• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2001 xj NKG 02 sensors

Xjin85

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys,

So my 2001 xj has been idling a bit rough and shakes going more than 40MPH. The check engine light is on so I ran some codes and I came up with:

P0158
Bank 2, Sensor 2
Oxygen Sensor
SHORTENED TO VOLTAGE.

So I am planning on changing both sensors in Bank 2:

-Sensor 2 (downstream sensor) and Sensor 1 (upstream Sensor)for good measure.

So I have a few questions before I get started.

1) Are the sensors I need to order #23110 (pre-cat) and #23099 (post-cat) for bank 2?

I need DIRECT FIT O2 sensors for 2001 XJ... federal Omissions (not CA compliant). From my research here on the forums, it seems NGK 02 sensors seem to be the best. But I a confused about which part numbers I should buy to replace both sensors for bank 2.

I found these that I think will fit Bank 2 sensor 2 with a direct fit. Will these work?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001PNCKJA/ref=ox_sc_act_title_6?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

I can't seem to find an NGK DIRECT FIT 02 sensor for Bank 2 sensor 1 that matches. Can anyone give me a link?

2) I also came up with code:

P0456
Evaporative Emissions Leak
Monitor Small Leak DETECTED

This makes sense as my exhaust system is rusted and is barely hanging on. I am in need of a full replacement probably. I was thinking of just buying a new car all together (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001NZYMGO/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=AB9Z3SET61WJF&psc=1 ) snd just install the o2 sensors directly into the new cat before install. I like the thought of having a dual exaust.

What do you guys think?

I am little confused.
While not a 100% sure, but pretty sure, I always thought that all '01's were CA Emissions.
In the US that is.
Also you use the word precat which is confusing me more.
So assuming you do have the dual front cat just under the 2 piece exhaust manifold then these are what I believe you need.
What I purhcased for my '00 CA Emissions XJ.

23151 is Upstream; Cylinders 1,2,3; Bank 1 Sensor 1; Calif. Emissions

23110 is Downstream; Cylinders 1,2,3; Bank 1 Sensor 2; Calif. Emissions

23506 is Upstream Cylinders 4,5,6 Bank 2 Sensor 1

23099 is Downstream Cylinders 4,5,6 Bank 2 Sensor 2.

I am also almost positive that a Federal Emissions '00 would use two of those same sensors.
But the Bank 2 ones.
One at the end of the downpiple before it connects to the cat in front of the muffler and the other one at the end of the cat just before the muffler.
In a CA Emissions the upstreams are in the 2 piece exhaust manifold and the downstreams are just below the cats on the front dual cat.

As far as the P0456 I had one once and a new gas cap solved that problem.

Back