• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Pismo M&G?

SeansXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Well i have been wanting to get out to Pismo in the XJ for a few years now. Im thinking of a late summer trip(August) out there. I know the camping can be hard to find unless you reserve like a year in advance but maybe we can get lucky? Im gonna call around.

anyone interested?

Sean

dude, camping isnt hard to find. I used to live at pismo on the weekends, when i was in school in SLO. Just show up, if its a big weekend then yes make reservations, if its some random ass weekend, just call and see whats up, and the correct name is Oceano dunes, dont make a reservation for pismo beach or youll get pismo beach, lol..two different places.

Yeah you have to reserve early for the big days like the 4th of july. most other days you just show up.

Maybe ill tag along on my quad with ya guys.

word of advice, bring some pieces of plywood to place on the ocean side of your rig when you camp at night. the wind can be terrible, just place the wood from the ground up to the rockers it helps alot if you sitting on the other side of the jeep,otherwise you get sand on everything

I've been wanting to go there myself. I'll keep an eye on this thread for dates.

yeah Oceano dunes, most people don't know that so i put Pismo as a more general idea. sounds good then, maybe we could get a few guys to get a date so we could make a plan out of it....whatever works, this is mainly a feeler.

If you can get there maybe mid week-ish and stay for the weekend you will have better luck. Pm Jeepcherokeeboy97, he works for them. If anything you can get a site at the Oceano campgrounds, which is right off the beach. I live in the area as well. (=

I didn't even know there were camp sites? Ive been a bunch of times and we always just find a spot in the dunes and park our jeeps in a circle, and put the fire and tents in the middle. Where are the sites?

EDIT: Are you talking about where all the RVs stay, near the entrance?

Ben

yeh there is RV parking and camp spots along the back where the dunes are. i know there is more though, not sure where besides on the beach.

On the beach itself.. there is no real "campsite" It is basically where you end up. Then best place is right off the sand highway, where there is a bathroom.

no were talkin about the aceano dunes campground i think, its right before you drive onto the beach.

i always thought the beach camping was a year in advance thing on most any summer day due to the RV guys, i want to look into it more.

Last edited:
Pm Jeepcherokeeboy97 .. he works for them.

Alright guys, hopefully I can clear up any confusion. ODSVRA (oceano dunes state vehicular recreation area) is camping on the beach itself. We have 1,000 "camp sites" here. As soon as you get onto the beach from pier ave. The camping starts 1 mile to the left. All you do is pull up to a nice sandy spot you like and set up camp. Simple as that. We charge $10 a night to camp. All sites are subject to reservations, however, We do take walk-ins when available. We are basically only sold out on holidays. You can make a reservation up to 7 months in advance and have to make a reservation a minimum of 48 hours in advance. You can do this by calling 1-800-444-PARK (7275) or go to reserveamerica.com this is how you make reservations for any california state park.

Now, pismo state beach oceano campground is located right down the street from the entrance to the dunes and is NOT on the beach. At this campground, there are hook ups and dry camping sites. we have showers, bathrooms, and designated camp sites. In my opinion, this campground is far better than the oceano dunes camping. The price difference is $15 dollars a night. But, the camping pass you receive here will also get you onto the beach for free. And is valid until day use ends at 11pm. You are allowed 3 license plates per camp site here but each additional vehicle is $5 a night. The extra vehicles can also access the beach for free as well. If you have any other questions feel free to message me.

-nick

Back