• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Project: Comanche Chief

Made major unexpected progress today.

Gene stopped by just in time to see me starting to prep my WJ axles for surgery and we started playing with the idea of keeping the rear put together and running coils in the back. After a few measurements and a good pep talk, Gene sold me on the the idea of doing a coil setup. With a couple 24" control arms, some spring pads for the frame, and some custom frame mounts for the A-arm, I'll be in business for the rear. The shock brackets are already in the right place:

Front%2520Axle6.JPG

Front%2520Axle9.JPG

Now - we also decided that the 1 3/8 overall difference in width on the front coil perches vs the XJ's 36" coil spacing wasn't bad enough for the pain in the ass I was going to deal with relocating the WJ brackets.. so we gave it a shot and what do you know.. with a little of Gene's elbow grease and handy work, it was essentially a bolt in axle. Stock WJ control arms and all! In the pics it's sitting pretty tall due to the lack of about 600lbs of body and engine. We couldn't get a pic of this, but with both of our 220+ lb asses pushing down on the front end, the control arms level out nicely and the steering geometry will be great. It was really my lucky day!

I'll need to get an adjustable track bar and possibly shorten the drag link, but other than that.. I used the MJ coils (for now) which on top of the WJ coil perches sit about 3" higher (free lift kit!), stock WJ control arms and I'm sitting purdy!

That 1 3/8" overall spring difference isn't even noticeable (sorry for blurry pic):
Front%2520Axle.JPG

Front%2520Axle13.JPG

Front%2520Axle2.JPG

Front%2520Axle3.JPG

Front%2520Axle4.JPG

nice stock WJ tube control arms:
Front%2520Axle5.JPG

notice the sway bar even lines up... Really couldn't have done it without Gene's help.. made life much easier!
Front%2520Axle8.JPG

Whoever said a WJ axle isn't a direct bolt in to an XJ/MJ obv never tried. Can't tell you the number of times I've read that online... posers. I recommend if you want to build a bit wider rig on 31s to 33s.. run out and buy the WJ d30 before others catch on that it is in fact a bolt in with little work.. then you can do rear 1.5" spacers/adapters to match up the width and be able to run all the cooler newer WJ, JK, Commander etc 5x5 rims! JK 18's are for sale all day on CL for 500-600 bucks! :nono:

SHITCHYA!

Gene is kinda handy to know! :cheers:

I am digging the progress. I'm kind of excited to see what comes of the coils in the back. Kudos!

I am digging the progress. I'm kind of excited to see what comes of the coils in the back. Kudos!

Thanks! I hope to keep up the pace and I think the build thread is a great way of being held accountable to get sh*t done!

I was 100% convinced I would keep it simple and just do leaf springs, but with the axle already setup for three link coils and the frame rails and spring perches aligning, the path of least resistance is running coils..

It should have a smooth ride and as Gene pointed out, it'll be easy to bag if I need more holding power in the springs.

Examples he used were coolers of ice and beer.

Thanks! I hope to keep up the pace and I think the build thread is a great way of being held accountable to get sh*t done!

I was 100% convinced I would keep it simple and just do leaf springs, but with the axle already setup for three link coils and the frame rails and spring perches aligning, the path of least resistance is running coils..

It should have a smooth ride and as Gene pointed out, it'll be easy to bag if I need more holding power in the springs.

Examples he used were coolers of ice and beer.
For what you'll use it for, the coil setup should be no problem with a set of airbags for Gene's loads of beer.

Anyone have any good recommendations for custom length adjustable control arms? I need to get adjustable 24" arms for my lower rears.

Rusty's has what I want to use for the upper a-arm so I may just order lowers through them too and be done with it.
R43-WJ_01b.jpg

Going to make some custom A-arm frame plates and coil buckets and use the stock leaf buckets for lower arm mounts:
c6e4e3b4-ec99-bdef.jpg

Then I don't have to do any modifications to the axle to bolt it in.. Great if I ever need to bolt in a replacement!

Then it's just track bar and drag link and axles are good to go.

Just to let you all know, still chugging along.

Finishing up engine mount design and then I'll pull the trigger on custom rear suspension hardware so i can get the rear axle in and custom engine mounting hardware at the same time... Since I don't have direct access to heavy fab equipment anymore, I'm drawing all the stuff and a friend is helping with the dirty work.

Here's a preview:

c6e4e04a-1237-0f66.jpg

Damn Steve, moving along nicely. Let me know if you need a hand on the weekends, i can't do a lot of heavy stuff but can help with electrical.

So have I missed the part about the engine? I'm surprised nobody asked the billion dollar question.... WHAT'S HANGING FROM THE ENGINE HOIST...?!?!

I happen to know but I'm ready for the unveil.

Big 'secret' Hank

Thanks Flex! Will definitely be able to use help on wiring when I get there..

As for the engine... All I'll say for now is that it's a Cummins with more power than my last one over 200lbs lighter than that one was too.

Finalizing adapter plans today for the NV3550 with Phoenix castings unless someone has a better source I should know of for custome bell housing rings.

Also in the market for a nv242

Steve, PM inbound. Also, I'm not a wiring genius but I am damn handy with a soldering iron.

Oh. My. Good. Gawd. :worship:

Oh. My. Good. Gawd. :worship:

You have no idea! :loveu: I just got home from Steve's Work shop.......There is a whole lot of badass stuffed into that place! :shocked:

Still working! Compiling parts and looking for an NV3550. Picked up a great bed last night in near mint condition.

Now all I have to do is convince Big Hank to build a matching trailer for his expedition chili pepper with a pop-over tent on top out of my old bed.

More to come!

He can build me a trailer. Let me know when you're working on it again. I'd like to help out some!

I'm back to work after much time away due to work.

Question: 4 cyl frame motor mounts vs 4.0. On the frame side, are they different?

Back