• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Prodject "Hardcore XJ"

You really need to clean off that metal with SpudJuice(r)'s Zinc-B-Gone before start welding.

That weld looks like crap!

Geepfreak said:
3438396%3B23232%7Ffp63%3Dot%3E2344%3D7%3A9%3D%3A26%3DXROQDF%3E23238499668%3C8ot1lsi

Thanks again for your input.

:nono: Sigh...Some people never learn.

If you're going to do it do it right, don't be such a moron.

Velcro will not hold right. Drill a couple of 1/8" holes and pop rivet it on. Get the good rivets from Pep Boys, the ones that they sell for body kits.

Lou said:
You really need to clean off that metal with SpudJuice(r) before start welding.

That looks like crap!

The areas that I was welding to were ground off to bare steel, I will sand the whole thing before painting.

GSequoia said:
:nono: Sigh...Some people never learn.

If you're going to do it do it right, don't be such a moron.

Velcro will not hold right. Drill a couple of 1/8" holes and pop rivet it on. Get the good rivets from Pep Boys, the ones that they sell for body kits.

I thought that I would probably drill and bolt through the cage.

i like the bumper...does not sacrifice too much approach angle...i was worried when i saw the pic of the velcor safety/recovery handle...but when i read that it wraps 1-1/2 times around i was relieved....i actually used some velcro i had laying around to mount my spare on the roof...that was only like 1/2" piece...and it held damn good....keep up the good work and the great pics of your progress...

No! That'll like make it weaker and stuff. You can't drill through both sides, just drill through the not roll side of the steel (the bottom or inside, they will never see the ground).

A problem I see is weight. You're adding a lot of weight to your rig, I would take a 1/2" drill bit and drill out holes on the inside and bottom of the tubes (again, the side that sees no strain becuase it doesn't touch the ground). That will save you like 82.3% of the weight. You're still going to want a tight turbo and maybe some flows to make up with the power.

Nice work...

I'm diggin the "Turtle's Back" exo-armor...

There's a lot more tech in this thread than 85% of the other threads on here lately...

More pics of the Vodka bottle on the hood please....

Gil BullyKatz said:
Nice work...

I'm diggin the "Turtle's Back" exo-armor...

There's a lot more tech in this thread than 85% of the other threads on here lately...

More pics of the Vodka bottle on the hood please....

Finished the Vodka, so had to start with the Bud light
3438396%3B23232%7Ffp46%3Dot%3E2344%3D7%3A9%3D%3A26%3DXROQDF%3E2323849954376ot1lsi

kinda hard to see.
and ya the turtle shell was what I was going for, easier to roll back over. G. the wieght I thought was an issue, and your idea of drilling out the weight is a good one. I thought about Mandrel bending the conduit but the sand in the tube would add ALOT of weight.
Thanks for all you advice.. keep it coming.

My wife called me in for dinner, so I will have to wait until tomorrow to work on it again. But thanks for all the replies, I really think I can have it done in about 10-12 more hours. I am looking at drilling through the body with a hole saw, to get the triangulation that I need to stiffen the cage and the Unit-body, so upon impact it will hold together and keep me safe, as well as be easier to roll back over. more Tech to come... I will keep all posted.

Geepfreak said:
I was also thinking about the guys I will be wheeling with and it worries me that with rolling on the Pass side the extracation will be pulling on the drivers side, so I think putting winching and pulling points would be a good idea. I think these should work fine as the velcro does reach all the way around the tube 1 1/2 times.
3438396%3B23232%7Ffp63%3Dot%3E2344%3D7%3A9%3D%3A26%3DXROQDF%3E23238499668%3C8ot1lsi

Thanks again for your input.

I wouldn't even bother with extraction points on the exo. I have had great sucess with welding d ring tabs staight onto the sheet metal of the doors for side extraction. They are 3/4 inch thick and my mig worked just fine. I know the welder says 1/4 inch max but that is just for liability lawer type stuff.

Good pictures and awsome tech write up. that thing is going to be SWEET

A canoe is just the right shape to go on the roof and help the rig roll back over to its feet. You'll have to widen the canoe some, but that's not a big deal. Ace Hardware sells a special flux core wire that will work for welding the aluminum to the steel backbone. Actually I'm not sure if canoes are aluminum? Get a can of steel- aluminum converter, then you'll have the best possible welds.

i was thinkin satalite dish reason being cause it's kinda like a bowl and light wieght

Man this is the sickest set up ever. I heard PVC holds up real well if you dont want to weld a cage. I would get a thread going to see what kind of rims you should get with that cage. Cause they dont match...:wierd:

IH8RDS said:
I wouldn't even bother with extraction points on the exo. I have had great sucess with welding d ring tabs staight onto the sheet metal of the doors for side extraction. They are 3/4 inch thick and my mig worked just fine. I know the welder says 1/4 inch max but that is just for liability lawer type stuff.

Good pictures and awsome tech write up. that thing is going to be SWEET
couldnt he just use the door handles for extraction purposes?

FarmerMatt said:
Please don't forget to properly tie your front seats into your cage. Many, many people don't do this & it's just not safe!!!...

if your gonna do that make sure to use a red zip tie cause i've heard thier the strongest

JJacobs said:
A canoe is just the right shape to go on the roof and help the rig roll back over to its feet. You'll have to widen the canoe some, but that's not a big deal. Ace Hardware sells a special flux core wire that will work for welding the aluminum to the steel backbone. Actually I'm not sure if canoes are aluminum? Get a can of steel- aluminum converter, then you'll have the best possible welds.

A very good point. Plus, if you should happen to dump it in a river, you double your chances of survival. I'd show you the math, but I can't find my lucky crayon. I am curious why you went this route, and abandoned the retractable training wheels we discussed at Moab. G'luck with it!
Jim 'beam' me up, Poomba

Back