• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Over the knuckle (loss of turn radius)

Any ideas on a pitman arm that might work?

If you are using a heim joint and bolt to attach the drag link to the pitman arm, then you can use a Dodge 2500 4x4 pitman arm. Since the taper is opposite of the Cherokee's you need to drill it out. The one I picked up from the JY bolted up to my Cherokee box and is longer than stock with more drop than the drop pitman arm I had before. My turning radius is back to normal now.

Gamma is the only one that hit it right - you destroyed the Ackerman angle on your rig...

spend some time researching ackerman - on google and the sites listed above.

this is the exact reason that the WJ 'high steer' with a right hand drive WJ knuckle, and true high steer sucks - it does the same thing to the ackerman.

ok so a potential solution to this guys problem is to continue the angle of the OEM knuckles with his extensions instead of just extending straight forward, yes?

ok so a potential solution to this guys problem is to continue the angle of the OEM knuckles with his extensions instead of just extending straight forward, yes?
exactly.

I used a Waggy drop pitman on my Teraflex high steer and it helped a bit. The Ackerman is still out of whack, but it turns better than with the stock pitman.

I can't go straight forward without interference with the tire? Straight forward would be following the same "angle as OEM Knuckles". I had to move the drag link and tie rod (heim joint) attach point inboard and forward to clear the tire.

I'm going to mock up another set up that moves the tie rod back toward the axle and see how that works. As well I want to see if a longer pitman will help.

longer pitman WILL help

im not too savvy with that ackerman angle stuff, byt as you increase the length of your knuckles, you need to lengthen the pitman arm the same amount if you want the same steering throw

Old thread questions remain. How have people dealt with this issue? I have searched but rather start a new thread Ill just ask here.

My setup
94xj sport
Wj brake upgrade
v8 zj steering including pitman arm.
severe loss of right turn radius

Back