• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

One of them hybrid cage builds (lots of pics)

One question I don't remember being asked. Are your front seats still mounted in the stock location? So the pic showing your drivers seat all the way back against the B-pillar cross bar, is that slid all the way back or does the cross bar stop it there? Just trying to get an idea of how far back youre still able to slide the seat in relation to a stock xj

I know this is an old thread, but my question pertains to tying an exo cage into the body of the XJ. Is it a good idea if I have rear quarter panel armor with a tree bar, to tie that into the cage or would that just cause damage to my quarter panel the first time I took a hit? would welding the cage to the gutters and pillars themselves do any good or should I just tie the cage into the bumpers, sliders, and unibody?

I know this is an old thread, but my question pertains to tying an exo cage into the body of the XJ. Is it a good idea if I have rear quarter panel armor with a tree bar, to tie that into the cage or would that just cause damage to my quarter panel the first time I took a hit? would welding the cage to the gutters and pillars themselves do any good or should I just tie the cage into the bumpers, sliders, and unibody?
where, and how much you tie it in really depends on what you are trying to protect and what you expcet from the cage.
a cage with less solid mounting points will flex a little on impacts, which isnt a bad thing. a heavily tied in cage will not flex easily and on a hard impact, and the force will be transfered to the closest tie-ins.
it's about absorbing and transfering forces evenly... this can lead to cracked welds or sheetmetal if some of these points are weak or unsupported.
i'm not saying more or less is good. i'm saying that wherever you do connect it to the body, make sure it is plated and welded properly to withstand reasonable impact.
and in the end, the only time it will really matter is if you barrel-roll it a few times and then all you want it to do is keep your a-pillar out of your face.

Back