• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Project CRD MJ is born:

MJ140.jpg

MJ141.jpg

MJ142.jpg

MJ143.jpg

MJ144.jpg

MJ145.jpg

These are just a bunch of picture of the side of the engine, I figured I would never have as good of a view of it again once its in, so I took some pictures for reference.
MJ146.jpg

MJ147.jpg

MJ148.jpg

MJ149.jpg

MJ150.jpg

MJ151.jpg

MJ152.jpg

MJ153.jpg

MJ154.jpg

MJ155.jpg

MJ156.jpg

The combination of the extreme height of the engine, and the depth of the oil pan, means that at the very least the front end needs to sit up about 3" and the engine needs to sit back a good ways to clear the front differential. To get good clearance the firewall needs to be persuaded into a different shape.
MJ157.jpg

MJ158.jpg

MJ159.jpg

MJ160.jpg

MJ161.jpg

Its gonna be tight:
MJ162.jpg

MJ163.jpg

Tight indeed! I think that firewall needs a bit more sledgehammer work. How are your door hinges, btw? Now would be a great time to rip off the putty and reweld any cracks.

Tight indeed! I think that firewall needs a bit more sledgehammer work. How are your door hinges, btw? Now would be a great time to rip off the putty and reweld any cracks.

Drivers side door hinge has pulled away from the body, planning on jacking it back into place and rewelding the seam, others look fine.

have you thought about making an EGR block off plate? any CP3 mods larger turbo maybe honed tips?:confused1

EGR/Heat exchanger is going to be removed because I do not have the solenoid to control it anyways.(and in its place a blockoff plate with an EGT probe on the exhaust side will be fitted in the perfect place before the turbo, on the intake side a blockoff plate will be fitted with a boost pressure pickup).

Now I have no love for the EGR on my nissans, mostly because they cramp an already cramped engine bay(I laugh at those of you that think the XJ has a tight engine bay), but other than that I have no reason to remove it on my nissans its not like I'm trying to "ditch that HP sucking EGR yo". The CRD is a different story, now we all know how clean and efficient modern diesels are, but unfortunately due to myopic policy most US emissions are so focused on NOx emissions that they overlook the lower overall emissions or the fact that per BTU burned the emissions are lower. Several of us CRD owners have shown time and time again a significant improvement in mileage occurs when the EGR is disabled. A Jeep CRD engine with the EGR disabled runs better, uses less fuel, and stays cleaner with the EGR disabled, though almost certainly the NOx output at times becomes higher than is acceptable under tier 2 emissions.

Otherwise I have no interest in messing around with the CP3 or injectors.

Busy busy busy with school. And school takes the priority(even over women).

You sir have the right attitude. Projects can be finished in due time. Educations last forever. No one can take knowledge from you. GL!

Lots of extra metal on the fender that needs to be removed:
MJ164.jpg

Here you can see the parts of the headlight support that need to be trimmed:
MJ165.jpg

MJ166.jpg

This will be my drivers side engine mount, its a engine mount for something, I just grabbed it off the shelf at autozone because it looked close, it has the right height to clear the articulation of the upper control arm. I just wish it was heavier duty looking.
MJ167.jpg

This is going to be the passenger side engine mount, its very similar in design to the OEM KJ mounts, but it only about 3" tall, the passenger side engine bracket sits up much taller than the drivers side, so I have to use the shorter one on the drivers side.
MJ168.jpg

MJ169.jpg

MJ170.jpg

MJ172.jpg

This is the Oil filter location, when I got the engine it came with a cartridge style oil filter that stuck way out, it just wasn't going to clear the frame rail, I was worried I wouldn't be able to fit anything and would need to get an oil filter relocation kit. So today at autozone I brought my parts down and started looking at oil filters, of course the larger fram PH8A and the sotck PH16 work, but both are too large, I started grabbing some off the shelf and it looks like the one I picked works perfect, as it turns out it looks like its for the 4cyl XJ/TJs........lucky for me I will actually be able to get this oil filter on and off when the engine installed:
MJ171.jpg

MJ173.jpg

MJ174.jpg

MJ175.jpg

MJ176.jpg

MJ177.jpg

subscribing because this build is just too cool...:peace:

wow! great job!

as a diesel xj owner (also 2,5 but VM diesel, not CRD) i can say this is an awesome job!
Here in Europe are diesel swaps more common, i know some XJs with 2,5 TD from Mitsubishi, one with 3.0 ltr. engine from IVECO dellivery truck...There are also some YJs with diesels
I am now playing around with getting an auto tranny behind my 2.5 TD 4headed4banger.

I am turning green from that MJ. MJs are very rare here. I WAAAANT ONEEE longbed MJ very badly.

Not much else to add, got my passenger side mount finished today, need to modify the drivers side mount in the same way. I tried to start on that tonight but my chop saw blade self destructed, time for a new one, gotta wait till harbor freight opens tomorrow morning to get another.

MJ181.jpg

MJ182.jpg

MJ183.jpg

After this I need to make a little plate to bolt the transmission to the transmission mount, after that I will work on clearancing the floor to clear the transfer case(trans and transfer case are a good deal further back than they were stock.

Old part of engine mount bracket cut off, new piece of angle iron tacked on.
MJ184.jpg

MJ185.jpg

MJ186.jpg

MJ187.jpg

Tacked all the way around:
MJ188.jpg

I may not be the best welder, but, well........I may not be the best welder.
MJ189.jpg

MJ190.jpg

MJ191.jpg

Look ma, no hands!
MJ192.jpg

MJ193.jpg

Drivers side mount under compression:
MJ194.jpg

MJ195.jpg

MJ196.jpg

So theres that, got the engine mounts done and the engine in place, I need to modify the transmount to bolt now, and then I will need to clearance the rear floor to get the transfer case in place.

Plenty of stuff to be done.

Back