• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

POWER Steering

I did this to my 01 over the weekend. It bolted right in with the HP fitting swap, no issues with the non-threaded part, the back side of my bracket had the threads.

I got mine from the salvage yard off an 04 WJ Overland with the 4.7HO for $50 (+ $10 for core/enviro fee and tax).

The reservoir sits taller than my stock 01 pump, so I was concerned about hood clearance, but it fits fine.

It feels better than stock, but doesn't seem to be a "miracle fix". We'll see how it works out.

I'm eyeballing the overdrive pulley. I'm running a durango box which is a huge improvement over stock. Stock pump still.
That Durango box is news to me what year and motor did you use? Is it a direct bolt up or what? TIA
:NAXJA::cheers:

hard to figure out the definitive answer for the older rigs on here? I have n 89, so I have to swap the intake manifold (which is a lot of work) and then get the new power steering bracket and pump off of a WJ of the right year, and swap all of that in? At what point is it just worth it to upgrade to a PSC pump for the additional money? Sounds like this beast might get up there in $$$'s all on its own, maybe even more expensive than the PSC?

Web Wheelers...:roflmao:

We did the swap in a couple hours with no new parts. Pump had 80k miles on it when I put it in.
We have not had any problems at all with this setup.

Cost for me to install was $0, I had the things laying around. Prices can go all over the place for different people. The only thing you really need is a plug, and the pump and tank. The swap could be sourced for VERY cheap from a junkyard, or expect to pay big money for new. Either way, you will be happy with the increased steering responsiveness and overall power over stock.

Yeah, we have cracked the unibody, but I would say the 33" Swampers and 6 foot snowbank launches had more to do with that then the pump.
A steering brace is a must on ANY XJ that goes offroad with larger tires.
That goes without saying.

I have heard PSC pumps are junk, but thats just my opinion.

For those who have bought the new pump:
If you could post up the part number with the correct pulley, We would all appreciate it!

Thanks!
XJR

Web Wheelers...:roflmao:

We did the swap in a couple hours with no new parts. Pump had 80k miles on it when I put it in.
We have not had any problems at all with this setup.

Cost for me to install was $0, I had the things laying around. Prices can go all over the place for different people. The only thing you really need is a plug, and the pump and tank. The swap could be sourced for VERY cheap from a junkyard, or expect to pay big money for new. Either way, you will be happy with the increased steering responsiveness and overall power over stock.

Yeah, we have cracked the unibody, but I would say the 33" Swampers and 6 foot snowbank launches had more to do with that then the pump.
A steering brace is a must on ANY XJ that goes offroad with larger tires.
That goes without saying.

For those who have bought the new pump:
If you could post up the part number with the correct pulley, We would all appreciate it!

Thanks!
XJR

I bought a new oem pump that cam with a pulley and reservoir. Are you looking for the stock part number for the pulley that comes with it? Why, I figured that I would have to interchange mine.

[FONT=&quot]After three junk pumps from Napa, Auto Zone and Carquest, I tried a PSC pump. Two years and no problems.
Had the same problem with rebuilt steering boxes from Napa and Carquest.
Neither of them was cooperative when I returned the defective boxes. I almost had to fight them to get my money back.
Got an extreme duty box (bigger cylinder) from PSC and it had problems BUT they shipped a new box out immediately. This one has worked great for a year now.
The pump and box provide quiet, powerful steering. YMMV[/FONT]

Sell parts in classifieds...

Last edited by a moderator:
you can also go to www.westtexasoffroad.com to their TECH section,
Follow the instructions how to get more pressure & flow from your stock power steering pump. It's a very easy mod, it involves drilling one hole larger & removing a washer or two. This mod generates more flow at low RPMs. It benefits both non- hydro assist boxes & boxes tapped for hydro assist. Plus it's free!

I've got the wj pump installed with the stock high pressure hose and the fitting changed on the pump. I bored out the fitting to the same size as the wj one.

Here is the problem. I've tried bleeding over and over and I am still getting a bunch of noise from my wj pump. I made sure it was full before starting and I've cranked the steering back and forth a bunch to try and bleed it ,but I'm still having the issue. It whines like crazy, especially when revved.

Any Ideas?

Sounds like a great upgrade for me too. I just fixed my pump-to-reservoir leak (o-ring), only to now find that my pump is probably going out. It makes noise when cold like it's low on fluid...when in fact its not low.

I too would love to see pics and have more info on the high pressure line and plugged return work necessary to make the swap. I'm only running 33's, but more power can't be a bad thing!

Back