• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Project CRD MJ is born:

How do you plan on reinforcing the unibody to account for the greater torque that engine puts out?

Last edited:
have you thought about shaving some of the inner fenders away to get yourself some clearance just in case, It is hard to tell but it looks VERY tight in those pictures. You would be able to then build your engine mounts in when you re-plate it. Of course, you may want to practice your welding a bit before then.

have you thought about shaving some of the inner fenders away to get yourself some clearance just in case, It is hard to tell but it looks VERY tight in those pictures. You would be able to then build your engine mounts in when you re-plate it. Of course, you may want to practice your welding a bit before then.

Its not the inner fenders that would need to be shaved, it would be the framerails that would need to be shaved. It fits fine that way, but to run the engine and trans in together takes just the right angle, and the header and such removed.

Cool project! Did you forget to turn the gas on with those welds? I'd do a little more practicing before you fab up something as crucial as motor mounts.

Cool project! Did you forget to turn the gas on with those welds? I'd do a little more practicing before you fab up something as crucial as motor mounts.
Looks like Flux core to me.

I think wayyyy back at the first of this thread he said he was working with an arc welder.

Correct. I used 1/8 7014 for welding these up, but it didn't like being welded vertical, so on the flat welds it did fine, but other places the puddle ran too much. Oh well, they should hold just fine.

The transition between the front guard and the A pillar doesn't flow very well. Is there some more repositioning to do or does that gap need to be filled some how?

The transition between the front guard and the A pillar doesn't flow very well. Is there some more repositioning to do or does that gap need to be filled some how?

The fenders are cheap, fitment is not all that great to begin with. Part of the front mounting surface of the fender keeps it from going as far back as it should, this needs to be adjusted.

Second, the fenders are dented and beat.

Third, I barely made an attempt to set them in place, just to get an idea on the overall fitment issues, the fenders need to be modifed to fit properly on the front before the fenders will sit as far back as they should.

Yeah Sam..... hurry the hell up!

Well I got to thinking today that maybe I should get back to work. So I started thinking about what I needed to do next which is to get the springs back under it so I can move on with fabbing up the tranny mount.

Well I got to thinking and decided that the D30 is just too weak of an axle to put under the front end with 30.5" tires, so I decided to put a JK Dana 44 front under it. Quick search of craigslist and I went and picked up the cheapest one I could find at $300.

Its missing the passenger side knuckle and the brakes, I will either replace everything thats missing and go back to JK specs, replace just the pass high steer knuckle and try to use D30 unit bearings, or put on WJ high steer knuckles and brakes(cheapest option thus far and keeps the 5x4.5 pattern)

And now I will probably get a 8.8 with 4.10s and LSD for the rear, which is my ideal setup, selectable locker in the front, LSD in the rear. I'll top it off with a TJ locker switch and have everything nice and factory like I like.

MJ219.jpg

MJ220.jpg

You know the JK axle is about 5+" wider than the stock axle, right? And the Ford 8.8" is a little narrower than the stock axle as well?

He has had it listed for something like $800 for over a month now. Last week I noticed he posted it at $400. Sent him an email and offered $300, came down and looked at it today and loaded it up. Said he had no emails about it at all.

You know the JK axle is about 5+" wider than the stock axle, right? And the Ford 8.8" is a little narrower than the stock axle as well?

Really I had no idea!!!!?!?!?!!1111111!!1one!!!!

Really I had no idea!!!!?!?!?!!1111111!!1one!!!!

Get a JK rear and all is fine.

With OEM style offsets you will barely notice the additional width. Do some searching at Jeepforum, Jeeps Unlimited, MallCraawlin.

Back