• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Project: Comanche Chief

LTD MJ

NAXJA Forum User
Alright.. I'm finally starting the build of my 1988 Jeep Comanche.

The truck may look familiar as it previously belonged to BMyohn. It originally had a 4 cyl, 5-speed and at the moment it may end up with another 4 cyl, 5-speed setup that will be a bit better than what he extracted before I bought the truck.

Now with the WJ unibody out of the way, I was able to get started by taking off the bed and getting a better look at things. Next steps will be getting the WJ axles stripped and welding on XJ spring perches on the front and some leaf springs perches on the rear. Then I'll have to move onto the floor which should be fun!... but anyway, first things first...

I have a few avenues I can go down with regards to driveline and wiring. Still haven't settled on which bits from the WJ and which bits from the XJ I'm going to use. Obviously running the XJ wiring and gauges would be the fastest, but I originally envisioned doing a complete wiring/driveline/gauge cluster and partial interior swap from the WJ into the truck. Then another engine came onto the scene and if I use it, I'll be running a manual and I would need to run more of the XJ harness.

Either way, I have a '97 POS donor XJ (The Blue Pearl... Necklace) that Gene helped me pickup a few months ago that I'll be parting out at some point during the build after I get what I want out of it.

So what's the current plan?
-Axles: WJ D44 and D30 (save it sh*t on the aluminum D44, these will work just fine for what I'm doing with the truck! :) )
-Transfer Case: Either WJ NV242 or XJ 242 if I can find one. If I use my XJ wiring, I'll need to find one with the tail shaft setup for the speedo sensor
-Transmission: NVG 3550 (if I do 4.7: 545RFE)
-Engine: 4 cyl CRD (or 4.7 if this engine doesn't pan out)
-Interior: WJ heated overstuffed leather seats, '97 XJ dash, center console, some other bells and whistles from the limited WJ
-Body: Dark Olive Green with black Comanche Chief decals on the bottom of the doors, '97-01 XJ doors, grill, 2007 Commander 5-spoke wheels, black grill, bumpers TBD
-Tires/Lift: Rusty's 3" and 31" A/T's - want to keep it a very road friendly rig

I want the thing to end up looking like something that Jeep should have built.. a fully loaded, clean, capable rig that is highway friendly and has a unique sound coming from under the hood (reminiscent of my old CJ, but much more quiet!)

Here she is! photos

Last edited:
Let me know if you need a hand with the project. My plant is slow right now so I have most weekends off!

I had only ever seen a couple of photos when Brendan was messing around with it. That thing is uber clean! Can't wait to watch the progress.

I had only ever seen a couple of photos when Brendan was messing around with it. That thing is uber clean! Can't wait to watch the progress.

Yeah, I'm very happy with it and impressed with the lack of rust. There is an A/C service sticker on the firewall with a Florida address so I'm guessing it lived a major portion of it's life in the south. The only rust I have to address on it is the typical holes on the floor board. Brendan had a shop put some patches on there but as you'll see, I'm cutting them out and doing them over. (No offense Brendan!) The bed is 100% rust free minus some very light surface rust on the corner where it's damaged.

I'll also have to cut out the MJ seat floor support to switch out for the XJ so I had planned to do some welding on it anyway... not to mention the light firewall mods I'll have to do for the newer gen dash.

I'll be glad to. I've seen the truck at Brendans, its a hell of a start for an awesome project. I need to get my MJ running. :(

I do on my FB page. Its a pretty much rust free gray 86 longbed with a rollbar. Needs a floorboard and rod bearings or a motor swap.

Here's one of it in front of my XJ, you've probably seen the XJ around.
2011-04-26_17-24-19_88.jpg

Last edited:
Shhhhhh, no damn way......as long as I own it,which may be forever at this rate!

What. Game. Is. That!?

WTF! It's only available for mac or android stuff?! Total bummer.

Had about an hour to get the rest of the interior out of the jeep tonight. No real surprises..

...That thing is uber clean! Can't wait to watch the progress.

Here is the most dreaded part of the project.. the one bit that ain't uber clean is the floor

8UmIAoDG7Ruj6B6NX2Da3SKdzwg8ok8YCgh78qAkRFo

Drvr%20Side.JPG

Drivers Floor:
Drvr%2520Side2.JPG

Drvr%2520Side3.JPG

Drvr%2520Side4.JPG

Surface Rust on firewall from leaking MC's:
Fire%2520Wall.JPG

Passenger side is MUCH better.. just a lot of surface rust that can be knocked off and one area that I need to cut out and redo (black patch):
Pass%2520Side.JPG

Last edited:
I made the first one work. Just right click on the pic from your link, select "copy image url"

that's what you want to put btw the

use what i posted for ref...can you still edit? if not I'll fix them later.

mac 'everyone is a newb once' gyvr

I see lots of welding and sheetmetal in your future!

Back