• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Project Jevy - A sequence of events

So I haven't updated this thing in a coon's age, so I figured it was time I posted up some new pics.

I finally got this wheel this thing out in TN and it did Windrock Park and Royal Blue offroad park. The trip did not come without prior drama though. Right before I took off, I had a trans fluid seep. I kept thinking it was a T case seal issue and pulled the case and replaced the seals multiple times. The last time I did, I got a wild idea to blow into the vent hose to see if it was clogged and maybe pushing fluid through the seals, but I found a cracked case....... yay, not!!!

I found this 3 days before I was set to leave for Tennessee and I was in a bit of a panic. Luckily, I found a shop with another 207 locally and they swapped all my guts and SYE, including the price of the new case, for $200. I thought that was a good deal. Anyway, I get one of my buddies to help me and we slap this thing back in and off I go. Mind you, this whole rig is still untested, since I haven't wheeled it after the powertrain and drivetrain swaps.

Then I got to adding a wideband and finalizing the interior for the trip. Its still not "done", but I doubt it ever will be.

After it was done and got it ready to put it on the trailer, I had to snap a pic.

Off I go...

Then we started the whole weekend with me being a dumbass, picking a poor line, not having hydro steering and almost rolling this bitch...

The video:

After that, I decided to make less poor life choices and we continued wheeling.

Then while trying this:

This happened:

No big deal... Just pull it off and run off the Y pipe. It sounded awesome!

This site only allows you to post 14 pics per post, stupid....!!!!!!!!!

Forgot to post this at the top, but when I moved from CA to Indiana, my window shattered and spydered. I left it as is, hoping it would stay. Welp... apparently 70mph on the trailer is too much for the glass and it blew out. So before we started wheeling, I had to vacuum the glass out. It was everywhere. Im pretty sure im going to be finding glass pieces for years to come.

Then on the last day of the last trail, ol green jeep broke a shaft. The weird thing is that it sheared a complete chromoly shaft before the warn hub let go. We were impressed to say the least. We hung out here for a few hours while this was fixed.

Beer + Jeeps + waiting for walt to fix his shit =

Finally, after about 10 days of the jeep sitting muddy and gross, I decided to wash it. It was kind of a big deal since this thing has not been washed once since I have owned it. That was 3+ years of dirt I washed off it. Even though its a pile of shit, it still cleaned up a bit.

So finally, lessons learned:
- I need hydro assist, bad!!
- I need to find/fix the trans leak
- Need to make sure the collector bolts are tight, so it doesn't blow out the gasket again while wheeling.
- I need a higher stall converter pretty badly also.
- Need to source the reason it revs high while under load, with no vacuum leak.
- Other things...

Looks great and I didn't know you went on that trip! Now that you're back in the Midwest you don't have to worry about the car wash cops. Lol

his machine did great.

his two biggest hang ups were the inability to turn and (according to pete) the inability to quite flipping switches, locking/unlocking lockers... both of those will be solved with hydro assist from the sounds of it.

your just using the stock GM pump on your RNR setup, right john?

Looks good! Had to be a good feeling to actually take it out and wheel

It sure was man. It's been down for far too long. I'm ready to get this thing dead reliable and wheel/drive it everywhere.

his machine did great.

his two biggest hang ups were the inability to turn and (according to pete) the inability to quite flipping switches, locking/unlocking lockers... both of those will be solved with hydro assist from the sounds of it.

your just using the stock GM pump on your RNR setup, right john?

Hydro steer from RNR is ordered! No more accidentally unlocking switches because I can't turn. Even with the truck pump, our steering gear has no balls for 37" MTRKs.

Hydro steer from RNR is ordered! No more accidentally unlocking switches because I can't turn. Even with the truck pump, our steering gear has no balls for 37" MTRKs.

and we werent running that low of a tire pressure either. assist is like gears. you dont know what you are missing until you try it first hand. we should have swapped keys. next time.

come up to RnV and we will come down to the badlands. :cheers:

On a side note, i did pick this sucker up today and I am pretty pumped about it. Its been on my wish list or find list for a few years now. Finally found one that wasn't $300 plus.

Cool.

I have had one of those on my wish list for a couple of decades now. The prices have kept me at bay thus far. Someday.

More updates.

I spent a majority of the past week planning and working on my welding cart. I upgraded from a Lincoln 210MP to an Esab Rebel 235 EMP, which means I was able to go to dual bottles for Mig/Tig. I was contemplating forking out the $500+ they are asking for a cart, but they one of the people in my neighborhood posted this tool box on our neighborhood facebook page.

I went to go look at it and for $20, I couldn't pass it up. I rolled it back to my house and got started modding it. The toolbox is fairly old, so its made from some solid steel and not stamped sheetmetal like the new stuff. Anyway, I ended up with a decent setup. I am pretty excited with how it turned out.

To give you an idea of what I was working with prior...

From there, I spent the rest of the day working on getting the hydro-assist installed. I made it much harder than it needed to be and messed with a couple of different locations of where to mount it. Then sent a couple pics to VAhasnoWAVES in order to get a second pair of eyes on my setup and he pointed out some mistakes. After that, I settled on the following location.

So... tomorrow i'm gonna finish the steering and bleed the air out of it and start her up to see how it does. Then I need to finish installed the passenger upper to install the 2nd arm for my radius arm setup. I never got it back on there when I did the axle swap, but I want to have the extra insurance.

Last edited:
It assists!

I have a video, but photobucket isn't getting on board right now...

Anyway, everything clears everything, from what I could test in my garage with a high lift, floor jack and jack stands. Tried everything at full bump and it doesn't seem like 2 things want to share the same space. It turns like butter now! This is one of the best mods to date and I haven't wheeled it yet. Before, the power steering struggled just a touch to turn the 37s even aired up on my garage floor. Now, no issues at all!

I also installed the passenger side radius arm for my clayton long arm kit. I am using a truss from TNT customs on the HP44 Ford axle and luckily, there were recesses on the truss for where the arm bracket locates. Its pretty handy and takes the guess work out of it.

In the grand scheme of things, this crap took me almost all weekend, but when you look at it, it doesnt look like I got much done....

I did get to relocate my cb though and put it where I can actually look at it and listen when someone talks. I also started cleaning out all the mud and crap from the inside from the last wheeling trip to Windrock Park and Royal Blue park.

that ESAB is a niffty looking machine how do you like it?

Well... I bought it for its better TIG capability, but I have only welded with it once, on the radius arm bracket you see above. Considering I am coming from a multi-process inverter machine, Lincoln 210MP, I assumed it would be more of the same. Boy was I wrong! On the SMIG process, this thing stabilizes the arc faster and among a wider range of surface impurities than the Lincoln ever did. I think its due to simply having a lot more amperage to play with to overcome and burn off the impurities, but I am really happy with it thus far. I can't exactly make a sound review yet, since I haven't had it long enough, but so far its been pretty impressive.

One of the biggest benefits I see is that the 235 has the option for 2 gas inputs, hence the dual bottle setup. It also allows you to run the TIG torch without removing the MIG setup, which my lincoln did not have. This is pretty critical for me since I don't TIG weld enough to have a dedicated TIG welder and messing with spooling/unspooling wire to remove the mig torch sucks. This along with its wider range of amperage, a better duty cycle (almost 100% on some voltages), and wider range of more common accessories makes this thing attractive to me. Mind you, it isn't cheap though. The cheapest I have found it is on cyberweld for $2600. It was a good investment for me, since I want to expand my abilities on to the TIG process, without investing the same amount on a TIG specific welder. Plus I sold the lincoln to a good buddy of mine and I got a really good deal on it.

youll love it. easily top 5 best things i did.

rocks and valleys... june 11.

John D set the date. im sure we could peer pressure pete into going.

Are we official yet? when we chatted last you said you weren't sure yet since we still had time to decide. I'm in for sure, unless an emergency comes up for the wedding.

That reminds me, I should add that to my calendar.

Im pretty stoked to see your rig in person and compare notes on LS builds.

Very interesting project, but none of the pics seem to work....

Yeah... I was using Facebook to host the pics but apparently they like to change their links around so none of the pics work. Also, naxja doesn't allow me to edit older posts, so I couldn't make them work even if I wanted to. Now I use Photobucket though, so they should work for a long while.

.. and now the links work. :shrugs:

Glad to see them, time to catch up on what you've been up to.

Back