• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Project Jevy - A sequence of events

Glad we could help save this project from "Scary Fab" section on pirate.. I hate cutting out hard earned dollars only to redo it correctly a second time.. its hard to compete in this business. there is a lot of people doing stuff they shouldn't for prices that cant keep the doors open.. thanks for the business Luis.. remember folks... Bad ASS isn't CHEAP.. and CHEAP isn't BAD ASS..

Got more pictures and an update.

Finally went to the Dyno and got it tuned. The original mail order tune was so bad that the guys at Westech Performance Group spent a bunch of dyno time just wading through the crap and fixing their mistakes. Eventually, he got a flash in that worked and got it running awesome!! Drivability is fantastic and there is just power everywhere. I haven't spun the tires, but I am pretty sure a burnout to break-in the MTRs is in my immediate future.

Otherwise, leadfoot is done with it and I should have final possession of my jeep back on Friday.

Getting strapped in...

And then the noise began..

For some reason the audio on my iphone didn't work. Feel free to insert engine noises.

And finally the numbers. I only took pics of the 1st, 2nd and final pulls, respectively. In between there was a whole bunch I didn't take pictures of.

Finally, some suspension updates for some of the go-fast goodies.

Not much to report, but I got the interior all done up and put back together. I was able to put back all but 2 interior panels, so everything is covered up and I very happy with that. It was one of the major requirements when getting the new cage done.

The power steering pump was leaking from who knows where, so I warrantied it through Oreilly's and got a new one in there. While I was there, I figured I would get a new steering gear and FINALLY got rid of the play in the steering I have had forever.

Then, Monday, I was finally able to actually drive this thing and get the tires dirty. Drove it up to running springs for a day trip and tested out the tires/power a bit. Didn't exactly wheel, but we drove quite a few dirt roads. Happy to report nothing broke. Locked up a rear brake pretty good while carving the mountains, but that just means its time for me to get a ZJ proportioning disc/disc proportioning valve to install. Overall, it was like 160 miles there and back at 65mph with no troubles and no steering wander. Actually drove like a road vehicle.

onto some pics:

During this trip, I also figured out that the hydro bumps are too low and hit all the time while driving it on the road. So I decided to pull them last night in order to shorten them from 2" travel to 1" travel.

Trying to plan a wheeling trip to either swamp lake or JV on the first weekend of November, to stretch its legs and finally test it.

Till then, just got a few things to do:

- Reinstall Hydro bumps
- Figured out transfer case shifter
- Measure and lengthen front driveshaft
- Make mounting plate for ARB comp and mount on cage, then rewire
- Re-plumb locker lines
- Try to find unobtanium window moldings for the rear door glass divider and reinstall glass
- Replace window regulator
- Dynamat all doors
- Install door panels that I picked up at the JY

Yeah, Walt is right. I created a facebook folder and was stealing the urls off that. Apparently they do what Walt says, so now pics are broken and I don't want to go back and change them. The ones that are still working are from Photobucket. I am posting the rest off that.

Done any real wheeling in this thing yet? This thing came out great!

Not yet. Trying to work the kinks out of it at the moment. Blew out a collector gasket, due to loose bolts, which caused all sorts of running issues. Random misfires, rich conditions, etc. Hopefully I have that worked out with a set of new Delcos instead of the E3s I had in there.

Other than that, figuring out a transfer case shifter linkage, getting my front driveshaft lengthened, it will be ready. Hoping to have it done very very soon, since desert season is basically upon us and I want to go try some of the hammer trails.

welp... the running woes continue.....

Really not sure what is going on. Pulled the plugs again to inspect and they are much better this go-around. It was running fantastic for about 35 miles with the new plugs and then the issue came back.

Bank 1:

Bank 2:

I decided pull the O2s just in case and replace them. I don't really see anything wrong with them visually, but while data logging they were slightly sluggish. Nothing huge, but they are only $80, so why not.

Since the plugs looked fine, I threw them back in and checked the boots/coils to make sure everything was alright. I found the #4 wire cut/cracked and thought I had found the culprit. I tape it up with electrical tape, while I wait for the replacement to arrive from summit and ran it again.

Re-ran the jeep while logging data this time and the issue is still there.

The only thing that is different this time is the fact that the engine took off in RPMs, with 0.4% throttle input and the throttle blade confirmed at fully closed. If anyone can explain as to how this is possible, without a detectable massive vacuum leak I would really appreciate it! I think I am having a PCM issue, so that's next on my list to try. Got a buddy with a spare one that I am going to throw in and flash to see if anything changes.

Well..... I think I found out what the problem was. I was finally able to get the issue to happen long enough and purchased 2 ignition coils to ohm out and compare them to the ones on my motor. While waiting for them to get hot and the motor was just misfiring, I said F it and swapped them for Cyl 2&4. Welp... misfire went away. Then I drove the jeep for like 50ish miles and the issue hasn't come back. Not claiming victory yet, but its progress.

Gonna get working on the transfer case shifter and taking the driveshaft to go get lengthened.

Otherwise, I took the jeep for a beach cruise and snapped a pic.

I also organized the trunk and added my dual battery setup. Pretty happy with location and how it turned out.

Back