• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Picking a cage...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mark Smith said:
...The stock 3pt belts will stretch like rubber....
Alright, I'm not a welder, I'm not a race car driver, I have no degree's, and I usually don't step into these "flame-fests", but I do have plenty of seat time in accidents. I have PERSONALLY driven my XJ off of a 6 ft. high bridge, going between 20-30 mph. There was NO stretch in that belt. There was no give, it didn't even allow me to move forward far enough for the airbag to hit me.

Alright, now I can sit back and enjoy the show again....:wave:

nhrocker said:
Alright, I'm not a welder, I'm not a race car driver, I have no degree's, and I usually don't step into these "flame-fests", but I do have plenty of seat time in accidents. I have PERSONALLY driven my XJ off of a 6 ft. high bridge, going between 20-30 mph. There was NO stretch in that belt. There was no give, it didn't even allow me to move forward far enough for the airbag to hit me.

Alright, now I can sit back and enjoy the show again....:wave:

Heh. I guarantee you the belt stretched. Your personal experience means nothing when compared to cold hard physical evidence from thousands of real world tests, sled or otherwise. ALL seatbelts stretch in a collision. PERIOD. Even 5 or 6pt harnesses stretch. Ask any manufacturer, they will all tell you that seatbelts stretch to prevent shearing/tearing/snapping/ breakage--whatever the **** you want to call it--you illiterate *****. It's part of the design. That design will cost your life in a cage. That's why you need more mount points and proper seat placement/mounting.

Mark Smith said:
Crawling, mudding, trail rides, dunes, river crossings, streams, stop and go traffic, 70mph on the highway, etc. Plus, I drag race some too. ;)

Cool.

Mark Smith said:
An internal cage does protect it's occupants, IF they have the proper harnesses and cage installation. READ IT AGAIN. I said the Exo can do something the internal cage cannot--protect the truck from external damage.

Mark Smith said:
An ExoCage protects the truck and the occupants. Something an internal cage cannot do.
The way its written, any dumbass could read it and think it said that an internal cage cannot protect them. Like I said, it will not do anything for the body.

Mark Smith said:
Drag racers do you have external cages: the entire fucking chassis is a cage. Holy shit! Reading Comp, bitches!

How? They have fuckin body panels on the outside of them dipshit! Now how is that a exo cage? Not going to protect them from serious body damage, like an exo on a wheelin rig would.

When I build my cage I will not be worried about creature comforts like the glove box, not a concern. I was just wondering what would be stronger between the two since the both were accomplishing the same thing. I would just run the bar straight down in front of the glove box and if it dont open oh well. Id rather have a good cage and have a little bit of trouble getting into my heep. Once you are in I doubt the bar would be in the way

I intend to run the tube in my pillar hoops down to the floor where it will go through the floor to a support comming out of the main support beam, perhaps the ones for my rock sliders with the floors sheet metal welded to the bar (just to seal up the floor for a clean install)

the sad thing is this probably wont be here tomorrow.

12GaugeXJ said:
Cool.

The way its written, any dumbass could read it and think it said that an internal cage cannot protect them. Like I said, it will not do anything for the body.

How? They have fuckin body panels on the outside of them dipshit! Now how is that a exo cage? Not going to protect them from serious body damage, like an exo on a wheelin rig would.

Funny, I read it over and over and it makes perfect sense to me. Maybe it's my Southern Charm? ;)

Drag cars have a complely tubular chassis (which is basically an exo cage because bodypanels are all CF monocoques--its all about showboating and cosmetics on the outside--and it's easy to repair CF or glass). Apples to oranges! We're talking unibodies here. Also, those drag cars have kirkey racing seats or CF Sparco seats these days. The seats are specifically mounted to keep the driver's head as far away from any tubing as possible. They also use FIA approved padding and SNELL-rated helmets. So it's like comparing an XJ to an F16. ;)

Skyjacker, I could care less. I'm no fence sitter like you. I am a misanthropic paradox to those indoctrinated by popular culture, and my ideals and convictions tend to stir either love or hate from those I interact with. Which is fine by me, as I have no use for fence sitters. Sitting on the fence will get you the animosity of those the fence separates, not the neutrality so desparately sought. So STFU or post some tech, bitch!

this is way beyond tech Mrs. Smith. your feathers must be really rustled up . im just sitting back enjoying and throwing in smart ass comments where they belong..
stfu_lg.gif

Dear mods,

Please do not delete this thread as I have intentions of showing it at work tomorrow so we all may laugh at some of the comments made here. After that it will be okay to delete as we will have had our share of laughter. Thank you for your consideration.

Best regards,

Mike L.

Mike L said:
Dear mods,

Please do not delete this thread as I have intentions of showing it to all my friends at work tomorrow so we all may laugh at some of the comments made here. After that it will be okay to delete as we will have had our share of laughter. Thank you for your consideration.

Best regards,

Mike L.
:thumbup:

Mark Smith said:
Drag cars have a complely tubular chassis (which is basically an exo cage because bodypanels are all CF monocoques--its all about showboating and cosmetics on the outside--and it's easy to repair CF or glass)

Still not a true exo cage. They got body panels of some sort on the outside of the cage, like a XJ. A true exo cage would be outside of the body panels, wether they are made from steel, fiberglass, plastic, tampons, used TP, yesterdays diarreah. Correct?

Mark Smith said:

So STFU or post some tech, bitch!

How old are we? :rolleyes:

Me, young.

Mark Smith said:
Funny, I read it over and over and it makes perfect sense to me. Maybe it's my Southern Charm? ;)

Drag cars have a complely tubular chassis (which is basically an exo cage because bodypanels are all CF monocoques--its all about showboating and cosmetics on the outside--and it's easy to repair CF or glass). Apples to oranges! We're talking unibodies here. Also, those drag cars have kirkey racing seats or CF Sparco seats these days. The seats are specifically mounted to keep the driver's head as far away from any tubing as possible. They also use FIA approved padding and SNELL-rated helmets. So it's like comparing an XJ to an F16. ;)

Skyjacker, I could care less. I'm no fence sitter like you. I am a misanthropic paradox to those indoctrinated by popular culture, and my ideals and convictions tend to stir either love or hate from those I interact with. Which is fine by me, as I have no use for fence sitters. Sitting on the fence will get you the animosity of those the fence separates, not the neutrality so desparately sought. So STFU or post some tech, bitch!

Dude, you are a moron. Skyjacked98 maybe a post whore, but he's not full of shit. . . unlike you. I call BS on everything you've posted up thus far.

Seriously, go choke on a XXXX.

Last edited:
OT said:
:thumbup:
just shoot it, or at least lock it. let the stupidity end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back