• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

POWER Steering

My guess is yes. However you will need to verify a few things.

1) if your PS pump is the same between a 96-01 XJ. I think it would be
2) your gearbox needs to be cross referenced as well.

Surf O'Reilly auto website and under the parts page description they have a compatibility list.

I am almost finished with this upgrade. I will be posting the write-up on my site.

These are the parts I did go with
Steering Gearbox – #27-6528 cost $125.00 + core (Find on FS Cherokee, FS wagoneers, J10s, j20s and all YJ Wranglers)
Power steering pump w/reservoir - #20-62608 cost 120.00 + core (Find on 2002-’04 Grand Cherokees)
High Pressure Hose - #80290 cost $20.00 (find on ’97-’01 Cherokee 4.0L)
Return line hose – 3/8” PS hose cost $2.50 per foot (3 ft with cooler)
Hayden PS cooler kit - #1010 cost $25.00
PS fluid filter – 20-0038F cost $12.00 (serviceable)

I also did a water pump and other things but I should have results back this weekend.

Update:

I am still fighting getting air out of the system. I think it may have been pulling ti in thru the 2 piece filter on the low pressure line. I am working on that now. If that doesn do it then It has to be coming from the O-rings at the reservoir to pump seal as that had to be split to chage out the pump fitting.

I have had it out and when it did work for those brief moments it was awesome.

Just picked up my 01 V8 gc power steering pump from the parts store. took the old one out of my 99 xj and pulled the high pressure fitting off. i went to put it on the GC power steering pump and it is still too small. is there something im missing here? any help would be great

I dont know but I gave up on the WJ 4.7 PS pump idea. I tried and tried and not matter what that sucker whined to no end and then when I tried replacing the reservoir seal it just leaked more. I went back to the regualr XJ pump.

The gearbox swap I did has helped a lot too. I am going to order a overdrive pulley from PSC for my pump. I am running a cooler as well so I am calling it a day on this project.

I dont know but I gave up on the WJ 4.7 PS pump idea. I tried and tried and not matter what that sucker whined to no end and then when I tried replacing the reservoir seal it just leaked more. I went back to the regualr XJ pump.

The gearbox swap I did has helped a lot too. I am going to order a overdrive pulley from PSC for my pump. I am running a cooler as well so I am calling it a day on this project.

I'm going through the exact same thing with my WJ pump! I wish someone could figure this out... :helpme:

Btw, I used the XJ fitting and did NOT enlarge the hole.

Last edited:
This being a very old thread which swap is simpler the Durango swap or the WJ?

That's two different things

1 is the durango gearbox swap the other is a WJ 4.7 PS pump swap

I did the YJ Gearbox swap. Its a fixed ratio and not variable like the stock XJ. As far as I know the reason behind the Durango box swap is its bigger, I could be wrong.

I'm going through the exact same thing with my WJ pump! I wish someone could figure this out... :helpme:

Btw, I used the XJ fitting and did NOT enlarge the hole.

I used the XJ fitting as well. I had to seperate the reservoir from the pump to change out the fitting and I think thats where the whining is coming from. Its sucking air into the pump from the res seal. It maybe tight enough for fluid NOT to leak but when the pump is running is bad enough for the pump to suck air in.

That's my theory anyways and I', sticking to it:rolleyes:

I will say this during the brief moments of sanity when the WJ pump was working the steering was very nice. but marginally better then what i have now.

there is room enough for 2 or 3 o-rings on the sleeve, so you may want to try and put a couple on there. i know when i resealed my pump/res. the one o-ring was a little loose fitting. i think the pump had worn a very slight groove into it from the old 0-ring that became very stiff. once i put another one on and just stacked them, it felt ALOT tighter.

That's two different things

1 is the durango gearbox swap the other is a WJ 4.7 PS pump swap

I did the YJ Gearbox swap. Its a fixed ratio and not variable like the stock XJ. As far as I know the reason behind the Durango box swap is its bigger, I could be wrong.

Crap, you're right. I need to pay attention (n)

there is room enough for 2 or 3 o-rings on the sleeve, so you may want to try and put a couple on there. i know when i resealed my pump/res. the one o-ring was a little loose fitting. i think the pump had worn a very slight groove into it from the old 0-ring that became very stiff. once i put another one on and just stacked them, it felt ALOT tighter.

I read on other threads that the whining can come from the fact of using the wrong return fitting on the reservoir. You're supposed to use the bigger/lower one and not the small nipple. I however used the small nipple and I have not gotten any whine. Since it's a higher volume pump, it would make sense the larger return line would be used.

Another option is to reuse the XJ reservoir.

On the fitting from the reservoir to the pump, I too used something like 2-3 o-rings to prevent leaking.

So....I just did this on my 99 while replacing the ps hoses and steering box with a rebuilt and tapped unit from Can Man. It went together pretty easily but I should note that I had previously modified the xj high pressure fitting a 'la West Texas Offroad. It's drilled out to whatever size they recommend. All I actually moved was the screw in fitting itself, nothing under neath it.

I don't know if I haven't bled the system properly or if it's the size of the modified orifice, but it moans like a banshee when turning. I must say that it turns much easier though. Any thoughts?

Well it sat overnight and I bled it again and it's much quieter now. Still some noise but not near as noticeable.

I did manage to break the clock sprig though.....sad panda.

Guess who forgot to remove the plastic dust cap and plug the extra reservoir hole?

This guy.

Back