• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

POWER Steering

lapisxj said:
Yea, I would like to see the picts as well.

Subscribed! :patriot:
x2 I just broke off the return line nipple off my power steering reservoir and need to go to the local pick-A-Part to get a new one. I'm thinking on getting one of these instead!

XJRubicon said:
I am going to have to convert my 87' this way too.

XJR

XJR--

Is it a certainty that you can do a direct swap with the pre-'97 XJ? I have a '92 with a failed power steering pump that I've been waiting on replacing until the season is more favorable for outdoor work. Seem like that time is almost here. I would really be bummed about buying a new or used pump if it wasn't a complete bolt-on experience.

1) Will it mount up to the frame of a '92 in exactly the same way as a '99?

2) What method did you use to plug the unneeded secondary hole?

3) Will the pulley be compatible with the current belt, or would I need to swap pulley wheels with my old pump?

4) On my '92, the belt tension is adjusted at the power steering pump bracket, correct? Will this still be true with the pump swap?

Thanks!

--wp

I know the pumps are different between years. I have a 87 pump on my Jeep bolted to a 2000 manifold with a 2000 power steering pump bracket. Both different style of pumps have three mounting tabs but they are oriented just slightly different. In order to get the 87 pump to bolt on to the newer 2000 intake manifold I had to drill out the threads on my 87 pump and that allowed 2 of the three mounting tabs to mount up fine. If I wanted to use the third mounting tab I would need to do a little die grinding on the pump to get the bolt to go through. I am just guessing right now but I bet some of us might have to do this in order for this newer pump to mount up.

When I get my 01 WJ pump I will compare it to my 87 XJ pump. I should be picking mine up on the 31st though so someone might beat me to it!

I dug this up while searching. I need a new power steering pump in my 96 XJ.

Will it work?

What year and engine does the Grand Cherokee need to be? I'm getting mine from the junk yard.

Did you ever take the pics that were requested?

Check the post above yours. 01-04 WJ with the 4.7. May or may not be bolt on for a 96. Results may vary.

I'm going to plan on doing this mod once my PS pump finally dies, sounds like a good idea.

Last edited:
IllianaXJ said:
Check the post above yours. 01-04 WJ with the 4.7. May or may not be bolt on for a 96. Results may vary.

I'm going to plan on doing this mod once my PS pump finally dies, sounds like a good idea.

Yep, just wanted to verify with the OP that he did get the pump off of a 01' WJ with the 4.7L. Sorry, I probably should have stated that.

For the good of the group, 87-95 4.0 PS pumps mount the same and 96-01 4.0 PS pumps mount the same. It sounds like this one mounts similar to the 96+ style and probably would not bolt on to a 95-.

90PioSport99 said:
For the good of the group, 87-95 4.0 PS pumps mount the same and 96-01 4.0 PS pumps mount the same. It sounds like this one mounts similar to the 96+ style and probably would not bolt on to a 95-.

Ok that should work for me since mine is a 96. I'll start calling yards today.

Thanks

Anybody have anymore feedback on using the WJ PS pump? XJR do you have any pics of your pump and the high pressure lines?
Thanks
Bryan

Pictures

Sorry about taking so long on the pic's guys...

Had a lot going on with buying the house and all...

This is the Top View:

The view from the back by the motor mount. (Veiw of my high tech second return line block off)

Here is the stock hose for the 99' being used on the stock 99' fitting on the pump.

As you can see, some fluid has built up on the res cap from the running angles we put this thing through. Have not had to add fluid yet, but I would say we have put over 1500 miles on it. The ribbing of the spark plug gives the second return line hose clamp something to bite onto. Obviously, a regular hose plug of some kind would work fine. Its not a high pressure fitting.

Let me know if you need anything I will try to get back to you ASAP.
Thanks!
XJR

Last edited:
What are your recommendations for adapting this to the 87-95 years, as you have an 87. Have you had a chance to research the application of the '01GC 4.7L pump to those years?

90Blue_XJ said:
What are your recommendations for adapting this to the 87-95 years, as you have an 87. Have you had a chance to research the application of the '01GC 4.7L pump to those years?

The PS hose on the 87' is the same as was on our 99' so theres is no issue there.

The best way I can see of converting a renix would be to upgrade to a H.O. intake as well. Then it would be a non-issue and would bolt right on.
Not sure on the water pump though.... Some where around 96' and up they changed the PS mounting bolt hole location. So I would say 96' and down for the intake, or the water pump would need to be changed as well.

I can't remember if I did a write up on the H.O. intake swap or not, but its really not that hard of a thing to do.

I still have the H.O. intake on my 87' but the PS mounting holes have been plasma cut off so i could run my old pump. At the time I had everything out of the XJ, axles, engine, tranny, t case... I was getting it ready for the 20th anny of the XJ back in 03'. I had other things to worry about so a bracket was made to run the old style renix pump on the newer H.O. intake.

If anyone is interested in this it no longer of use to me.
Bolt in swap for the old style pump on H.O.

XJR

Does anyone know what makes the difference in pressure between the stock pump and the WJ pump? Is it just maybe a valve or is the pump actually internally different?

Thanks in advance!

FordGuy said:
I installed the PSC pump, box and there 10" cooler and I have got to say, it is unbelievable how easy it steers. It was worth every cent!

I did almost same thing plus added the overdrive pully. Now I can turn my aired down 35" Krawlers in the rocks while locked.http://www.pscmotorsports.com/pp2401-45-diameter-serpentine-6-rib-tc-pump-p-260.html
Belt was an off the shelf Advanced Auto. Size about 1.5" shorter. Acording to Goatmans steering guru Tommy Lee, the problem is the pump has a lack of flow and pressure at low RPM's. All TC pumps will have this problem. The pully takes care of that and a 4.0 will never rev high enough to cause problems with the pump over reving.

I'm eyeballing the overdrive pulley. I'm running a durango box which is a huge improvement over stock. Stock pump still.

I just put this on my 95 xj with the 4.0 HO. seems to work great. ordered a new pump from autozone for $116. (02 grand cherokee with 4.7) i did however have to make a few mods....

1. took the high pressure fitting from the xj pump (fit just right into the wj pump... only difference is the inner diameter where the hard line comes in.)

2. wj pump had no thread where the bolts go???? had to tap them with M10x 1.5 (make sure you do them in the right direction)

3. because of the bigger bolt, i had to ream the bracket where the two bolts come in from the back (two that are used to adjust where the pulley sits.

4. i went with the psc overdrive pulley (4.5"). make sure you talk to a tech to order the right one.... two jeep pulleys, one is offset for different years.

seems to have a huge power gain so far, ill post again in a few months and let you know how its holding up. thanks for the tip!

Back