• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Opinions about Rough Country

I had a rough country 3.5" lift on my first comanche for a while and it worked fine. I later changed out most of the components to get more lift. If you want to save some money Jason at 4X4groupbuys.com lowered the price of the RE 5.5 MJ kit to about the same price as the rough country kit.

6.5" is alot for short arms.

I have regretted buying every product I have ever bought from Rough Country. Sagged coils, a trackbar bracket that (after I beat the snot out of it to make it fit) re-centered my axle but gave me bumpsteer, swaybar disconnects that came with the wrong bolts and were noisy as hell from day one and overall were just plain cheap.

I am not one to ususally bash a product or company, but there's no way I'll ever buy another of their products, because in the long run trying to save $$$ by buying RC products has left me spending twice as much after replacing them.

If the RE 4.5 is comparably priced, you'd be getting alot more for your money with RE.

It seems to me that the new RC stuff is better than the old - the old equipment was sortof hit and miss in the quality dept, and this has left many (and most people) with a negative impression as to the worksmanship placed into Rough Country products

Broken AAL's? how, where, why, when?
Sagged out springs - how old?

I'm doing some serious shopping and plan to buy and install a kit within a month - under 4 inches, preferably 3. Having looked at several Budget boost options - RE kits, Rancho Kits, Fabtech (insert the rest of the off-road world here) coming across the 3 inch Rough Country kit seemed like a heck of a bargain (which is exactly what I am into - being a high schooler and all)

If I was to order the RC kit say, tomorrow, could I count on the product shipped to me, and any customer service after the fact?

XplodJeepster said:
It seems to me that the new RC stuff is better than the old - the old equipment was sortof hit and miss in the quality dept, and this has left many (and most people) with a negative impression as to the worksmanship placed into Rough Country products

Broken AAL's? how, where, why, when?

I'm doing some serious shopping and plan to buy and install a kit within a month - under 4 inches, preferably 3. Having looked at several Budget boost options - RE kits, Rancho Kits, Fabtech (insert the rest of the off-road world here) coming across the 3 inch Rough Country kit seemed like a heck of a bargain (which is exactly what I am into - being a high schooler and all)

If I was to order the RC kit say, tomorrow, could I count on the product shipped to me, and any customer service after the fact?

Seriously, save your money and buy RE, you won't regret it like some of us. My coils waited about 6 months in the box before I put them in, sagged within 3. Customer service is nonexistaent to just plain stupid. I saved the return emails from them just so I'd have something to make me laugh once in a while.

I started with 3" RC coils, one of which broke after a year. I -emailed their customer service and talked then with them on the phone. Their service was excellent. The offered to replace the 3" coils and pay the shipping to Canada. I talked them into giving me a credit for them and instead upgraded to 4.5" coils and had them send an adjustable trac bar as well. We split the cost of shipping. I was very pleased with their service and the 4.5" coils have stood upto my moderate wheeling for the last 5 years. Currently they are incorporated into my 7.5" lift with 2" spacers. Still doing fine but limit my flex due to the coils completly comprssing. Time for some 6.5"!!! As for ride,stiffer than the stock coils were but 100X better than the Rancho 3" coils my dad has in his XJ!

BlackSport96 said:
I noticed that the Rough Country 6.5" X something lift is only $50 more than the RE 4.5". It looked pretty comprehensive. IIRC it even had an SYE/CV driveshaft, adj UCAs and adj LCAs, an adj track bar and some other stuff. I'll look into it more and post more info. I gotta find the ad or a webpage. The whole package was advertised at $995 in either 4Wheeler&Off-road or 4wdand Sport-Utility.

Oops, just realized I was still in OEM tech...

you are quoting RE website for that price right..
Call up dpg offroad and see how much they want ..
then call Alex at porc I bet he can beat that price by a bunch

Brian Felts said:
from Tennessee so I liked the fact that it was made in Tennessee.They Stand behind their products.

They sure do!
I had so many problems with my RC lift (saggy springs, crap bushings). They have no problem sending out replacements. I think they know what a crappy product they have and want to keep people somewhat happy.
I ended up replacing my 4.5" RC lift with RE parts. I can't believe the difference in quality.
You truly get what you pay for in XJ lifts. Is your life worth $50?

cLAYH said:
I started with 3" RC coils, one of which broke after a year. I -emailed their customer service and talked then with them on the phone. Their service was excellent. The offered to replace the 3" coils and pay the shipping to Canada.

You BROKE a coil spring and you stayed with RC? What if that broke on the highway at 70mph.....

XplodJeepster said:

Within a couple of months they had began to sag (no, not just "settling - sagging) and they seemd to lose their stength (spring rate seemed to get softer). After a year they are completely worthless, mushy garbage. Replaced with Rubicon Express.

If you are dead set on buying a less expensive lift I'd go with Rusty's over RC, but the smart money goes to Rubicon Express or a like-quality product.

Damn you guys are scaring me! I put in a RC 2" AAL a year ago (when they say "rough" they ain't kidding!) It gave me 3" at first and settled to 2", and yes it softened up a bit. It was supposed to be a temporary thing and this thread is inspiring me to make it so!

saki669 said:
You BROKE a coil spring and you stayed with RC? What if that broke on the highway at 70mph.....

What do you think happened? The front end dropped 2". Its not like when I busted a control arm and then drove home before noticing. Suck it up princess, breakage is a standard occurance when you actually wheel your rig.

cLAYH said:
Suck it up princess, breakage is a standard occurance when you actually wheel your rig.

You must have been wheelin it pretty hard down that highway to bust a coil.

It took all of 2 trips for me to completely shred my RC control arm bushings. It became quickly apparent that RC is crapola if you leave the pavement. (or in your case stay on the pavement).

Back