsized it. just be sure to use teflon in between the leafs, and chamfer the edges with a grinder or something of that sort so they flex well.

Ok, Thanks for the info. Im gunna keep and eye on this build. Good job.

I really hate rust. I bet you do too...

On that note I'm off to finish replacing my shock absorber crossmember and floor...

:passgas:

haha after this project I'll never do this again... lesson learned but at least she'll drive like new right? uh oh... cross member was rotted out as well? Did you get a replacement?

Crossmember wasn't rotted out, I just HATE the design and the stupid weldnuts etc.

So I chopped the sucker out, plated the left frame rail with 3/16" right where it connected, right frame rail was already plated with 3/16" there due to the frame rail replacement/strengthening/oh-god-rust-accidentally-my-whole-jeep job, then welded two 2x2x0.187" square tubes from rail to rail, each one right over a shock. Put 2x0.187" shock tabs in the right spots on each one, threw some MJ shocks on it since they are eye+bushing at both ends instead of bar pins, then cut the right side gas tank suspension bar shorter and welded it down, and extended the left side one and welded it down too. Built custom keyhole pocket sections out of some leftover 2x2x0.187" square tube so that I can still use OEM gas tank bolts.

I'll be posting pics somewhere or other sometime real soon now. If I was going to do it again I would hit up a part-out or you-pull-it and buy a second right-hand gas tank suspension bar and use it instead of the ghetto lengthening job I did on my left-hand one... or would just buy a jeep from the south and forget this whole disaster.

Drove it about 5 miles just now with no floor in the trunk, loud as hell but it held together great.

Pull it now before it's too late. Believe me, I would be in much better shape if I had handled this problem in September 08 when I bought the jeep instead of waiting a year and a half.

Little updates:
took care of my transfer case,

cracked it open put new shift pads, filter and a new chain as well. Wasn't much to show so here's just my end product.
Gearing_0011.jpg

I'm also going to follow the band wagon here and run the heim joint and all thread linkage, so I had to find a way to flip my bracket upright, I just took a chunk of 1/4 and welded it on the correct spot on the stock bracket. (Don't worry I trimmed the other side I don't need anymore off.)
Gearing_0010.jpg

Also took the time to complete my grill/bumper. Grill I put a healthy coat of bedliner on it to get rid the old chrome business. Never seen it done but I really like it.
Gearing_0013.jpg

And thanks to a buddy got my tuarus fan installed. :)
Gearing_0015.jpg

Also started my gearing, forgot to take the final pattern but this was my first pattern, not to bad for just guessing at was the shimset should be to start with.
Gearing_0018.jpg

Maybe tomorrow I can get some running video perhaps? :D

actually yes! I have alot more to type in as far as tech but it drives!!!!

Just pictures for now, but it drives for the most part, gotta do some finish touches and complete my interior.

Well I was having the issue of the jeep not starting so I took care of that problem...
final_0052.jpg

With a new engine harness and ECU it runs great now, too bad I couldn't tuck the harness somewhere else. the engine bay looks so clean without it.
final_0053.jpg

Also finished my rear bumper and gas tank skid.
final_0040.jpg

And of course some flex pictures
final_0045.jpg

final_0047.jpg

final_0048.jpg

That's it for now!

Old saying: "If you can't hide the pig, put some lipstick on it."

Check at summit or jegs for some colored harness coverings.

Nice rig.

wow that looks real nice. i wish my engine bay would look that clean.. the whole jeeps looks real nice. i might have to steal some ideas..

what kind of seats did you put in it?

and how did you get the engine bay so clean?

Last edited:
Back