• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Oxygen Sensors

Root Moose

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys, what's the latest guidance of O2 sensors?

2001 MY if it matters.

Stant? Other?

Also, wideband sensors? I've got the cat section tapped so while I'm at it...

Thx

x2 on NTK. They are OEM. Get the ones that just plug into the harness, not splice in. Stant makes O2 sensors?

I recommend the NGK Powerdex wideband system. Although I have been very happy with my Dayton Sensors WEGO II for many years.

Hey guys, what's the latest guidance of O2 sensors?

2001 MY if it matters.

Stant? Other?

Also, wideband sensors? I've got the cat section tapped so while I'm at it...

Thx

I prefer Bosch for OEMR on American or European, NTK for Japanese/Asian (Bosch invented the thing, and they're OEM for about 3/5 of the marketplace, I think.)

I want to recall that ACDelco is reboxed Bosch, but I can't swear to it.

Wideband? Get a kit from someone like Innovate Motorsports or similar, I think they usually use four-wire or five-wire NTK units with a broad response curve. (That's one of the mods I want to do as part of the refit for my 88 anyhow...)

So my local NAPA wants ~$400 for all four sensors... yeah, no...

Rock-auto doesn't seem to have all four.

Other sources?

Last edited:
I stand corrected, Rock-Auto does have them... didn't scroll far enough combined with reading in interlaced mode.

Getting back to the wideband thing... anyone know of a package that uses an Android app for the gauge/interface?

Thinking about pulling the trigger on one of those 2 DIN Android 4.x touch screen head units and if it could act as the AFR gauge via some software... I haven't researched this at all yet, just spit balling for now.

Getting back to the wideband thing... anyone know of a package that uses an Android app for the gauge/interface?

Thinking about pulling the trigger on one of those 2 DIN Android 4.x touch screen head units and if it could act as the AFR gauge via some software... I haven't researched this at all yet, just spit balling for now.

Most of the AFR gauges on the market will output a 0-5V or 0-4V signal to connect to another computer or data logger. However all of them require the gauge itself to do that, you can't just use the sensor by itself. The other day I did see that Innovate Motorsports has a new AFR controller that is headless. Seemed pretty cool but I haven't see anyone talking about using it yet.

http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/products/lc2.php

All that to say - if you can take a 0-5V input on the Android and put it on a gauge, it could definitely work.

Can you send me the link to that Android touch screen? I'm interested as well.

Really? I've been using them for years without incident. What trouble have you had?

bosch seems to be stuffing the same made in china crap as the low end parts and charging a premium because it comes in a box with their name on it.

I used NTK in my new to me 90 and have been very pleased.
like 25 MPG on the highway pleased.

Can you send me the link to that Android touch screen? I'm interested as well.

I made an offer (shipping is too high) on this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Android-4-1...&rkt=6&sd=161248363750&rt=nc&autorefresh=true

Comes with a rear view camera and has the faster processor (dual core 1.2 Ghz A9) so that's why I went with this one.

There is another model that only has a left side set of buttons and knob that comes with the same "guts" it seems. I didn't go with that one because in all the youtube reviews pressing those buttons sounded horrible (cheap, plasticicky, at least more so than the first unit).

There is a third model that is most all screen with a set of buttons across the bottom. I like the look of that one (minimalist) but it seems to rely on WinCE to run the GPS and Android for the rest of the functions. WinCE is stupid/old and a hybrid system sounds like it'll be a PITA in the end.

If you search for "Android 4.x head unit 2 din" you'll get enough listings to make your eyes bleed.

These are all 2 DIN so some work is required to get it in the dash, at least in my 2001. I don't remember if the earlier Jeeps are 1.5 or 2 DIN. If you search there is a write up on making it fit in the 1.5 DIN dash. It's not too terrible. I can scare it up if you can't find the write up. I have it filed here somewhere.

bosch seems to be stuffing the same made in china crap as the low end parts and charging a premium because it comes in a box with their name on it.

Yeah, every one seems to be getting burned by the Chinese not understanding quality control concepts. I thought it was getting better but...

Every new car I've bought in the last 15 years has had to go back to the dealer for wheel bearings within 20k miles. WTF? That's about four cars. Before that wheel bearings were almost a life of the car kind of thing in my experience.

Even the Audi A4 I bought last year had to go for wheel bearings. So the Germans are not doing anything any better than the Japanese or Americans when it comes to Chinese source parts.

NTK from RockAuto are very reasonably priced. I just replaced mine on '98 and were IIRC like $30-$32 each.

I used NTK in my new to me 90 and have been very pleased.
like 25 MPG on the highway pleased.

Bugger. At least the NTKs are still made in Japan, right?

Damn. Bosch parts were always so good...

(Kinda like Norinco firearms - I wouldn't take money to take one off of somebody's hands, made past 1975. Why? Because that's when the Russians left the Norinco factory to the Chinese. The Russians may have had extremely shoddy tolerances, but they were good in QC...)

The Chinese can make decent stuff - IFF you have a QC engineer breathing down their necks AT ALL TIMES. (not a typo.)

Bugger. At least the NTKs are still made in Japan, right?

yep.

I quit buying bosch when they closed the local plant that made brake parts and moved it overseas. I can pay less than they want for overseas parts.

Back