• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

POWER Steering

I've had them on all my Jeeps over the last 20 + years. Guess I'll never know if they helped but various cars / trucks come as OEM so it must help otherwise they wouldn't have put them on???

i was wanting to use my tranny cooler as a ps pump cooler, and upgrade to the z cast box but when i tore it down i saw that it already had the z box. is this normal? the previous owner wasnt into 4wheeling and didnt mod the jeep at all.

For anyone interested:
P6170551.jpg

P6170552.jpg

Anybody ever checked if the reservoirs can be swapped between the models?

Anybody ever checked if the reservoirs can be swapped between the models?

they can. my wj resi leaked from the extra return line so i swapped on a xj resi.

then it leaked from in between the pump and resi.

this new XJ will eventually see PSC's high volume kit. a little bit more money, less of a headache, a lot more power. and it'll be ready for hydro assist if i decide to step up to that.

Last edited:
Well, I bought a rolled 01' GC limited for the drivetrain for my buggy.
That is were we sourced the pump.

I would bet it is VERY cheap at a junkyard... $10-$20?

Nothing else is needed!

Don't forget to score the high pressure hose. The fitting on the end is different than all others and every hose house I contacted couldn't make the bump tube for the larger steel line. The factory line runs from the pump down to the hydraulicly run fan, not the steering gear. I had to have my local hose house modify the factory hose and braze a new steel line to it and fab up the rest of the hose. The custom fab portion was $60 and since I bought a new pump, I couldn't score the old line, and a factory line lists for $90+ (cost me $65).

I am running a Dakota steering gear with a higher ratio. With the bigger pump, it is almost a bit twitchy. I am adding my hydro assist cylinder tomorrow so that should tame the twitch.

Don't forget to score the high pressure hose. The fitting on the end is different than all others and every hose house I contacted couldn't make the bump tube for the larger steel line.

all you have to do in unscrew the high pres fitting from the WJ unit and use the one from your XJ.

all you have to do in unscrew the high pres fitting from the WJ unit and use the one from your XJ.
Are you talking about the fitting that is already screwed into the pump that the hose then screws into?

HOKAY

i have this mod done to my jeep for quite some time and ghetto bent the old power steering line to work over the larger resivoir as some dont fit.

well since i did that i had a power steering whine but was too lazy to fix it nor did i know what it was, but didnt care as my steering worked mucho better than stock.

well just now just put on a new hose

edelman part number 80290 fits perfectly around the larger resivoir.

i ordered it for a 97 cherokee.

whine is much less. might still have some air in the system though.

Aside form reviving an old thread let's see if I have this straight. I have a 96 XJ 4.0 which is the 96-01 power steering pump bolt pattern. I have the 99+ intake anyways.

So I need and do the following
(1) PS pump and reservoir from a '01-'04 WJ 4.7

Swap the fitting ends on the pump from the XJ to the WJ pump so I can use my existing high pressure line.

block off one of the two low pressure fittings which ever one my XJ does NOT fit.

Install YJ Gearbox.

use royal purple PS fluid (personal choice)

Lift front and spin lock to lock under no load about 20 times

let sit and re-check for air

I already have a steering box brace and when I R&R the gearbox I will add in the JCR 3 bolt spacer plate.

I already have a frame plate on the outside of the frame for a bumper install.

if needed i may swap out the HP line for the 80290 recommended if I have reservoir clearance issues.

Sound about right?

Sounds right to me! Whats with the YJ box? I would also run a 2" muffler clamp to the powersteering box around the output, welded to a piece of 3/8" bar stock over to the other frame rail. It could be either bolted or welded to the frame. REALLY makes things solid!

BTW:

This setup is on its second jeep now, (93' 2 door with 99 intake) and still working perfectly! Man what a difference again!

XJRubicon

OMG thats what the deal is... I have always hated how the XJ steering feels, when I get in my 4 runner and drive it for a while and then back to the XJ it always feels weird for a bit. Thanks for the info! What year box did you score?

XJRubicon

Back